Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Philae Deployment
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Space and Astronomy
EMac
Anyone else going to watch this? I don't plan to be up at 1:35AM when they release it, but should be able to catch the touchdown in the morning.

ESA's Rosetta Site
swizz
Fascinating!
I can't figure out when or how to follow it live though. The article said that it would deploy from the spacecraft at X time but then not land on the comet until about 7hrs later. I'm assuming it has to be watched via web links they provided and not on the NASA channel. Have you had a chance to translate those times yet? I'd love to see some live footage of that landing.
They should be able to collect some incredible data from this!
EMac
QUOTE (swizz @ Nov 11 2014, 11:37 AM) *
Fascinating!
I can't figure out when or how to follow it live though. The article said that it would deploy from the spacecraft at X time but then not land on the comet until about 7hrs later. I'm assuming it has to be watched via web links they provided and not on the NASA channel. Have you had a chance to translate those times yet? I'd love to see some live footage of that landing.
They should be able to collect some incredible data from this!

The link has another link to it, but to save you time, the streaming links from this page should work (my plan tomorrow anyway): Follow Philae landing live

They should release the probe around 1:35AM MST (0835 UTC), and touchdown is ~9:00 AM MST (1600 UTC)...it's a very slow descent taking about 7 hours.
swizz
Thanks! I'm supposed to plow tomorrow morning and hope I'm done by then.
EMac
Touchdown in about 15 minutes; their negative thrusters aren't working last I read, so might be interesting with just the harpoon.
EMac
Success! I saw the cheering when it landed, but they're finally talking about it now.
Denise
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif smiley-clapping.gif Definitely watched it! History in the making!!! Wooohoooo! extra_happy.gif
swizz
Dammit, I was plowing. kick_can.gif
I think this is really exciting stuff and am anxious to see some of the data from it. greensmilies-012.gif
Woody
There is a telavised event tonight on the landing. The advertisement for it says it will air at 9pm on channel 284, but as I check the listing I see it comes on at 7 and then again at 10 PM. This is for Direct TV so check your local llistings for changes. Woody
swizz
Which network Woody?
fenixsmom
That's the science channel according to Google Swizzle-Stick.
swizz
fenixsmom
I see you're virtual crickets. I don't have cable nor free channels. (No converter box) I did what I could for ya buddy!
fenixsmom
(In Scottish accent) I'm sorry, I'm not sorry, hamburgerrrrr!!!
swizz
It's been on a LOT of channels since yesterday and I'm glad it's getting this much press. I think it's one of the most amazing scientific achievements of mankind thus far.
It's in for a wild ride from what I understand. Two problems:
1. The anchoring harpoon system failed. I think they only stuck one leg.
2. Solar charging. It's parked on a shady side now and the on-board batteries have roughly 60hrs. Will require solar exposure for charging.
CP
I would agree, quite an achievement all in all! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Seems like it was a planned "soft crash" in case such a situation occurred that both slowing rockets and harpoons did not fire. I think they said 3 soft bounces that ended it up in a shadow. Hopefully the solar panels see some sun before the batts are toast, there will be some very interesting things learned from this mission over time.

Watching the spokes people speak after the landing, I thought it was amusing how the missions "goal" was so delicately worded so as to keep public and politicians interest in the future space programs. Water is what they hope to find which will be a huge step to moving forward with our ability to further space exploration. What the end game actually is though, over coming the weight launching hurdles........once we find a good source of water out there, that will enable us to make fuel for rockets and human consumption, then in turn we can start to produce materials to build ships, stations etc for human use in space. Build it up there, then it doesn't have to be launched out of earths gravity.
Guess that means we'll be up there doing some MINING!! emoticon-misc-004.gif WOOOHOOOO! extra_happy.gif Oh shhhh! Don't say that out loud, we are after water. bop.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.