Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cowboy Holster
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Miners Crafts, Goods & Classified ads > Prospector's Crafts & Creations
Dypheron
So last week I picked up one of these:

Click to view attachment

Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. Obviously such a thing does not deserve to live in some off the shelf kydex or nylon holster, it deserves leather! So I spent an evening working on a template and came up with this:

Click to view attachment

I'm fairly happy with how the prototype came out, it fits well and rides nicely on a belt. I do have to make a few changes, the cylinder guard is offset and the trigger cut out is too shallow. I might cut down the area over the rear sight down as well, 7 1/2 inches of barrel is pretty slow to draw with a full holster. Damn stitch groover slipped twice on me and gouged the leather, luckily for me the cuts were small enough I could cover them up with the studs.

Click to view attachment

I'll probably make one or two more prototypes to refine the design, then get some nice Hermann Oak for the final product.
swizz
Love the gun and like where you're going with that holster! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
What thickness of leather are you gonna use for the final? Might consider an optional leg strap slot near the tip of the barrel for that monster.
edit: I just noticed the small strap around your leg in the pics. happy088.gif
Caveman
Very cool! with that barrel, carrying it a little lower would improve the draw. The quick draw guys carry them REALLY low.... just above where your hand naturally falls, and angled to reduce barrel drag - but that's for competition.... daily carry requires a different set up.
swizz
I prefer leg carry over hip carry for that reason, quickest natural access to the weapon. Might be awkward for open carry with a piece that big though, I don't know. From the hip it takes up half the leg.
Caveman
We have guys around town who open carry like that, and no one gives a second look. It's not awkward once you get used to it. Not cowboy pieces, either. They carry .40's.
fenixsmom
Nice job on the holster!
Crusty
very cool! If you happened to make one an inch shorter and need something to do with it, I can help you out! ;)
Dypheron
Thanks guys!

Chris, I will probably use 8/9oz. , the leather I got from the local Tandy for prototyping is 8/9 and I think it works nicely. What sucks is I can't just buy one of the Hermann pieces because they only go up to 24 inches long, that one piece holster design is longer due to the long barrel. What I might do is switch to a two piece design, I still have plenty of material left to do maybe 2-3 holsters so we'll see what happens.

I also thought the same thing about the leg strap when I did my test fit prior to dye and stitch, as it happens it also works great to make sure the holster doesn't start sliding up through the center strap. It's looped through the back panel and bottom, then two square knots to keep it from slipping.

As far as wearing it lower goes I did a bit of experimenting with my belt as well. I can wear it about 3 inches lower before it gets awkward and starts to move too much. I bet I could wear it quite comfortably as a crossdraw at the expense of not being able to use my right front pocket. Meh, pockets are overrated.
Dypheron
QUOTE (Crusty @ Jan 8 2015, 11:25 AM) *
very cool! If you happened to make one an inch shorter and need something to do with it, I can help you out! ;)

Well at least I know what to give you for a retirement gift now!
Crusty
I picked up this for my S&W 6.5" until I come up with something better. Wore it around the house a bit and it seems like it'll work, but as mentioned above, being this high does make it a bit tough to quickly draw.
Denise
Sweet Ruger and nice work on the holster Brandon! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I really like the pelt and the antique looking knife also. greensmilies-012.gif
Dypheron
So I finished the second prototype this morning:

Click to view attachment

Did a two piece design with this one, still working out some design details but overall I'm pleased with the way it came out. Did a bit of wet forming as well to stop the ejector from digging into the leather on the inside. It's a faster draw now with the forming and cutout on the front over the top of the frame, final version of this one will need a retention strap as it's now a looser fit than the first one.

Denise, that knife is a BudK special that I got a while back for a ren faire prop, I'll be doing a sheath for it in the near future.

Crusty, as it happens I've got a 6 1/2 inch holster that I just got finished dying, it's for a Taurus Tracker however I think it will probably be pretty close to what you would need for yours. If you want I can bring it over and see how it fits. Buddy wanted a holster for his and I decided to go ahead and prototype for another revolver.
Crusty
QUOTE (Dypheron @ Jan 11 2015, 06:02 PM) *
So I finished the second prototype this morning:

Click to view attachment

Did a two piece design with this one, still working out some design details but overall I'm pleased with the way it came out. Did a bit of wet forming as well to stop the ejector from digging into the leather on the inside. It's a faster draw now with the forming and cutout on the front over the top of the frame, final version of this one will need a retention strap as it's now a looser fit than the first one.

Denise, that knife is a BudK special that I got a while back for a ren faire prop, I'll be doing a sheath for it in the near future.

Crusty, as it happens I've got a 6 1/2 inch holster that I just got finished dying, it's for a Taurus Tracker however I think it will probably be pretty close to what you would need for yours. If you want I can bring it over and see how it fits. Buddy wanted a holster for his and I decided to go ahead and prototype for another revolver.

Very cool work!! I'd gladly buy one off ya. We still need to hook up for lunch at that joint you were telling me about. We can hook up there sometime and check it out!
swizz
Looking really good Brandon! Leather nerd question.... are you using Tan Kote for the hairy side of your leather?
Dypheron
QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 12 2015, 06:27 AM) *
Looking really good Brandon! Leather nerd question.... are you using Tan Kote for the hairy side of your leather?

On these, not yet. I might go ahead and seal them but they're not really intended for actual wear. I didn't even really plan on dying them but I figured it was good practice to get even color across the piece. Still in the learning phase, will be a long time before I produce anything of your quality, haven't even begun to learn to tool properly. Even still, I'm quite pleased with how the three I've done so far have turned out.
Dypheron
Holster #3, this one took about 5 hours from start to finish, not including the time for the dye to dry. This one will probably be sealed and polished as I'm pretty sure he wants this one and not one made from better quality leather. Very happy with how this one turned out, the cylinder guard and trigger cutout sat exactly where I wanted them without modification to the template. Also added a makers mark of sorts to the bottom for some extra style.

Click to view attachment
CP
Nice work Brandon, I'd say for your first three pieces those all turned out really nicely. You'll only get better from there then. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
swizz
Nice progress Brandon!
Don't be shy with that stitch groover, I like to go deep. Can also buff the inside of those decorative grooves when you get a final holster. From what I can see in that pic your burnishing looks pretty good. I highly recommend this resource if you haven't used it yet... these guys are super helpful and great archives: KN Sheath & Holster Forum
Dypheron
QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 13 2015, 07:01 AM) *
Nice progress Brandon!
Don't be shy with that stitch groover, I like to go deep. Can also buff the inside of those decorative grooves when you get a final holster. From what I can see in that pic your burnishing looks pretty good. I highly recommend this resource if you haven't used it yet... these guys are super helpful and great archives: KN Sheath & Holster Forum

On that particular holster I made the mistake of both beveling both sides of each edge, and also beveling before I ran the groover. Made the edge too soft to keep the groover from wandering so I had to go real slow with it. Lesson learned, groove first, then bevel only one edge of a seam. Did burnish nicely though, I use a piece of deer antler and it works great. I need to get out this spring and look for drops, have you seen any Elk antlers up at the claims?
swizz
I haven't found any sheds up there but haven't looked either. one antler should last you a lifetime for burnishing though. I use the cheap plastic burnishing tools, good shapes. Usually by the time I can access the claims it's too late for shed hunting. I also need antlers for the Wolfdog to chew, they said no rawhide. Buggers are more than $18 per lb. Luckily I have a friend up here who is a pro shed hunter and supplies them to places like Petsmart. Said he would sell them to me for $12 per lb. Once the pup gets the scent and taste of antlers as a regular chew... she will make a fine shed hunter and I'll probably try to get them on my own each year. Shed hunting's a big deal up here. The guys really guard their secret spots that pay off every year.
Crusty
While you two are talking leather nerd business, not that looks are the most important factor, but would it be possible to come close to the same color of leather for a holster from Brandon and one of your sheaths Chris? Understand the indivdual designs and details will be different, but seems like it would be good if I'm going to be wearing both, it'd bo good if they were at least the same general color lol

If not, no worries... just don't want to get laughed off the mountain smiley-laughing021.gif for not being fancy enough!
Dypheron
I would think if we both used the same dye and same leather they'd be almost impossible to tell the difference. Chris, I assume you are using Fiebings?
swizz
QUOTE (Dypheron @ Jan 13 2015, 03:11 PM) *
I would think if we both used the same dye and same leather they'd be almost impossible to tell the difference. Chris, I assume you are using Fiebings?

Yes, Fiebings Oil Dye. Hopefully you're using the oil based dye... what color? Looks like Walnut or Mahogany?
Also.... using several good rubs of Carnauba Creme for protection and finish which tends to darken it a shade and give just the right amount of luster (not too shiny). I have Leather Sheen but I don't like that finish.
Dypheron
QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 13 2015, 03:51 PM) *
Yes, Fiebings Oil Dye. Hopefully you're using the oil based dye... what color? Looks like Walnut or Mahogany?
Also.... using several good rubs of Carnauba Creme for protection and finish which tends to darken it a shade and give just the right amount of luster (not too shiny). I have Leather Sheen but I don't like that finish.

No, I'm using the regular Fiebings, but I can go get some of the oil based. The first two holsters were done in Dark Brown, the third was Medium.
swizz
Definitely go with oil based (especially for outdoor stuff) and let me know what color you settle on. I'm applying with daubers as per Ian's vids. I have enough Show Brown to do another sheath or I can order any color. Show Brown is the color used for the recent wet-form knife sheath I posted in the other thread, have a look at page 24, post 356 is Show Brown, post 359 is Spanish Brown. Any thoughts Mike or Brandon?
I have tons of time on this. You'll be done before I even get his knife built and can match.
fenixsmom
Uhhh WOW!!!!!!! Fantastic work Brandon!
Dypheron
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Jan 14 2015, 09:07 AM) *
Uhhh WOW!!!!!!! Fantastic work Brandon!

Thanks Jessie!

As far as the color goes I'll leave that up to Mike. I'm going to start working on the holster design this weekend and should have it done Sunday. I should be able to do the wet forming based on the Taurus I have on hand as they're close enough in size and shape.

On a non holster related note:

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I bought a drill press today and some sanding drums, works wonders for cleaning up uneven edges. should prove useful as well as a hole punch for nice clean holes that are vertical. Have to get another stitch awl shaft and figure out a good way to keep the chuck from rotating to test that out though.
Crusty
cool stuff!

I'm not set on a color; if y'all have something close, that'll work!
swizz
Nice sheath Brandon! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Is that a railroad spike knife?
Dypheron
QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 17 2015, 04:51 AM) *
Nice sheath Brandon! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Is that a railroad spike knife?

That's a medieval wrought iron knife I picked up a while back from BudK. Unlike most of their selection that looks big in the picture that was the exact opposite. Cool little knife though.

Now that I know my template is a good fit for Crusty's iron I'm going to go ahead and start. What style holster did you want Crusty? Same style as the one we test fit with, or something more along the lines of the one you have but sitting lower on the hip?
Crusty
QUOTE (Dypheron @ Feb 3 2015, 03:16 PM) *
That's a medieval wrought iron knife I picked up a while back from BudK. Unlike most of their selection that looks big in the picture that was the exact opposite. Cool little knife though.

Now that I know my template is a good fit for Crusty's iron I'm going to go ahead and start. What style holster did you want Crusty? Same style as the one we test fit with, or something more along the lines of the one you have but sitting lower on the hip?

I liked your design; that would be a cool one!
Dypheron
Finally got time over the weekend to get some work done on Crusty's holster, quite pleased with the way the holster bucket came out. Pulled duty for 12 hours today with nothing to do but think about stuff and I'll be damned if I didn't have a few more ideas for the belt hoop and back piece. Tell you what Mike, this is turning out to be the fanciest simple design yet. Which isn't saying much considering it's only the 4th full sized holster I've made, but hey. Got something special on order for it too... thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Crusty
QUOTE (Dypheron @ Apr 13 2015, 08:35 PM) *
Finally got time over the weekend to get some work done on Crusty's holster, quite pleased with the way the holster bucket came out. Pulled duty for 12 hours today with nothing to do but think about stuff and I'll be damned if I didn't have a few more ideas for the belt hoop and back piece. Tell you what Mike, this is turning out to be the fanciest simple design yet. Which isn't saying much considering it's only the 4th full sized holster I've made, but hey. Got something special on order for it too... thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm stoked to see it! Thanks for working on it!!
Dypheron
Sneak preview of something I worked up yesterday...I really hope this goes together like I'm planning.

Click to view attachment
Crusty
Gonna work that in to a belt?
Dypheron
QUOTE (Crusty @ Apr 16 2015, 01:54 PM) *
Gonna work that in to a belt?

It's for another prototype.

Another sneak preview, your holster will be finished this evening Mike! Totally unintentional but I love how the dragon I use as a makers mark is hiding behind it!

Click to view attachment
Crusty
cool indeed!
Dypheron
And here's the final product. I didn't technically lie about the cartridge loops, all of my holsters to date are still prototypes. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Even has a fancy dancy Air Force retention strap concho for style.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
swizz
Excellent work Brandon! worthy.gif worthy.gif
Love the concho and great pics! Great attention to detail.
Crusty
That's a work of art!! AF concho is a great touch. THanks Brandon!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Dypheron
Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it Mike! I had a thought this morning, next time we get together bring the holster and I'll punch a new hole to relocate that concho a bit. (screw back touches the cylinder slightly due to the pistol I used being a different size than his)
Crusty
Rog, will do! The concho is wide enough you should be able to slide it 1/4" or so and it should clear. Thanks again... I am in awe of how awesome it turned out!!
swizz
QUOTE (Dypheron @ Apr 20 2015, 08:22 AM) *
(screw back touches the cylinder slightly due to the pistol I used being a different size than his)

You should be able to fix that by removing the concho... then take a Dremel and rout out the leather where the screw back sits. You can rout it deep almost all the way to the skin... most of the leather's strength is in the skin. I usually go about 1/16" or so deep. Then reinstall the concho and the metal screw-back should be recessed into the leather and not touch the weapon. I have to do this with all hardware (snaps mostly) so that they do not scratch knife when sliding in and out of the sheath. If it still touches, you can glue a thin piece of Deer hide into the recession over the screw back.
Look at the pic in Post #344 as an example of what I mean Here. Since the metal you are working with is cylindrical this may or may not work.
swizz
I'm not too far behind with your sheath Crusty. It will be burly at 6-layers thick, and needs to be. This is a large and heavy knife as you know.
I'm almost ready to start sewing. If I'm gonna match Brandon, I'll need the same thread from him. Also, rather than doing a basket-weave I can keep it natural like Brandon and add that same concho if I can get my hands on one. Any thoughts guys?
Here are most of my cut pieces and took a little trial and error.... but that's what I have a big ol cowhide fer! It's gonna be a unique sheath.
Lapis Sheath construction by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr
Crusty
QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 20 2015, 06:03 PM) *
I'm not too far behind with your sheath Crusty. It will be burly at 6-layers thick, and needs to be. This is a large and heavy knife as you know.
I'm almost ready to start sewing. If I'm gonna match Brandon, I'll need the same thread from him. Also, rather than doing a basket-weave I can keep it natural like Brandon and add that same concho if I can get my hands on one. Any thoughts guys?
Here are most of my cut pieces and took a little trial and error.... but that's what I have a big ol cowhide fer! It's gonna be a unique sheath.
Lapis Sheath construction by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr

You guys are amazing sewing through that leather! The stitching on Brandon's is perfect.

He did order an extra concho... as far as the finish, having them both natural seems like a good idea, but I'll leave that up to the artist!
Dypheron
It's just 138 fine black waxed thread, 7 stitch per inch. I do have an extra concho as Mike said as well, let me know if you want it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.