Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gold panning
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
Pages: 1, 2
joshualoun
Hey everyone,
My name is Josh and I am new to Denver. I just moved here from Vermont about 3 months ago. I been a panner for 3 years. I been in Denver 3 months. I play upright bass in a band, www.whiskeytreats.com . I been panning in Clear Creek at Youngfield street. I trained myself in Vermont on how to read a river and locate drops. This information has been more than useful out here in Denver. I been getting some really good gold out of clear creek. Which leads me to this. When it warms up, if anyone is interested in going panning and sluicing at one of the mining claims this clubs offers to pan on, I am game. I am looking for some people or another person (must not be crazy, mean or annoying or crazyannoying) to get together with and camp out as soon as the weather breaks at one of these locations. I am a very serious worker in the field and do not like to waste time. I do not have a 4x4 which some of the locations require. I would be willing to pay gas for someone who has 4x4 to drive. I am a funny awesome smart guy who would be an asset to a prospecting team or an individual or group in search of gold. I do not share gold though because every mans/woman's labor is their own. I play bluegrass music, so at night if anyone picks bluegrass, that is a bonus. if you want to contact me. joshualoun@gmail.com hope to get some response, peace
fenixsmom
Welcome to the forum! Just to clarify, the claim offers aren't owned by CP. Our members extend an offer to join in on their personal claims. This is historically only extended out to annual or lifetime members. I don't mean to discourage you away from the club. I just don't want you to be misinformed.
joshualoun
I meant one of the mining claims this club offers
joshualoun
oh, ok, thanks, that is a little confusing for newbies. So are we drawn out of a hat and invited? Not sure how it works. I am still confused though because the wording on those claims on the site, makes it seem like you can go there, it even says call before you go so, I am really confused now/
fenixsmom
When you decide to take a leap into membership the claim owners will post an open invitation in the members only thread. If you decide to give membership a whirl its 70 a year. Works out to around $6.80 a month. In my opinion its totally worth it!
joshualoun
and that is why most people join the club is to get access to spots like that on the website, so, where on the website does it say what you just wrote? It should shouldn't it? I am not discouraged but if they are not open to club members, what is it you get for joining the club? I am confused
fenixsmom
Hmmm I have no idea what you are talking about, but I will definitely look for it. Maybe Dan or Denise will pop in and clarify while I'm looking. Back in two shakes of a Lamb's tail!
fenixsmom
Did you pay for membership already? It's hard to tell in the open forum.
joshualoun
I am already a member so and have paid, I am lost where you are
fenixsmom
OOOOH! that changes everything!!! Just keep an eyr out for invitations in the members section. As far as the researched areas they don't belong to the site. Dan and Denise did all the leg work in researching to make sure the areas aren't claimed.
joshualoun
Yeah I guess I assumed people reading would know I was a member when I said the claims the club offers which you can only access as a member. So sorry to confuse you
joshualoun
So you have to be invited to them, you can't go on your own?
fenixsmom
It's okay! I'm glad we're back on track. Ill send the link to the researched areas if you would like.
fenixsmom
Club members claims yes. Researched areas no.
Denise
sign0016.gif Hi Josh and welcome to the forms and club. The "researched areas" offer by the club are the ones you are probably talking about Josh. Re verification info is provided with them for each area. They are in fact not claims but open to prospecting at the time research was completed.
joshualoun
The way the wording is on the claim sites, makes it seem like you can access that land when it is warm enough and after you have called to make sure the mining claim is open. It does not say anything about invitations. Because no offense but if we have to go on class trips to these places, it takes the appeal out of it.
joshualoun
oh ok, thanks, so the researched ones on the sight are open for prospecting. But they are not claims and you have to call to see if a claim was opened on them?
fenixsmom
Exactly.
Denise
Correct! happy088.gif Some of the club members do offer up invites to their personal claims, that is from the claim owner and not Colorado Prospector. Great people!! CP_Member.gif
fenixsmom
Class trips= member's claims & club outings. Whenever you want to go yourself = researched areas
joshualoun
Thank you guys for clarifying. So for instance, it just got warm, I go onto the sight and look at one of the places that has been researched. I then call to make sure it is ok to go. I can prospect the allotted area on the sight and take gold from the river or stream. But then if I pay attention to the forum, people do offer trips to their personal claims (which is really cool). Excuse my school trip comment. I am uber independent.
joshualoun
OK, so I meant to say in the beginning, the researched areas. I am super excited to get up in the mountains and dig the day away. Hit me up if someone wants to plan a trip or is already gonna go, I got the fever.
fenixsmom
Yes sir! You're on track!
Crusty
Looks like the ladies have you on the right track.

The terms "researched areas" and "claims" are not interchangeable.

The researched areas are just locations that at one point in time were researched and determined to be free of claims and open to prospecting. Still important to check with the county there to ensure there are still no claims.

Claims are held by individuals who may grant access to their claims; terms are completely up to the claim owner.

Look forward to meeting you out & about one day!

joshualoun
Thanks crusty, I am gonna be panning in Clear Creek all day tomorrow, looking at those mountains, salivating at the treasure and adventure that is still left up there. On Clear Creek, I met a bunch of folk from gpaa, and GPR I think it it is, they want me to join them, but I heard if you miss meetings, they shun you. So I am just gonna stick with this and have been recommending it to panners I meet. .I was wondering, is paying attention to the forums the best way to utilize this club? Have you guys been up to any of the sites? I just got here from VT, and well it is much different. Do you know anyone that makes a living from panning? I have over a half oz. from a handful of times out, is that good for here?
joshualoun
Is there a way to be notified when important events come up, or do you just have to look out for the opportunities?
Crusty
There is a calendar that lists some events, if you click on the CP banner at the top of the page, it'll take you to the club website and you'll see the calendar link.

I'll be stuck in my basement office tomorrow, envying you :)

We are also on Facebook; the link is in my signature below (I think you may already be in the group?).

joshualoun
I am unemployed right now so I am trying to hit a streak. I been getting real lucky, and there is 20 more ft below me in the river till I hit bedrock so there is still some nice gold to be had if I have not been claim jumped. Not that it is a claim to say but a spot that is producing very well for being in the flats. I been cleaning it up on a water table I bought. Not the best, I miss my bluebowl. If anyone has any ideas or ways for cleaning gold right before selling let me know. I am spending a good 8 hours out panning tomorrow, rain or shine. I will be at the gold pan limits sign in green waders and blue gloves about waist deep. I am hoping it rains so the water goes up for a good sluicing, but it being lower I can dig deeper. Anyway yadda yadda jabba jabba, This Jedi needs some gold
joshualoun
In Vermont Bedrock is everywhere to be seen. I was working on a mountain that had one of the first gold mines of the Vermont Gold Rush. The gold there is 24k, and my biggest size picker is half a gram, not bad. We had a huge flood and the brooks were turned up pretty good. I found gold on a river that was never prospected. I have pictures to share if that is of interest to people on the sight. VT is very similiar to the Rockies, just a touch smaller. The Adirondacks are the oldest mountains in the world, and like here was once an ocean.
joshualoun
VT gold
joshualoun
those are all my pickers I have a bunch of fine stuff too.
Crusty
QUOTE (joshualoun @ Jan 29 2015, 03:26 PM) *
those are all my pickers I have a bunch of fine stuff too.

Nice collection! A lot less pickers in this neck of the woods.

joshualoun
ya gotta hit those drops, not that your not. I have aboot, ten or so pickers here so far from CO. Studying river dynamics and knowing how to sample can lead you to streaks and pickers. I think I found my first CO honey spot. That is why I am excited to get up to those mountains, I know once I am on a major producing river, my knowledge can get to those spots and recover some real amount of gold. I have never used machines other than a sluice which is more of a tool. I am not sure if I feel that good about eating away land when with the right knowledge and experience, a river, aman, a pan and a sluice can recover proper amounts of gold. And I feel awesome after I shovel and move by hand a couple tons of dirt, it is my yoga and gym in one.
joshualoun
Where the water drops and pools, so does the gold, you can hit the rapids and curling water sections, but as a philosophy, where water drops out so does gold. Now, if you have that scenario, and also a bend in the river or brook, big rocks, and indications a slowing of the river during flood stage occurred, sample. If you get a surprise amount of flour, dig there, but. Continue to sample and only then, bring out the sluice, cause you may be wasting time. You can dig all day but you must sample to make sure you are still in it. I do it every 3rd shovel load.
joshualoun
I have to fix one of my statements. The Adirondack Mountain range is not the oldest it is the Appalachian Mountain range. I was separating gold from black sand and had to run and fix that. phew
fenixsmom
Did you by chance just buy a highbanker?
MikeS
QUOTE (joshualoun @ Jan 29 2015, 02:47 PM) *
Have you guys been up to any of the sites? I have over a half oz. from a handful of times out, is that good for here?

Hi Joshualoun.
I have not been to any of the researched areas yet. I joined the CP Club last September and was focused on prospecting/mining crystals and gemstones at the time. I plan to try some of them out this year when the weather is suitable. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Half oz. for a few trips to Clear Creek in the Denver Metro area is really good. I learned to pan in Clear Creek.

If I invite Club Members to my claim, I will post in the protected forum well ahead of time. I am not mining gold there though....other valuable minerals.
emoticon-misc-004.gif
joshualoun
lol, I did not buy a high banker I shovel by hand. But I work very hard and fast. In Vermont, the days get really short in the fall so you have to boogie. I never stop digging. I try to keep conversation only on breaks. People come and talk and I talk and shovel and talk to them, it is not rude cause if you were at the work place you are not supposed to stop and talk, DIG!. I also sluice differently then I seen out here. people like sift through all the material then run in in the sluice which confuses me because that defeats the invention. Screen it, but let the water work and keep digging. I have a 1/4 inch screen in my flare at the beginning of my sluice. I fill 2 of my 17 inch proline pans and I put it right to it. every 3rd pan is a sample pan and after every pan in the sluice I clean it out so the gold has a place to stop. I do not clean out my sluice. If you run it right the gold stays in there. Maybe I am moving more material or retaining more gold. As to panning other things than gold, well I have never done such a thing, but I have hematite that is huge from VT and crystals and such. I am a sun worshiper or more like a sun recognizer. I recognize the Sun gives us life. And to me gold emulates the sun, so therefore, it is special to me so I collect it. But if other special things come down, I would do it.
fenixsmom
Lol I live in Lakewood. A-bar is home turf to me! I met someone last year that just bought their highbanker. I was just wondering if that was you. My buddy Eric and I (Emac) go up the canyon and work. We'll also have a members group dig there this spring (Aprilish?) When Emac and I go up we'll let you know!
fenixsmom
Interesting idea putting your screen over your flair! ph34r.gif
prospector
QUOTE (joshualoun @ Jan 29 2015, 03:08 PM) *
I am unemployed right now so I am trying to hit a streak. I been getting real lucky, and there is 20 more ft below me in the river till I hit bedrock so there is still some nice gold to be had if I have not been claim jumped. Not that it is a claim to say but a spot that is producing very well for being in the flats. I been cleaning it up on a water table I bought. Not the best, I miss my bluebowl. If anyone has any ideas or ways for cleaning gold right before selling let me know. I am spending a good 8 hours out panning tomorrow, rain or shine. I will be at the gold pan limits sign in green waders and blue gloves about waist deep. I am hoping it rains so the water goes up for a good sluicing, but it being lower I can dig deeper. Anyway yadda yadda jabba jabba, This Jedi needs some gold

I have all the eqpt to clean your cons please look at my downloade pics lets talk
fenixsmom
Where are your downloads prospector? Can you link the thread?
joshualoun
Yeah, A-bar is very good. I would go up to the canyons and pan and such. let me know. I am syked to be going tomorrow
prospector
http://www.coloradoprospector.com/forums/i...ost&id=7567

QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Jan 29 2015, 10:03 PM) *
Where are your downloads prospector? Can you link the thread?

Link at top ? Idk how to link it i will try and figure it out but i have a blue bowl and a spiral pan they work very well together
prospector
http://www.coloradoprospector.com/forums/i...ost&id=7568

QUOTE (prospector @ Jan 29 2015, 10:09 PM) *
http://www.coloradoprospector.com/forums/i...ost&id=7567

Link at top ? Idk how to link it i will try and figure it out but i have a blue bowl and a spiral pan they work very well together

fenixsmom
Nice! How much are you asking?
prospector
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Jan 29 2015, 10:22 PM) *
Nice! How much are you asking?

its not for sale because i use it all the time

swizz
Hi Josh, and an extended welcome to the CP Club and forums! sign0016.gif
Make yourself at home, great information and people here! We LOVE pics so keep em coming. char098.gif
May your riffles be clogged with Gold. cheers.gif
Denise
Love the pictures!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (joshualoun @ Jan 29 2015, 02:57 PM) *
Is there a way to be notified when important events come up, or do you just have to look out for the opportunities?

When the club holds events, they would be discussed in the club members protected section of the forum and posted about in the monthly newsletter.
Sometimes club members also post in there as well when wanting to meet up with other club members out in the field. Open outings are sometimes posted in the "outings and adventure" section as well, but these are not help by Colorado Prospector just invites to other forum members.

I hope your having fun out there today! We're looking forward to your updates.
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
joshualoun
Hey everyone
,The water yesterday was low which meant good digging but I had to fill my pans with material then walk 20 ft. to my sluice. I try and make it so I dig into my sluice but that was impossible. I did good but I am not done separating the material so I can't say how good I did. I was asked by a guy who was panning with his friend to help work his dredge up by tunnel 3. I decided against it when I asked him if the gold was shared. He hesitated and said, uh yeah, we can share the gold. red flag went up. Anyway. I got tired from the extra carrying and left the brook around 230pm. I am hoping I did well. 2222222 My next trip is Monday. If I do not do well, Tuesday I will be busking at 16th street mall. peace

PS I will be posting my CO gold later today. I have some more separation to do before I take a picture. I want to try and get as much as I can.

OH yeah, The bluebowl works very well for clean up, I wish I bought that instead of my table. The bluebowl can also move much material if need be.

And I hate the idea of trading in Gold for paper, our system is broken, thanks corporate Amerika
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.