Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pick Axe
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Equipment - Prospecting and Lapidary
Davem
I found a pick axe in Custer, SD $5.00 that was in real good shape. The stamp mark was Elliptical with Beall Bros. Alton, ILL. I did a quick net search and they made mining tools but is there any way to date the tool? The two ends of the pick are also a little different, wondering why.
Caveman
Please provide some pictures of this. My old pick-ax has 2 different sides, too. A pick side (pointed) and a chisel side (narrow, flat). Enables one to "pick" at the rock wall, then 'chisel'/'pry' out chunks, or 'smooth' the face. It's big (10#) but you can be amazingly delicate with it.
Davem
It is a Beall Bros. No 7.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-miners-pic...7-/291453960195

It was in a collectibles shop in Custer SD and only $5.00 which seemed pretty cheap. It had a little rust but not much. Yesterday I did an internet search and it seems quite a few are around for $20 so I got a good price but not a steal.

I was wondering how old it might be? I bought a broadax several years back that the stamp indicated a 1820-1830 date of manufacture.

Since there seems to be a lot around and it is not a priceless antique-I want to use it. Last night I boiled and scrubbed the head with steel wool a couple of times to turn the rust black and now it looks almost like it just came from the foundry. I want to put a handle on it. I'm not sure how long the handle should be and if the handle is a pressure fit or you use a wedge. I have some ash I could use or I could buy some hickory.

On the tips, I sort of figured the pointed end and the very narrow chisel end were simply to fit better into various types of rock.

Everyone is doing their own thing. I am sort of a history buff and for me, I like using the old tools even if the new gear does a better job. My thoughts on the pick (placer mining) would be to turn over some heavier rocks in streams, etc. that may be covering cracks, etc. with gold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.