Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to go
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
crayon
Hi everyone! I am new to the site (my first post- whoop!!)

We homeschool our daughters (12 and 10) and in May (end of) we are heading out to CO/WY area. Our goal is to prospect "land" and "towns" :-D to find where we want to "prospect" for gold and gems. I don't know anything- like zlich. But my girls are all about doing this- and I am game.

We will have a newborn too (due early May)- so within an hour 90 minutes to an actual "town" would be good. But we love the woods, streams and isolation too and small little hole in the wall towns.

Can you give me some ideas of areas or towns to look at and what kind of permits/clams/license I need to look into/get or are the best for our situation. I see some land that we can get for like a few thousands that is a "claim" but you can't live on it. We don't need to have a stick built house- but a travel trailer would be ideal and we don't need to be there 12 months a year.

Thanks- that was a bit jambled- but I don't know where step one is! So, if I am not clear, pleas ask.
CP
Welcome to the forums crayon and congratulations on your upcoming new addition to the family.

I've moved your post/question over to the outings and adventures section.
You've found the perfect site to help you get started out properly, make yourselves right at home browsing the forums and website, you'll find tons of info that will help you get started in the field properly and avoid trespassing or claim jumping while you're learning.

Post up questions as they arise with more reading, we have a great group of folks here who are willing to help.

crayon
Thank you! I was not sure where to post it. :-D

And thank, regarding the new baby- we are pretty excited :-D
Crusty
Welcome to the forum! If you're on Facebook, we have a presence there as well (link in my signature). But here in the forum is where you're going to find more info than you could ever ask for! I recommend spending some time over the winter doing some reading here and using that info to point you in the direction you want to go.

That's awesome you've got your youngsters interested in doing this!

Look forward to hearing how your adventure moves forward!
MikeS
Welcome crayon! You came to the right place for step 1!
Here is a good topic to start with for those new to prospecting - How Do I Avoid Claim Jumping?
Coalbunny
Welcome aboard Crayon!
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
RhodoRose
Welcome to the forums, Crayon! sign0016.gif

Well...since you're talking about a starting point... last summer a newcomer on the forum asked about places for her family with children to visit and gem-collect in the Front Range/Pikes Peak area. I sent her a write-up describing some of my favorite places. She and her family did a lot of the activities we discussed and it sounded like they had a fabulous time - so if you'd like me to send you that same write-up in a personal message, let me know and I'll send it over. Depending on your specific interests, I know there are many more great ideas to be found on this thread!

Cheers!

RhodoRose
Crusty
QUOTE (RhodoRose @ Dec 30 2014, 07:45 PM) *
Welcome to the forums, Crayon! sign0016.gif

Well...since you're talking about a starting point... last summer a newcomer on the forum asked about places for her family with children to visit and gem-collect in the Front Range/Pikes Peak area. I sent her a write-up describing some of my favorite places. She and her family did a lot of the activities we discussed and it sounded like they had a fabulous time - so if you'd like me to send you that same write-up in a personal message, let me know and I'll send it over. Depending on your specific interests, I know there are many more great ideas to be found on this thread!

Cheers!

RhodoRose

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif smiley-clapping.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.