Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any ideas?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
bigfoot6696
I found this rock while landscaping my yard while moving some piles of rock no idea what it is ....
swizz
Hi bigfoot and welcome! sign0016.gif
At first glance it looks like slag, do you live near railroad tracks?
Really hard to narrow it down without more specifics.
Is it relatively heavy or light for its size?
Is it magnetic?
bigfoot6696
weighs about 40 pounds its heavy and nope don't live near tracks found it my yard in a pile of rock it is NOT magnetic in any area they slide right off of it and my cheap metal detector says its a high grade metal gold or silver the out side is melted and the inside is almost crystalline you can see how the outer layer is melted and the closer you get to the center it gets more crystal like it is metallaic on the outside but if you get it wet its really weird looking the surface looks like a rainbow from what looks like heated metals one part looks almost like its gold not sure have never seen anything like it and I can tell ya its not lead too hard
swizz
My first guess might be some form of Hematite... possibly some Rainbow Hematite inclusions based on your description.
Denise
smileywaving.gif Welcome to the forums bigfoot6696!
From what you have described it sounds like it could be Hematite to me also. If it is, it would leave a red for the streak test. It would also be a 5-6 on the hardness test.

Beautiful specimen, thanks for sharing pics with us! I hope this info helps some.

Denise
bigfoot6696
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Jan 17 2015, 03:12 PM) *
smileywaving.gif Welcome to the forums bigfoot6696!
From what you have described it sounds like it could be Hematite to me also. If it is, it would leave a red for the streak test. It would also be a 5-6 on the hardness test.

Beautiful specimen, thanks for sharing pics with us! I hope this info helps some.

Denise

since metal detector says its in the precious metals category I want to melt part of it to see what metal is in it :P
bigfoot6696
just looked at hundreds of images of hematite nothing resembles it and after heating a piece with a map gas torch its not even slightly magnetic
swizz
(not all Hematite is magnetic)
I'm not sure that torching it will get you any closer to an answer.... it does sound fun though. laugh.gif
A streak test and/or hardness test as suggested will be far more revealing and get you much closer to an answer. I would also recommend a simple specific gravity test.
Fill in those blanks and we can probably nail it. happy088.gif
fenixsmom
I read on minerals.com that heating magnatite will increase it's magnetic field.
swizz
ah, interesting chin.gif the plot thickens
fenixsmom
Dum duhhh duhhhhh. smiley-shocked003.gif
NewRockHounder
Hijacked post - Good title - I found this rock in my backyard a few months ago, just came across it again.. is it just quartz? Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
swizz
I looks like Quartz fused to Feldspar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.