Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Over looked
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
NewRockHounder
So when I was newish to you all and Mike S. took me up on his claim and I found my first pocket ever... on the last day, within the last couple hours of the trip.... pulled out a couple nice double terminations of smokey quartz... and a few broken smokeys as well... anywho, whilst straitening out that collection that I had in a tub - that I needed to amass my endless collection in - I was reanalyzing the smokeys and I came across this... my first combo and I didn't even know it... The first few are with enhanced color to show the purple/blue off better, then the last three are normal smiley-shocked003.gif Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Crusty
very cool piece!
Coalbunny
Nice!
Denise
That piece is just too cool Colin, good job!! Sweet looking Smokey Quartz with Fluorite. smiley-clapping.gif extra_happy.gif

Very very nice find!!
emoticon-misc-004.gif
NewRockHounder
If I knew how to clean pieces better... Dot Dot Dot...

It'd probably look better...
Denise
You'll get there Colin, even cleaning them has it's process to learn.
When you are wanting to clean them better, you can check out the "Specimen cleaning" thread for tips. Should help some. happy088.gif
NewRockHounder
Thanks for the link Denise - I'll try vinegar.

Most helpful link.

Colin
lostnewb
QUOTE (NewRockHounder @ Dec 9 2014, 10:16 AM) *
Thanks for the link Denise - I'll try vinegar.

Most helpful link.

Colin

I have had very good luck with SIO. Just make sure your smart about it. Gloves, Goggles, Mask, Ventilation. All important things. I found the most important is distilled water. I have well water where I am at and it caused a yellow buildup on my crystals.

-Chris
MikeS
Awesome! Double terminated smokey with Fluorite! Even I haven't found something like that (or at least have not fit them together yet). Good job fitting them back together. There is a learning curve for that as well. I am still working on that one for sure.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
NewRockHounder
Want it back Mike? Had either of us known what I have... I would've offered to return to the claim owner sooner. And nothings fit back together - came that way, no assembly required. smiley-laughing021.gif

It's the more respectable thing to do - offer to give it back to you. Since it was on yer claim n all..

Colin
MikeS
No way. I don't work like that. It's yours! Very nice. We pulled out more stuff from the hole you started. We might find we have more matches one day.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
NewRockHounder
Fosho - I thought bout changing my forum name to "The Pocket Finder," but doesn't have quite the same ring as NRH. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

And thanks - tho as we discussed prior to digging - you see what I get and take what's yers - tech, you didn't see it... so it's open if you want it, the offer stands. My friend, the offer stands.

Colin
NewRockHounder
So tell me if I'm right - is this a very small topaz on the side of my Smokey Fluorite combo? Sorry - hard to capture it on camera Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
MikeS
It is hard to tell what it is from the pics. I would need a closer look to give an opinion on that one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.