Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Today's finds
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
jhidek
Took the kids out fishing this morning, then stopped on the way back out to let them collect for a bit
jhidek
Another
mikeybrew
Some pretty color there for sure!
jhidek
Had a little fun with a few pieces and showed the kids how flourite is thermoluminescent, dropped them in the oven at 350 so the kids could see them glow. Guess ill need to buy a short wave uv light now too
Denise
Very cool finds, love the purple! Is that second from last pic of Amethyst? I bet the kids really though that was neat to see the Fluorites glowing. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Great finds, thanks for sharing the pics with us.
smiley-clapping.gif
jhidek
Im 99% sure the purple is also flourite based on how it glowed, I've got a good mix of pieces from a basic looking purple rock, all the way to crazy crystalline structure to mixes of colors. As far as I know though, amethyst is NOT thermoluminescent, but I could very easily be wrong.
Denise
Very cool! Looking at it closer, it does look it could be a mass piece of Fluorite with great color! A lot like the stuff found in Cripple Creek but yours has a lot better color! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
jhidek
We decided we might just pull the trigger on our own claim, so once that's done we can set aside weekends where cp members can come out and dig too
Denise
That's great news! It's very satisfying having your own claim and quite an accomplishment. happy088.gif Very cool of you to invite the CP members, thank you! If you have any troubles with the research while working on filing, we are always willing to help club members with this process. It's top priority for us to make sure they are successful in the field. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Good luck in your prospecting adventures!!
jhidek
I appreciate the luck wishes! Sadly, im not a CP member myself yet (its been a rough year financially) so im kinda on my own with this whole process. Ive done the research and know the area is open, i just have to figure out the staking and posting requirements to make sure I do it right. I still have to figure out walking and mapping the lines too.
MikeS
Cool Fluorite finds jhidek! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Good luck with the claim and a membership!
A handheld GPS unit has been very handy for me when staking my claim and useful for marking other claims in the field.
Staking and filing methods and rules can depend on the State you are claiming in. Most other mining laws are applicable across the U.S. on Federal Public Lands.
jhidek
The kids have decided they love fluorite, but want to go see some other spots, what can anyone tell me about the st Peters dome area, by the old shooting range spot? Is there anything to collect there and is it legal, and worth it a bumpy ride?
Denise
I'm not familiar with the area sorry. I do know that you could take the steps you used to find that the Fluorite area was open and apply it to any area you and kids may have interest in. happy112.gif This is a big part that we help club members with also, many in personal e-mails behind the scenes as well.

Good luck with your prospecting adventures jhidek! So many options out there in this great state, just poking around and deciding what to look for is a great adventure in itself. Have fun and stay safe out there. emoticon-misc-004.gif

~Denise
MikeS
QUOTE (jhidek @ Jun 19 2015, 02:52 PM) *
The kids have decided they love fluorite, but want to go see some other spots, what can anyone tell me about the st Peters dome area, by the old shooting range spot? Is there anything to collect there and is it legal, and worth it a bumpy ride?

I have not done any prospecting by St. Peters Dome but so far Fluorite is the only mineral I have turned into significant cash. I have some pics and video of my Fluorite finds in the Colorado Fluorite topic. If you become a member jhidek then keep your eye on the protected forums for invites to my claim. smiley-cool14.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.