Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To cut or not to cut? III
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Denise
Ok, here is a very cool specimen from Colorado. It has been named the "Monster Mash" as it contains, Amazonite, Smokey Quartz and Fluorites all mashed into this one specimen. Problem is that the left side of the specimen has a seam that might break away. Most of the crystals are broken on that side, but it does have a nice piece of Amazonite and some small Fluorites. chin.gif

What would you do with this specimen.......make your choice above and let us know why?

Pictures of the specimen at hand....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Caveman
It's a great piece as it is.
NewRockHounder
What Caveman said - lol, leave it alone! Ok, I got some flaws on one side, you don't see me asking to hack at it or saw it - smiley-laughing021.gif
Denise
You cracked me up Colin! smiley-laughing021.gif
Crusty
I'm in the bigger is better camp, so I'd keep it as is.
MikeS
Based on what I have been learning about aesthetics when dealing with mineral specimens, I would trim off the upper left 1/3 of the piece(pic 1), and likely trim the right and bottom parts into 2 specimens. Most collectors don't want a bunch of "excess" hanging out around the main specimen that you want them to focus on. I'm sure my friend at the mineral cleaning lab would agree.
chores041.gif
CP
This piece has been hanging around for a long time and I think needs to have some work done on it. There are still some dandy crystals on the piece but too many others have been dinked and busted.
When the pics are enlarged you can see the nice small fluorites in stacks around the amazonite, but the really sweet fluorite that's nearly impossible to see is visible in the second pic towards the lower center of the piece in a dark pocket hole...it's probably 3/8-1/2" and deep purple.
As Mike said, the aesthetics can really make a huge difference in the final presentation of the specimen. I'm hoping that a little work will enhance this piece and end up with much more pleasing piece although it will be a bit smaller. music037.gif

On this piece there does happen to be a fracture already on it that may be to our advantage for this purpose. I voted to whack it with a hammer smiley-shocked003.gif OK "lightly" smiley-laughing021.gif but just a tap or two in the right direction should shave or knock off the left side. Hopefully without damaging any of the better pieces still on the matrix.

Then it still may need a little trimming on a saw as well for more finite trimming at places...maybe separated into two as Mike said.

I'll try to shoot a vid of the process to show what we'll do although Denise probably won't help with the "whack" part. I told her the rock pick is made for whackin' rocks. giggle.gif
swizz
I voted light hammer and agree based on what you said that a whack and trim would be best.
Can't wait to see more pics when you're done with it!
Denise
This is also the specimen featured on the homepage this month. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
fenixsmom
I was under the impression that a plate can more valuable in it's natural state. I'm genuinely asking if it's true, not meant as an accusation.
Denise
Great question Jessie, it definitely does! This piece would be more classified as a hand sized specimen though. As with any specimen or plate, they can sell better if not glued or repaired but they also look for how appealing it looks from all angles, so sometimes trimming makes it worth more. happy112.gif All depends on the piece I think.

As much as I dislike doing anything to this piece, I see the reasons for altering it a bit......just not sure about the pick tap.......if it goes well though, the piece is still in it's natural state. whew.gif
swizz
almost like..... "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" slaphead.gif
You could end up with two specimens though.
Wilma
I wouldn't change a thing! The more natural the better.
XerxesXerox
Save the rock! Leave the cutting to Nature and tasteless rich folks!
MikeS
QUOTE (Wilma @ Mar 3 2015, 12:52 PM) *
I wouldn't change a thing! The more natural the better.

QUOTE (XerxesXerox @ Mar 3 2015, 01:01 PM) *
Save the rock! Leave the cutting to Nature and tasteless rich folks!

Welcome to the forums Wilma and XerxesXerox! sign0016.gif

I like the natural look myself. Some of those "rich folks" are willing to pay good money for a well trimmed and cleaned mineral specimen. greensmilies-007.gif

Bunches of info on the forums here. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

-Mike
CP
A natural look is a good way to go if possible and that is exactly how it ended up too! chores017.gif happy112.gif Yep I did it! Man O' man did it work well too!
Here are a couple quick peeks to see the Monster Mash after trim as well as a link to the new video of how we did it.......with a rock hammer! smiley-shocked003.gif tomatoes.gif
Ended up with a much nicer looking "natural" specimen by using an old/odd "trim" method. Beating it with a rock hammer doesn't sound like a "trim" but it's all in how the tools are used. smiley-cool14.gif
Coolest part is we did know that the hidden fluorite had a purple phantom but with more light exposed on that pocket, we discovered both a purple and blue phantom occurring! smiley-cool14.gif The blue is very hard to see in this pic but it's in the lower right and upper left corners.

Hopefully I used enough flashy letters in text that no one will notice my poor spellin'...... rolleyes.gif smiley-laughing021.gif
Colorado Amazonite & Fluorite specimen - "Monster Mash" trimming video

Trimmed side view....
Click to view attachment

A close up of that sweet phantom Fluorite with both blue and purple phantoms!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Click to view attachment
roki
QUOTE (CP @ Apr 16 2015, 01:30 PM) *
A natural look is a good way to go if possible and that is exactly how it ended up too! chores017.gif happy112.gif Yep I did it! Man O' man did it work well too!
Here are a couple quick peeks to see the Monster Mash after trim as well as a link to the new video of how we did it.......with a rock hammer! smiley-shocked003.gif tomatoes.gif
Ended up with a much nicer looking "natural" specimen by using an old/odd "trim" method. Beating it with a rock hammer doesn't sound like a "trim" but it's all in how the tools are used. smiley-cool14.gif
Coolest part is we did know that the hidden fluorite had a purple phantom but with more light exposed on that pocket, we discovered both a purple and blue phantom occurring! smiley-cool14.gif The blue is very hard to see in this pic but it's in the lower right and upper left corners.

Hopefully I used enough flashy letters in text that no one will notice my poor spellin'...... rolleyes.gif smiley-laughing021.gif
Colorado Amazonite & Fluorite specimen - "Monster Mash" trimming video

Trimmed side view....
Click to view attachment

A close up of that sweet phantom Fluorite with both blue and purple phantoms!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Click to view attachment

Wow!! So it worked out all right. Great job. :)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.