Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Halloween Trip?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
nate
Hello everyone, my name is nate.

For years I have been facinated by prospecting/rockhounding, but have never just gone for it.

As of now, im only a registered guest of CP. Spending some time checking out the website. It looks like there is quite a wealth of information on here for even the public and I'm enjoying it!

What I would truly love is to go out with an experienced rockhounder! If anyone is heading out this Saturday 10/31/15 or any of the upcoming weekends and wouldnt mind a rookie tagging along, please contact me or post here. My goal for this trip wouldnt be to come home with a pocket full of goodies, but instead a notepad full of tips and notes to help me start on my collecting journeys. Id be glad to join you anywhere within a couple hours of Colorado Springs. I feel like I can only learn so much reading through forums and websites. The common thing ive seen on them is GO WITH SOMEONE who knows what they are doing so you dont waste a lot of time.

If you arent going out or prefer going solo, I'd love any advice tips or contacts that may help me as im starting out what i think could be a great hobby!

Thanks,
nate

Woody
Hello Nate,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find some info that helps you out. I've taken a lot of people "beginners" out in the field and I'm sure you can hook-up with
someone that will set you upon the right path. This site is full of helpful people.

I like your approach....

" My goal for this trip wouldnt be to come home with a pocket full of goodies, but instead a notepad full of tips and notes to help me start on my
collecting journeys."

We have all started somewhere, I think the ones that stay with it are the ones who realize what it takes to be successful. Build upon your knowledge one
outing at a time and before long you will be leading the pack.

So tell us about yourself, your ambitions. Where do you come from? What have you been doing the last few years. I for one will be watching, I know
there will be others. Woody.
Crusty
Welcome Nate! Can't say it any better than Woody!

I'm in the Springs; not available this weekend, but I'll hit you up next time I head out locally to kick rocks. :)
nate
Hello to everyone reading!

So i recently moved to Colorado Springs and am looking into what i think will be an exciting new hobby, prospecting!

I grew up in southern appalachia, aka, upstate south Carolina. Ive only lived in Colorado for about 2 and a half years. More or less I moved out here with my brother/long time adventuring partner for the mountains. Living and exploring the southern Appalachian mountains grew my love for the outdoors. I have done a bit of everything I feel like when it comes to the mountains. Backpacking, paddling, rock-climbing, hunting, fishing, snow sports and overall exploring. As the Bible of mountaineering is aptly named "Freedom of the Hills" my heart completely identifies.

Having spent the vast majority of my life near/around montains I grew up seeing the remains of mines and tunnels leaving me with so many questions; what were they looking for? did they find it? is there anything cool i could find? Probably many of you can identify. In checking into it, theres tons of things that people for hundreds of years have found in the hills of north america! And yes, there are cool stones, gems and treasures left to be discovered! What is great about now is that I live so close to the pikes peak batholith and the vast expanses of mineral deposits within!

I would say my primary hobby is rock climbing. The challenge and adventure always draws me in. Its something ive invested time, money and energy in and have introduced countless people to! Hobbies are fun, and even more fun sometimes when you can share them with others! I think i have this view because of the people that introduced me to the hobbies that i now enjoy. I am almost 26 years old, but some of my favorite people are ones i refer to as gray beards. You know, the ones with a little gray in their hair and beards. The ones anyone would love to sit around a fire with and listen to their adventures. The people that inspire you to get out of the house and find an adventure of your own!

My wife and I just moved here 2 months ago after we got married. I work for a respiratory supply company and she is finishing the process of becoming a teacher. She grew up in Buena Vista, Colorado, also with a strong love for the outdoors. My wife is my favorite adventuring partner!

As for my past. I have a marketing degree from Clemson University, of which I havent exactly used yet. I spent 6 years in the world of summer camps, off-seasons doing part time work, a year as a general manager for Waffle House and have been with the respiratory company for closing on a year and a half. I am a people person that also needs my fair share of time adventuring with only a person or 2. My true love and home is the outdoors.

With prospecting, I hope to find a fun hobby to enjoy for years to come. The hours I have already put into learning has excited my brain. From what i can tell, it is a great mix of things I love. It gives me endless amounts of information to learn and share about the outdoors/earth as well as the challenge of actually putting in the work to find something cool. All I hope to gain is some cool information, stories and specimens to share.

I hope that wasnt too much to handle for an about-me post, but I think it will give anyone who cared to read a little insight as to the person that is nate.

Adventure on,
Nate
Crusty
Good read; thanks for sharing Nate!

Looks like the weather takes a down turn in the next week or so, but when it gets nice again, I'd be glad to meet up with you at Bear Creek and show you where I've found some good stuff!
nate
Excellent! Id love to join ya!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.