Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found Meteor
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Space and Astronomy
sgaolson
Check it out
sgaolson
another
sgaolson
another
sgaolson
another
sgaolson
last one
russau
man, that rock looks familiar!
Si_NM
Man, amazing orientation on the face with all the flow lines,, details? ;)
sgaolson
Si, no idea, Russ and I pulled this out of a sluicebox while dredgeing in Colorado early this summer. I spoke with a couple of meteor "experts" and they gave me some test to try and they came back positve. I spoke with Mrs. CP last night and she thought it looked a lot like "slag" So, now I don't know.
Man I was real excited thinking it was a meteor!!!!!
Denise
Sorry Garry, I just know that in that area, they did ALOT of smelting which left alot of slag.
I have found many rocks just like that in the same area. Some the size of 2 of my fists
and as small as a marble. Here is a link to info on slag and smelting, I though you might like it.
http://www.fact-index.com/s/sl/slag.html

Let me know if im wrong!! I will have to go back and do some collecting. B) laugh.gif laugh.gif
Good luck Garry!

Sincerely,
Denise
:)
Si_NM
The tests are pretty straightforward. It should be magnetic as tested with a rare earth magnet. It needs to test positive for nickel in a wet chemical test using dimethylglyoxime to get a red precipitate. A tiny slice off the edge the size of a pea would be enough sample to test.
Si_NM
Actually the visual series looks really good. The top picture at the top of the stone looks like a roll over lip. Where this would be the upper or away side of the stone as it entered the atmosphere. The low pressure side so to speak. If an entering meteorite does not tumble, you often have ablating material on the entry face, curl up and around the back edge and make a little dam. That is what that looks like. But then if that is the case, you would expect to see the ablating surface opposite that face. And boy you do. The lines would be hard to duplicate with a slag pour. They look more like flow lines where a strong wind pushed the material.
I have the setup and chems to do the nickel test if you ever desire.
sgaolson
I may take you up Si. I'm passing thru NM in November on the way to AZ. Maybe we could hook up then....
sgaolson
Back at the RMMR Sandy from Sandy's Detectors had several meteors and some people came to her with what they thought were meteors. I don't remember which model it is, but Minelab makes a detector that gives a digital read out. Sandy and Gus said that if you pass a meteor thru the coil and the read out is a "31" and then bring it back thru in the opposite direction and you get a "31" again then you have a meteor. They demonstrated it several times. Now, a freind of mine that is a coin hunter has this Minelab, and when we passed the rock thru it, it gave a "31" both times. I tried to e-mail Sandy, and even called her once and left a message. She never returned it and may very well be out somewhere cooler than Dolan Springs AZ in August (who could blame her). I was hoping she could privde more information
Tom-ia
Garry, i dont remember which model of minelab she was using either, but i remember it had to read 2 sets of numbers to verify it was a meteorite....
31 30 is what she was showing us on the machine she and max were demonstrating about the meteorites with. 31 could come up on other things but when you got the double set with a 30 then they said it was a meteorite.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.