Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about Clear Creek
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Matt
I wanted to make sure that I understood the rules for prospecting at Clear Creek so I need some clarification on what this sentence means..."Prospecting activities are permitted within the high water mark of the stream only." I am new to prospecting so forgive me for asking, I want to make sure I am not breaking any rules.

Also I was reading through the Jeffco web site this morning and found that motors are allow on Clear Creek, but there are a few items you need to follow....

Ethics and Rules for Recreational Gold Prospecting in Clear Creak Canyon Park

Ethics

It is your responsibility to know whose land you are on and to seek the proper permission.
Be courteous to other park visitors.
Respect the natural resources and follow all laws, ordinances, rules and regulations that govern recreational prospecting. Leave it better than you found it.
JCOS supports Leave No Trace principles.

Rules and Regulations for Gold Prospecting

All federal and state laws and county ordinances apply to Jefferson County Open Space.
Obey all Jefferson County Open Space Rules and Regulations.
All prospecting holes must be filled in before leaving site.
Motors/equipment must be fueled/oiled at least 10 feet from water.
Fueled equipment must be placed in a catch pan so fuel/oil is not released into the water.
Prospecting activities are permitted within the high water mark of the stream only.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.
fenixsmom
There is a claim on clear creek past the tunnels I dont know exactly where it is. The gentleman that owns Golden deterctors off Washington street owns it. The high water mark is immediately adjacent to the water. Don't dig in to the hillside or in any small areas towards the road. They are building fish habits in certain areas. DO NOT go within 100 feet of the structure! Motorized equipment is allowed but you must refill gas 10 (?) Feet away from the water. Batteries must be contained in a box. Allowable areas are at Arapaho bar, between the two green pylons and from Tunnel 1 to Mile marker 260.5 ( sans the Active claim) welcome to the forum!
Matt
Sweet thank you..
fenixsmom
You got it!
Dypheron
The rules for Prospecting in Clear Creek can be found Here. As previously mentioned there is a ab active claim starting at Tunnel #3 and running upstream for one mile. The fish structures are large strings of boulders and rip rap running across the creek bed and are easy to miss if you don't know what you're looking for. You are allowed to be near the structures, but do not dig or disturb the water in any way within 100 feet.

We should make a sticky thread for Clear Creek, it's a popular area that comes up a lot in discussions. I think I'm going to get some photos of the fish structures when we have the spring outing to show everyone exactly what they are.
fenixsmom
Dypheron knows probably 500x what I know. Take his word over mine any day! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
CP
Welcome to the forum Matt. sign0016.gif

Good input everyone. Thanks for posting up the current link/page for the Jeffco Open space to Dypheron. signs021.gif

We do have a sticky/pinned thread that covers the Clear Creek open space area in Jefferson county ....... that would be the "Free Panning and Sluicing areas" thread in this same forum section. That would be a great place to post that update and folks should be able to find it when searching/reading about the free panning or sluicing allowed along Clear creek in the forums. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.