Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: past geological surveys
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
fenixsmom
So, long story short. I'm looking to leave the clear creek nest and venture out into the vast wilderness. I was talking to EMac about an area I would like to begin research on. He asked me what past geology looked like for that area. I drew a blank. A brilliant idea to cut down on wasted trips. However, I was wondering if anyone knew of maybe an online resource to research past geological findings. Or maybe a good book that isn't very vague. Preferably not an expensive one as well. Thanks in advance my peeps!
MikeS
I recommend looking at the club researched areas. I plan on going to go to a few of them next season.
For gold, I use books and websites to find out if a area has a history of gold. If you search the mining history of the county or area then you may come up with more detailed results.
For minerals in general in Colorado I use the PeakToPeak website, books and anything I can find on the area I am curious about.
Caveman
I will be researching the Sangre de Cristo range on the eastern side (Wet Mountain Vally side) for some trips this spring - I need to hook up with you on this. I will send the areas I'm interested in this weekend.
fenixsmom
Thank you gentleman! I shall begin there!
Denise
Good advice Mike! Mindat is also a good source to use for past geological finds in specific areas. You can also check the pinned topic in the club members protected section of the forum. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Great info to have!!

I hope this helps some and good luck researching your area of interest.
happy088.gif
Clay Diggins
I would suggest the following books as starters for your area.

Geology and Ore Deposits of the Front Range & Geology and Ore Deposits of the Front Range, CO - Plates
is a must have for those folks in Denver and the populated half of Colorado. Gold in your backyard and this explains why and where. The book is 58 Mb and the Maps (Plates) are 76 Mb. The maps are extremely detailed and very useful to prospecting research.

Early Records of Gilpin County, Colorado 1859-1861 - Mining Districts
This is one of my favorite records in the Library. I've been studying the formation and workings of early mining districts for years. This record is one of the best examples of early miner's self governance still around. 19 mining districts records are there in total. 19 Mb.
Learn what a real mining district is and how they governed themselves. A real eye opener!

The Official Manual of the Cripple Creek District, Colorado (1900)
This one is packed with information, maps and drawings! Over 300 active mining operations on Cripple Creek are described and mapped with extensive drawings of the underground workings. The definitive record of turn of the century Cripple Creek.

I've got lots more. My mining library has over 1,000 volumes. If you have a particular area in mind I could dig around and possible give a recommendation.

Heavy Pans
fenixsmom
AWESOME! You rock! Thank you!
CP
Good input everyone!
For both Caveman and Jessie’s areas of questions, I’d have to say the best bet would be that pinned thread in the club members protected forum Denise mentioned. Great one honey! signs021.gif
Ya’ll check that out and see if it isn’t loads of help for those questions.
happy088.gif
dbx
Any links to how to read up on these ?
http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/maps/MapView/
:
I know what the symbols stand for, but
not sure how to 'read' it.
Crusty
You'd be surprised how much you'll find Googling. If you can find some key words or throw in the county an "mining" or "gold" and you'll often get hits on historical sites or even Amazon books that will let you read most of them for nothing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.