Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Id help. Pretty red stone. Thank you!!!
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
BoxOfRocks
I found this bad boy in the landscaping rock around my house. Don't laugh, I have found jasper and moss agate in there already. This guy gleamed when I shot it with weed killer. I would love some help with identification. It looks like a giant garnet to me....is that wishful thinking? let me know what your thoughts are? Thank you, thank you in advance. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
fenixsmom
I can't help you unfortunately. However if that really is garnet you are one lucky person!
Crusty
I'd say it is more Jasper. But that's just my guess. Here's a bunch of pics of red Jasper

Red Jasper
Yoda
It doesn't look like how one would expect a garnet to when still jammed in the rock, typically you would see more angular points and the ilk unless placer effects tumbled it... and by that point, it would be cracked and pitted to heck. But it does have the banding, luster and the grainy texture you expect from jasper, like Crusty called.

It still is a nice find. The color looks very uniform. Based on what looks like a deck railing it is sitting on, it looks like you might have a pretty decent sized piece locked up in there!

All that said, I am still learning the crystal side of life, so my input is pretty low on the totem pole.
swizz
It would be spectacular if it were Garnet, and not unheard of for Colorado. Are any portions of it translucent?
CP
It definitely has a nice color and the cleavage looks odd in the part that looks broken.
Any idea where the "land scape" rocks came from? That might help point you in the right direction on id for the piece.
BoxOfRocks
It was defiantly tumbled in river rock. I thought jasper but was thrown off by the uniform color. If you google Wyoming garnet looks similar. I don't know where the rocks came from. I'm not much help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.