Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Locating Mining Claims online for Boulder County
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
EarthEx
Greetings. My first post after joining a CP few days ago.

I'm been poking around the Jamestown/Central Mining district this fall looking for Au placer and mineral surface deposits. I want to determine if any of my possible prospects are open. A few years ago I used LR2000. Unfortunately, the Feds removed the mining claims section.

Boulder County Recording Division Online Services has a site where you can look up public records. Doing a search on mining claims via T-R-S, the site returns Reception Number, Location Certificate and Filers name. No GPS coordinates or map containing detailed location info.

Is there a place where I can get more info online?

Thanks,
EarthEx
Lefthand Canyon
Boulder, CO
fenixsmom
Welcome to the forums EarthEx!
Go to the Lr 2000, choose MC Geo report. Then on the page titled: Please choose which criteria you would like to filter on". select meridian, township and range in your filters. Then hit the select criteria box.
On the next screen you need to fill in the three green "set" boxes. Admin State is CO. Then for the Case disposition choose active and hold shift while clicking on Pending. It should highlight both. Then to set your Meridian, township and range youll need to enter the 06th Meridian and you'll need to determine the township info. You can use geocommunicator or a blm topo map. You can add multiple townships by clicking on the add to MTR list box. Then when you are finished, click the run report box.

When you get to the report you can navigate the reports. It'll show the banner page right off the bat. It's just a summary of the results. Just play with the left drop box to navigate the pages.

To my more experienced members: If I missed any steps please correct me.
fenixsmom
I would also like to add that the LR2000 is currently the most accurate report that you can find. There are important steps you need to follow. If you find a website claiming they can produce maps with all current claims, they are lies. People mining miners for a "treasure map". The blm can't even keep up with incoming claims. It changes hourly. To put it into scale. BLM tried to create a program that kept up with active claims and failed miserably. That's why they ditched geocommunicator project.
lostnewb
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Dec 10 2014, 12:05 PM) *
I would also like to add that the LR2000 is currently the most accurate report that you can find. There are important steps you need to follow. If you find a website claiming they can produce maps with all current claims, they are lies. People mining miners for a "treasure map". The blm can't even keep up with incoming claims. It changes hourly. To put it into scale. BLM tried to create a program that kept up with active claims and failed miserably. That's why they ditched geocommunicator project.

Well put Fenix. That is just about the best way I could put it. If its not BLM its at least 90 days out of date.

-Chris
EarthEx
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Dec 10 2014, 11:36 AM) *
Welcome to the forums EarthEx!
Go to the Lr 2000, choose MC Geo report. Then on the page titled: Please choose which criteria you would like to filter on". select meridian, township and range in your filters. Then hit the select criteria box.
On the next screen you need to fill in the three green "set" boxes. Admin State is CO. Then for the Case disposition choose active and hold shift while clicking on Pending. It should highlight both. Then to set your Meridian, township and range youll need to enter the 06th Meridian and you'll need to determine the township info. You can use geocommunicator or a blm topo map. You can add multiple townships by clicking on the add to MTR list box. Then when you are finished, click the run report box.

When you get to the report you can navigate the reports. It'll show the banner page right off the bat. It's just a summary of the results. Just play with the left drop box to navigate the pages.

To my more experienced members: If I missed any steps please correct me.

Thanks Fenixsmom for your help. I was able to locate several claims within my T/R/S search area. However, when report says a claim is 20 acres in the NE quad of 160 acres, there appears to be no way of exactly knowing where that is. So, does LR2000 report on the GPS location? Also, in the upper left corner of the report are the words "Click here to see on map", that does not work. Any advise?
fenixsmom
You can also break them down into sections I believe MikeS told me as far as 1/8ths. The best thing you can do is to get out there on foot and locate the claim markers. Make sure to also go to Boulder chamber or commerce and see if there is patented claims. Its a lot of steps to go through, but the reward is valuable in the end.

As far as getting GPS coordinates, I believe if you go to the BLM field office in Lakewood they have the exact location on the master plait. Just ask and they will help you! Remember to bring your t/R/S information with you. The current claim owners CMC # might help expedite the process.
swizz
QUOTE (EarthEx @ Dec 10 2014, 03:02 PM) *
However, when report says a claim is 20 acres in the NE quad of 160 acres, there appears to be no way of exactly knowing where that is.

Jessie, you are giving some great advice!
Hi EarthEx and welcome to CP! sign0016.gif
In the quote above.... are you looking for the 20 acre claim boundaries within that 160 acres?
If so....
Actual claim boundary mapping can only be found in the physical public records at the County Clerk/Recorder, Lakewood BLM Headquarters, or from the claim owner him/herself.
Here's how it usually goes for me:
I visit the Lakewood BLM Public Room and go to the Docket. Present the Docket person with the claim number and he/she pulls the file(s) for me. I take them to a desk provided by the BLM in the Public Room, sit down, and review the files deciding which I want to copy and take with me. A physical claim map (usually hand drawn) with boundary description is required with a mineral claim filing and included in these public records. Bring the files back to the Docket and tell the Docket person which documents I want copies of (boundary map, boundary description in this case, maybe more).... he/she makes the copies and charges a small fee per copy. I get back on mule with pick and shovel and scamper off quietly.
CP
Hi EarthEx and welcome to the forums.

Good answers everyone. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Actually no there is not a place "online" to find more information than what you did at the county's database EarthEx. You can access the LR2000 system to find all mining claims with just the filers name and or the claim name/number. All of which should have also been contained at the county level records. To get the details within those files you'll have to actually pull the files like Swizz said at the county or BLM office either one, that file or each claim will contain that placement (gps?) with written description and map filed by the claim staker if done properly.

For patented land ownership status, I believe fenixsmom meant you should check with the county assessor's office though rather than the chamber of commerce. smiley-cool14.gif
fenixsmom
Why yes I did! Darn hydrocodone messing up my brain.... smiley-laughing021.gif
leonard
I think that most claims in Boulder county don't have GPS coordinates. They were filed using legal description. The legal description was determined by dividing a topo map section in 1/2 on down to a 20 acre size.

Good luck finding claim markers. They are removed almost as fast as they are placed.

Leonard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.