Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Club Member Outings with Mike!
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Colorado Prospector site and club info forums > CP's Past Events
MikeS
I invited all of the Colorado Prospector Club Members to join me on my claim last weekend and we found some nice Goethite, Fluorite and Quartz crystals!
Thanks everyone for coming! A special thanks to those who helped with transportation and to the CP Club for making this possible. smiley-cool14.gif

On Saturday most of us attacked an older dig that has produced some large and unique Goethite in the past. I found a few nice smokey quartz crystals and Dave found a nice blue fluorite cube but it was mostly unproductive. Determined to find big Goethite specimens I went uphill and started tearing at a newer dig that has also produced large Goethite. After digging for the last few hours of the day in the newer spot I found a nice combo of Fluorite and Feldspar on a nice Goethite plate. So on Sunday we attacked that spot and by the end of the day many very nice specimens we harvested.

I only took a few pics in the field and my pictures of the specimens didn't turn out but I will have video edited soon and I will get some good pics of my best finds from the outing.

Here is the few pics I took to get it started.

James, Crusty, Jason and Ian working 3 individual pockets of crystals.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The weather was fantastic besides the haze of smoke coming from the wildfires out west.
Click to view attachment

More pics and video to come.
MikeS
I was able to get a few of the minerals I found a quick cleaning and a few pics of them.

On the first day I found a nice double terminated Quartz crystal and a small piece of Goethite.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

On day 2 I found these Goethite and Fluorite, some of which go together into combos.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The larger Fluorite piece fits perfectly into this smaller Goethite. I think the rest will fit together too.
Click to view attachment
Dave S.
Here are some pics of the minerals from above, cleaned up a bit.

Here is the Fluorite. It has a few cleavage cracks and some inclusions. On the back (pic #4), it has a few micro-minerals and a chunk of host feldspar (pink), that block some of the light passing through the cube.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

This is the Goethite spray(s) on a chunk of included quartz, after a careful brush cleaning.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And a complete tipped quartz crystal with several inclusions, including Mica(several types), Goethite, Hematite, and some red inclusions other than Hematite( I suspect they are Bastnasite-(Ce), and Florencite-(Ce)).

And I am pretty sure some of the black needle inclusions are not Goethite, but instead Plattnerite.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I did not have this piece in the original post, I did not see it till later, after a "cleaning check" for micro- minerals.

I am not sure but I think this little blocky metallic crystal growing on Quartz, is a Columbite-(Mn) crystal. (Formerly known as Maganocolumbite)

I may have to add these pics to the Rare-Earth forum later. I may wait till the Gem show when I can get it identified by a pro.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

CP
Cool pics everyone, looks like ya'll had a blast! Nice finds also, thanks for posting all those up. happy088.gif

For sure Dave, you'll have to add those in the Colorado rare earth thread when you're sure. I really like that last one you think is Columbite, hope it is too. Very unique looking form. signs021.gif
Dave S.
Thank you CP! happy.gif

I just realized I did not spell Manganocolumbite correctly. I forgot the N before the G.

However that is not the new name anyway, under the new naming system, where they put a dash then an elemental symbol of the odd, extra, or rare element in parenthesis.

Just like Columbite-(Mn) {Mn = Manganese}

Tantalite-(Y) {Y = Yttrium} (previously
called Yttro-tantalite - - - a mineral related to Columbite)

or Florencite-(Ce) {Ce = Cerium}
EMac
Thanks a million for having us up! We didn't find anything super exciting, but we definitely learned a bunch and had a great time! Thank you!
Crusty
Haven't gotten my pics d/led to post yet... kinda gave my laptop a little drink of coffee, which it didn't appreciate. :(
MikeS
I finally got some video uploaded from the outing. Enjoy! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
CP Club invite to my claim
MikeS
Dave and I went last Saturday up to the claim to bring up some heavy rock bars and prep for the CP Club Member outing this coming weekend. The wacky weather was friendly enough to let us dig too. I found a few broken Fluorite crystals, several small Quartz crystals and one small ugly Goethite. Took some video....

Black Valley Claim May 2016

If you are a Club Member then be sure to check the protected forums for the invite to my claim!
Dave S.
A quick couple photos of a Goethite from Mike's claim. Found this last weekend.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hope to see ya'll up there this coming weekend! Weather looks like it will be nice!

Crusty
QUOTE (Dave S. @ May 10 2016, 12:53 PM) *
Hope to see ya'll up there this coming weekend! Weather looks like it will be nice!

Looking forward to a fun weekend! happy070.gif
Dave S.
Had a great time at Mike's claim. The weather was wonderful most of the trip! I found a few smokey tips, but not much else this trip. Here are a few pics of the tips I did find. (most are included with hematite, etc..)

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Crusty
James, is Cyndi on FB? Was going to tag her in the pics from this weekend.
Crusty
Pics from last weekend's invite. Thanks for the invite Mike; had a great time as always!! CP_Member.gif

First morning sunrise

Obligatory selfie

Beautiful weather on first day!

Colin & Glenda

Crusty
happy070.gif

Mrs Crusty whupped up some cowboy foil pack dinners, which turned out AMAZING!! She mashed up a layer of tater tots on the bottom, so when they heated up in the dutch oven, they got nice and crispy. They were a big hit!! drool.gif
Crusty
Weather most of the day Saturday was great; we just had a quick squall roll through and we hunkered down under one of the big rock shelters

James and Cyndi showed up with AJ. He's such a great kid and fun to have out at the claim!!
Crusty
On Saturday night we had some more cowboy dinner goodness and I whupped up an apple crisp in the dutch oven
Crusty
We all worked the same area on Saturday afternoon. Mike and I opened up a big hole, but didn't find much of anything.

The rest worked one of the existing holes and it produced some cool finds.
Crusty
Only Mike, Dave, and I went out Sunday. It is always a LONG walk in on the 3rd day lol

Once we crested the hill, we saw the entire valley was socked in with rain, so we hunkered down in a shelter, built a fire, and relaxed for a bit. Then Mike couldn't wait any longer and went out and dig in the rain lol

And I got a bonus find!
James and Cyndi
Thanks to MikeS for another fun outing. Got a couple smokies and Cyndi found her first terminated crystal.
Those are great pics Crusty. Thanks again for the grub too.
To answer your question; Cyndi and I both have Facebook accounts, but neither of us are very active with them.
Denise
I would have loved to have been there, it looks like you all had a great time!! Fantastic pictures Crusty!!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

EMac
Damn...looks like y'all had fun. I hope to join you on these group trips in the future for sure. Gorgeous view of the sun on the mountains, and I'd like to find my own terminated crystal one day.

Not sure I'll have a beard to compete with everyone though...
MikeS
First a big THANK YOU to all the Club Members who make this Club possible! Past, present and future! Thanks Crusty and Carol for the delicious dinners and dessert!

I had a great weekend digging on the claim with fellow Club Members! I found a few small quartz crystals terminations the first 2 days after moving lots of dirt and rock. On day 3 I found a few fluorite crystals, a damaged Goethite spray and a set of little smokies covered in Goethite with little sprays between them I was able to get a little bit of video from all 3 Days.

CP Club outing at my claim

After the video ends I did get into little pockets of quartz with fluorite and Goethite. I set the little Goethite sprays on my plastic scoop and 10 min. later I grabbed the scoop and started scooping dirt forgetting there was Geothite and Fluorite in there. OOppps! slaphead.gif I did not find them in the rubble. I was still happy to find the trend of pockets there at the old Goethite hole and left something to come back to.
CP
Wow! Another super dig gathering with good food and great people! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Thank you MikeS and the rest of you for sharing the adventure, pics and vids.....and most especially thanks for being you!! CP_Member.gif Who wouldn't want to be part of this awesome club and group of folks!! smiley-cool14.gif

MikeS
I had another awesome weekend digging with CP Club Members! Thanks for the awesome dinners Crusty! We tested this creek for 3 days. I did not see the size or amounts of gold that I am looking for but I did come away with a better understanding of the gold deposits in the area. We found a very old sedimentary layer with gold bearing gravels in it. Even though this layer proved to be less productive then other layers like it that I have seen, it was nice to see one exposed on dry land to have a good cross section of the layer and surrounding layers. I only got 3 pics of the trip and a little video. Give me a few days on the video part but here are my few pics of the weekend.

Day 1 Crusty works his dredge while I run my sluice. We made sure to properly reclaim our holes on Monday before leaving.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MikeS
Another great weekend with Club Members at the claim! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
At first it looked like no one was gonna make it so Dave and I decided to avoid hiking/digging in the heat by hiking up to the claim at midnight and working it to noontime. I started working a hole that has shown some signs of large goethite pockets. I hit a pocket with lots of quartz and a few medium sized goethite sprays.

Smokey quartz from 1st day.
Click to view attachment

Goethite from the 1st day.
Click to view attachment

Dave and I headed back to camp for the afternoon to be ready for another midnight hike. We met up with Colin and Glenda and Colin decided to come up with us at midnight. I continued to pull out medium sized goethite, smokies and a few nice fluorite crystals. I convinced Colin to dig next to me to find more pockets knowing there could be some big ones. He hit a large pocket with some of the biggest and finest goethite and fluorite crystals I have seen come from my claim. I snapped a few pics of the monster goethite with Dave's camera. I will post those pics tomorrow if I can. Here is what I pulled out for day 2.

Goethite day 2. There is a smokey also with goethite on the side of it.
Click to view attachment

Fluorite
Click to view attachment
MikeS
More pics from Dave's camera.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Smokey with goethite on the side.
Click to view attachment

Hematite rosette.
Click to view attachment

Goethite spray with spindle.
Click to view attachment

Fluorite.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MikeS
Sunday morning Colin hit a nice sized pocket with some monster goethite and very nice fluorite. I grabbed Dave's camera and took a few pics of the goethite fresh out of the pocket.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Crusty
DAMN! Colin hit the motherlode!

lots of good looking finds!
EMac
That's really nice; well done sirs!
CP
smiley-shocked003.gif SWEET!! Nice finds guys, bet you all were doing the happy dances! extra_happy.gif
NewRockHounder
happy112.gif I'll be bringing the big one's (yep.. as in more than one) music037.gif , to show's ya'll on the claim invite.

Colin
MikeS
Colin gave some of them a cleaning.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
MikeS
A few more pics of Colin's finds from my claim.

Goethite and Hematite
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Fluorite cluster with a smokey
Click to view attachment

Medium sized Goethite spray with Hematite
Click to view attachment

MikeS
I had a great time with club members on the claim last weekend. On Saturday Ryan and his wife found their first pockets with crystals.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I was able to pull out a few small goethite and other goodies.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Interesting feldspar crystals
Click to view attachment

Smokies with feldspar
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

On Sunday James and I moved dirt and rock all day and didn't find anything good. Crusty hit some cool smokies in a nearby hole. Dave found a few smokies in another nearby hole.

I am excited to go back this weekend and try for another big pocket there.
Crusty
Had a great time hanging with y'all! THanks for the invite my friend!
EMac
Looks like an awesome trip; thanks for putting these offers out there Mike!
Dave S.
Had a good time at Mike's claim last week. I only got to dig for 1 day, but I found a crack in the rock that had some smokies and feldspar chunks.

They are small crystals, but they might lead me to the Hematite "rosettes" (after Goethite) that I have been digging to find.

And I got 1 pic of the members on day 2.

Feldspars
Click to view attachment

Smoky Quartz
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Looking forward to any Members who come this weekend as well!
EMac
Since I only have Saturday available, I'm going to stay local and try my hand in Clear Creek again. As always, you guys are awesome for hosting these events! Much obliged!
Dave S.
Sorry it took me so long to make a follow up post. For the most part I found similar crystals as my last post.

The only post worthy pics I got were of some of the people that showed up.. (I forgot to get pics of their finds.)

Some after pics of a Copper/ Chrysocolla specimen that Ryan gave me.

and a few pics of a larger smokey "surface find" from the claim. Found as we were leaving.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Crusty
Great pics. I scrolled down quickly and first saw the copper pic and thought it was something found on the claim lol
MikeS
It was great to get back to the claim and bring club members along. I hope everyone found something to take home.

I snapped a picture of one of Ryan's first crystals he found. This quartz crystal is a great example of the crazy mess of micro-minerals that we find in the quartz here. Goethite (black), bastnesite (red), orange blobs and a wide assortment of mica types giving the quartz blue, green, red and pink sparkles.
Click to view attachment

I hit several tiny pockets that gave me mostly broken bits. I did manage to get a few quartz crystals intact and one small plate of quartz crystals on microcline.
Click to view attachment

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.