Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to the Area
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Clodhopper
We were in the Buena Vista area last June and found it to be very interesting. I even panned a tiny bit of gold on a claim to which I was given access by the owner. We are planning to go back this coming summer, for more gold panning, but I am concerned about all the claims and don't want any problems with that. I have access to the GPAA claims on the Ark river north of town, and one owned by an RV park. As near as I can tell from my amateur investigations some areas seem to be claimed up nearly solid. All of my previous prospecting was done in Arizona where claims exist but are much easier to avoid.

So....questions.....

Does CP have claims near (20 miles or so) to BV? If so I will join once I'm sure we will be able to make it out there.

Is Salida the county seat of Chaffee county? I assume that is where claim info can be found.

Any other advice?

Thank you for helping.

PS: I have nothing against looking for gems either.
fenixsmom
Just an fyi: CP itself owns no claims. The members have claims that they grant access to once your a member. Mainly to lifers, but annuals are invited from time to time. Our club's allure doesn't come from claims. It's because of the knowledge we offer to have your own claim. Look into the research help threads to find out how to research BV properly.
Clodhopper
Understood, thx.

fenixsmom
I'm happy to help! As a member there are areas that have been researched by D&D to make sure it is open to prospecting. Not exactly a claim, but areas that are almost guaranteed to be open.
CP
Hi Clodhopper, thank you for considering the Colorado Prospector club as one of your choice to join, we'd all be honored to have your future participation.
Fenixsmom posted a great answer (thanks).
This club is much different in that respect from any others you've seen, we do not hold mining claims for club members use, that is not a mining purpose to hold a mining claim for. The one and only reason a mining claim can be staked/held is for mining. Staking and holding claims for "club members uses" does not categorize as a "mining purpose" under the true intent.
We are much more into helping you the individual prospectors become successful with your own knowledge for better field work successes.
You can read more about the membership levels, benefits etc by clicking on the center banner at the top of this page if you hadn't already seen it. That will take you straight to the club membership page.

As far as the BV area with all the claims or private land holdings yes that is true. Also of note to any new prospectors around BV....The entire area that is specially designated as "the Arkansas headwater recreational area" has been withdrawn from mineral entry....IE you can not file claims there any longer.

Yes the club does have some of it's "researched areas" within 20 miles of BV.

Yepper Salida is the county seat where you'll find the needed records.

Glad you like to hunt for gems as well, Colorado has some great things to look for all over the state pretty much. Have a fun out there and good luck on the digs!
Let us know anytime if you have more questions about the club.
Crusty
Cna't add anything to the smart folks' replies above, other than a future welcome back! Hope you find some useful info here which leads you to finding somewhere you can enjoy a little bit of Colorado awesomeness!!
Clodhopper
Thanks to all !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.