Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Identify and extract
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Fossil Finds, Processes, Adventures and Outings
aggum1983
Hello I was searching along Boulder creek and came across this. Can anyone identify this and are there any good tips on extracting it from the rock so i don't break it?

Thank you for the tipsClick to view attachment
fenixsmom
Colorado school of mines or the museum may be able to identify the fossil. As far as removal, leave it in the matrix until you speak to a professional. They can give excellent advice on clean up without damaging the actual fossil.
aggum1983
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Oct 7 2015, 11:07 AM) *
Colorado school of mines or the museum may be able to identify the fossil. As far as removal, leave it in the matrix until you speak to a professional. They can give excellent advice on clean up without damaging the actual fossil.

Thank you for the reply Fenixsmom. I did take it to the Paleontology Dept at CU and she said that it was a shell fossil, but can't identify it until more is exposed. She gave me some techniques on how to expose more. Thanks again for the reply
fenixsmom
I'm very happy to help! I'm also glad she gave you some great advice! I hope you'll post the cleaned specimen!
It looks kind of like an oyster shell or a conch. :)
aggum1983
Here is what i have so far. I think there isn't much more to expose
MikeS
QUOTE (aggum1983 @ Jul 2 2016, 09:37 PM) *
Here is what i have so far. I think there isn't much more to expose

It' looks great aggum1983! Good job!
aggum1983
QUOTE (MikeS @ Jul 4 2016, 08:20 PM) *
It' looks great aggum1983! Good job!

Thank you MikeS. I'll work some more and see if there is anything else to expose.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.