Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Millions of questions...
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
NewRockHounder
Oh KAY - So I got SIO, tried it on a few specimens this past month - Not the greatest of results. Keep in mind, I've been doing it in the garage... I know... but it's really the only ventilated area I have. I had a limited amount of distilled water, so I did what I could. (I'll have pics later) The last batch, I didn't have any more D. water to rinse, so I used, (what I think) is the next best thing.... SNOW! It really seemed to work well. I've been soaking each batch for upwards of a week and a half - I'm sure the cold has something to do with it... but any help... is much appreciated. Anywho, this first one isn't so much a question - just need input as to what I'm doing wrong.

Hey, the first question - Would it be possible to use a tile saw (granted I can make something to hold said specimen without cutting my fingers off) to cut them? Or is Lapidary the only way to go? (Ooh, double question, zing!)

Related question: Is there anywhere, that's not a mining store, to get some type of powder/wax/something! to polish them? (Or again, Lapidary only?) (( Oh snap, another double question))

Eh - I think... that's it, I'm sure I'll think of something more as soon as I hit the 'post' button.

Colin
fenixsmom
Maybe you can find an answer in here as far as the acid polishing is concerned?
http://m.wikihow.com/Polish-Quartz-Crystals
Coalbunny
QUOTE (NewRockHounder @ Jan 4 2015, 03:23 PM) *
Oh KAY - So I got SIO, tried it on a few specimens this past month - Not the greatest of results. Keep in mind, I've been doing it in the garage... I know... but it's really the only ventilated area I have. I had a limited amount of distilled water, so I did what I could. (I'll have pics later) The last batch, I didn't have any more D. water to rinse, so I used, (what I think) is the next best thing.... SNOW! It really seemed to work well. I've been soaking each batch for upwards of a week and a half - I'm sure the cold has something to do with it... but any help... is much appreciated. Anywho, this first one isn't so much a question - just need input as to what I'm doing wrong.

Hey, the first question - Would it be possible to use a tile saw (granted I can make something to hold said specimen without cutting my fingers off) to cut them? Or is Lapidary the only way to go? (Ooh, double question, zing!)

Related question: Is there anywhere, that's not a mining store, to get some type of powder/wax/something! to polish them? (Or again, Lapidary only?) (( Oh snap, another double question))

Eh - I think... that's it, I'm sure I'll think of something more as soon as I hit the 'post' button.

Colin

Not bad, only 999,996 left to ask until you're done!

I have been with the understanding that the blade is different on a tile saw. I could be wrong, but then would the industry be wrong? Compare a diamond blade to a tile blade.
fenixsmom
They have diamond blades for a tile saw. Also carbide. If I remember correctly, tile blades don't have teeth like a wood cutting blade. I can always be of faulty memory.
fenixsmom
Here is an article about cutting that I never considered.
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Rock-Saw-Blades-/1...01059438/g.html
Denise
QUOTE (NewRockHounder @ Jan 4 2015, 03:23 PM) *

Colin

Lets see if I can help answer your questions. When using Super Iron Out (SIO) you need to make sure to have plenty of ventilation and done in warmer temps. You also need to make sure to use "distilled" water. If you don't have enough on hand, hold off on the project don't just substitute for something like "snow".

As far as using a tile saw for lapidary projects, I would recommend against it. I have learned that there are tools for all kinds of jobs and if the right tool is not used, safety is compromised......Not good! There are plenty of places online where you can order lapidary saws used and new and polishing grits. We show lots of different saws and grinding tools for lapidary work all over the forums. If the stone is soft enough, one can even polish it with wet/dry sandpaper.....kept wet. This is how I polished out several Opal pieces.

I hope this helps some but ask away if you have more questions.

Denise
NewRockHounder
Question #eh...6? (ok now 7, lol) I can load geocom just fine and dandy - but can't for the life me get LR to work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong other than using chrome as my IE. Every time I think I've figured out the problem(s) and reclick the link to take me to LR - it redirects me to the first page....

Any ideas?

Colin
Caveman
I had that problem for the longest time - but that was on IE, not Chrome. It works on both for me now, but I use Chrome to access it because it works faster. Try updating/reloading Chrome - that's how I FINALLY got it to start working for me. That, and my ISP did a server software upgrade....
Coalbunny
I was having a really hard time with LR2000 and GeoComm, then out of frustration I called the BLM and ragged on their IT guy about it. He put me on hold and brought the IT guy from the local phone company into the discussion, and it turned out my ISP/phone company were being jerks and finally I was able to get into LR2000.

They'll do that on occasion, even ColoradoProspector.com. Makes me mad.

They best watch it though...I have two of their poles in my backyard without any documentation validing their presence AND they say the poles aren't theirs...so I may have to threaten to cut those poles down...again. Last time they had the city PD come here and tell me I no can do. Hey, the chainsaw I was cranking on needs and overhaul first before it runs again, but the sound sufficed in getting the phone company excited!
Caveman
You're a troublemaker, that's what you are! eating-popcorn-03.gif
NewRockHounder
I'd look into that - if it was my comp... But, since it isn't... I'll go with Caveman's suggestion of - trying to access it through my library.
Caveman
If it's the ISP's problem, you do need to look into it as they can't correct it if they do not know about it. You need to make sure that it isn't your computer, then call the ISP, get ahold of their IT person, and have them check it out. Carl has blazed that trail, so use it!
Coalbunny
Just don't mention MY name if they catch ya chopping poles....! smiley-laughing021.gif
NewRockHounder
Welp, I've made some progress since my last post for this - I decided to try and use my corrupted explorer... just for shits and giggles... honestly more shits than giggles there. Still can't seem to access LR but at least it's giving me more options... IE - claim fees and what not. I guess I was expecting it to open a map window similar to geocom... but then again... kinda in the dark here... I'll keep at it... what else do I have to do... lol.. *sigh.*

Colin
Crusty
I had the same experience not having it work in IE but it did work for me in Firefox.
Coalbunny
QUOTE (Caveman @ Jan 6 2015, 09:06 PM) *
You're a troublemaker, that's what you are! eating-popcorn-03.gif

Shhhh!

That's supposed to be secret! greensmilies-017.gif
CP
QUOTE (NewRockHounder @ Jan 7 2015, 03:11 AM) *
Welp, I've made some progress since my last post for this - I decided to try and use my corrupted explorer... just for shits and giggles... honestly more shits than giggles there. Still can't seem to access LR but at least it's giving me more options... IE - claim fees and what not. I guess I was expecting it to open a map window similar to geocom... but then again... kinda in the dark here... I'll keep at it... what else do I have to do... lol.. *sigh.*

Colin

Good to hear you're not giving up Colin. It's well worth the effort to learn about LR and other resources to get accurate information you can rely on in the field.
I'll send you a pm later today about what else you can do and you're LR access to see if I can help out any.
Caveman
Colin, I ran into this on one of the groups I am following on Facebook - try oxalic acid in an old crockpot overnight in your garage - that should work! Just turn it off and let it cool down before you start washing the crystals.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.