Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safety rant....
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Coalbunny
I wonder how may of ya'll remember my rants about safety. Ragging people "safety safety safety! The gold ain't worth goin' after if yer too crippled up or dead because ya didn't mine it safe!". And I used examples of incidents to show why.

Well, here ya go. A newer example.
http://www.thestate.com/2014/12/31/3901320...dies-among.html

If ya mess around and get hurt, not only does that cost ya an awful lot (IF ya survive), but it's gonna lead to tighter laws and restrictions on the rest of us.

If yer gonna mess around with chemicals, make sure you know what yer doing.

Yeah, that nice piece of 2-1/2 ounce wire gold sure is purty, Might even net ya $5-6K when ya sell it. But then, if ya get billed $40K for the medical bills after ya fry yerself with nitric acid fumes...I suppose ya only have another $34-35K to cough up. Right?

Or like the man and his kids 20-30 years back in Idaho Springs. Burned off mercury from the gold...in his kitchen. Kilt him and one of his sons, permanently poisoning his other son. "Thanks dad!" rolleyes.gif

If ya hate life and yerself, don't punish us with yer carelessness. Find another way to do the Hari Kari. Just leave us small scale miners alone.

And if yer gonna mine, remember "Safety first makes a miner last! Always mine safely!"

And NO comments about my green tea from Area 22....LOL! smiley-shocked003.gif
fenixsmom
So which is more of a safety risk: green tea (I need to hear this story) or how you chose your handle?

(Probably the last time I'll bring it up)
Crusty
No shortage of folks striving to make the Darwin Awards list every year. No idea why you'd try and take shortcuts with stuff like this that will kill you. But then it is no different than those who choose to drink and drive... you know it is wrong, but you roll the dice anyway.

Coalbunny
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Jan 3 2015, 01:23 AM) *
So which is more of a safety risk: green tea (I need to hear this story) or how you chose your handle?

(Probably the last time I'll bring it up)

Ask CP & D about the green tea.
NewRockHounder
You can rant if you want to - you could be good friends of mine, but if you don't rant, oh if you don't rant, then yer no friend of mine.

Everybody sing it!

smiley-laughing021.gif
RhodoRose
You guys are killin' me! smiley-laughing021.gif
Coalbunny
A few years back we had a group dig at Area 22. I had with me a small 1-1/2 gallon plastic gas can that has never been used before. I washed it out and put "green tea with honey & ginsing" in it. Each time I filled it up, coming to A22 and going home afterwards, people looked at me like I was weird.

Funny thing is, when I was at (undisclosed community) getting a refill, I was actually "accepted" as (OMG! Sit down! Sit down!) "normal", by the locals for that.

Yeah. I swore. One step shy of using God's name in vain...calling myself normal. Too weird.

Anyhow, we're at A22, having a blast, and one morning I get out of my tent, and grab the gas can. And I start slurping some tea. Boy was it good! Well, there was a suburban driving really really slow down the road next to the campsites, and the driver & his wife were staring at me. D&D's son came up and asked for some. So I let him have a sip. I then guzzled some more, waved at the folks in the 'burban, and went down the the creek....As the 'burban took off like a rocket.

Never could figure out why they didn't join us....
smiley-laughing021.gif
fenixsmom
What a riot! Make sure to label that correctly. Hate for someone to pull the ol switcheroo on you!
Denise
I agree Jessie, that could go wrong quick....I'm a firm believer that there is a tool for everything and if the right tool isn't used, safety is compromised.
Watching Carl and H20 was like watching an old episode of Laurel and Hardy. laurel_and_hardy.gif

Offering to help H20 carry his equipment across the creek only to be refused, then watch him take a face plant instead doing it alone. slaphead.gif
Then watching Carl drive across the creek to recover his stuff! jawdrop.gif Ironic you ended up with a flat tire after that stunt Carl.

Lessons to be learned here folks.....Safety should always come first or one could step in it hard.
happy112.gif
Coalbunny
IIRC the flat tire came from H2O & I going to the cafe 12 miles away and finding out the fella that flattened it was also the BF of the waitress H2O & I were swooning to.

But then, being high altitude and all...good food, cute wimin, lack of oxygen...my memory is likely running amiss.

again.
smiley-chores016.gif
fenixsmom
Lol sure! Blame the altitude for thinking with the wrong head!!! Silly bunny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.