Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Im new here :)
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
Snacksquatch
Hello all!

Just joined the forum last week and am really happy to be here!

I am currently a geology student at MSU Denver heading into my senior year, and have been working a summer internship at Cripple Creek gold mine since May. Needless to say Ive learned a TON but sadly there isnt a lot of good prospecting area around CC and Victor.

Im wondering if anybody would like to try the Lake George area or even Deckers/Devils Head after work while there is still enough light, or if you have anywhere else in mind that is close by, that would work too :)

Im currently looking into a site I have heard about near Hartsel for blue barite, sounds like the claim owner is very friendly and the access is easy, so once I get in touch with him, I can post details here.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or reply here if youd like to chat. Hope to see you in the dirt!

-Ben (Snacksquatch)
swizz
Welcome squatch!! sign0016.gif
NewRockHounder
Hello smileywaving.gif and sign0016.gif to the forums, Snacksquatch.

That's fantastical about being a geology student and Cripple Creek. I actually just asked my new neighbor if he might par chance, be a geologist. He is not. slaphead.gif I could really use the knowledge of yer mind. happy088.gif

I go to Devil's Head more often than not... in fact, I just got home from a 6-hour morning trip. happy112.gif Only found a fragment, but what a fragment.. I'll post a pic at the end of my typing. Climbed a mountain, looking for some new areas to prospect. Wasn't a whole lot, least the side of the mt I was on, at least not good evidence leading to an area I would devote my time to. Anywho, my truck (as most people know smiley-laughing021.gif ) is a POS, so I'm always in need of a ride. (side note, it was making a really "funny" sound on the drive up today, got me worried) Anywho again, hopefully you don't live south of me, I noticed 'Denver', butcha never know. If you could give me a ride, let me know via PM, please.

I'm always down for the hound. (currently jobless, again)

Colin
NewRockHounder
Click to view attachment
Crusty
Welcome! Love the name! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

We've got a few members that dig around DH, so maybe they'll link up with you.

I dug at the barite property a couple months ago... easy access, easy to find, and there are some pretty big pieces you can pull out. My biggest was about softball sized... which reminds me I need to finish cleaning them and take come pics lol

Snacksquatch
Hey all, thanks for the warm welcome :)

Im happy to answer any questions I can for you Colin, although everytime I feel like I get a handle on something, I end up having 1000 more questions!

I will be more available here in the next few weeks so I can probably come snag you, Im fairly centrally located in Denver and it looks like Friday-Sunday should be good days for me.

Looking forward to getting more info on the barite locality, hoping to make contact with the owner in the next day or two. That softball size piece sounds wicked Crusty! How was the crystal development on it? Was it more massive or did you get nice blades out of it? Ive heard of people pulling out "spearpoints" so hopefully I can stumble onto one of those :)

Stay tuned!
Dave S.
Hello Snack! Welcome to the forums! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Me and my bro Mike S. have done some prospecting and mining in the area North of Lake George. You can see some of our finds among the forums. Forum topics like "Colorado Rare-earth minerals", "Colorado Amazonite", "Colorado Fluorites" , "Colorado Goethites", and others.

We can probably answer some of your questions, so ask away. chin.gif

Snacksquatch
Howdy Dave, thanks for reaching out!! I will be camping up around Lake George this coming weekend (31-2), not sure if youll be around but would love to tag along if youre digging.

Mainly, I suppose my questions would mainly pertain to what you recommend looking for as far as visible indicators on the ground? OUtcrops and red streaks are usually good signs but not sure if there is anything more telling? Im typically just using a spade and my rock hammer to dig, and sometimes a pick axe. Ive had some luck around uprooted trees in the loose soil near those, but so far my finds have been well, just lucky I suppose :)

Any tips on better indication than just pciking a spot that feels good and getting to work? A lot of the area around Lake George is claimed up, so I am always on the lookout, but have found some nice amazonite chips and a couple of great quartz pieces in and along the road bed. One piece I found was a 4 inch long double terminated chunk, literally sitting buried in the road, which has been my best find so far. Ill post some pics asap!

Thanks again, look forward to speaking with you soon!
fenixsmom
"Strip mining prevents wildfires..." Roflmao!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.