Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Copper Gulch
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Caveman
Well, after checking with LR2000, all I was able to find are "closed" claims in the area I want to hit, so now, off to the County Clerk & Recorder to do a final check. This Sunday or Monday are possibilities, if not, then 2 weeks from Saturday - maybe. MikeS - how's the mineral research going?
Crusty
I'm good for Sun or Mon, but with a 60% chance of rain Sun, I'd prefer Mon.
Caveman
QUOTE (Crusty @ Oct 9 2014, 12:24 PM) *
I'm good for Sun or Mon, but with a 60% chance of rain Sun, I'd prefer Mon.

Roger that, Crusty - NewRockHounder? MikeS? EMac? Woody? How about you guys? Up for some digging?
Crusty
What are we digging for in that neck of the woods? Recommended gear? Are we hiking in or close to our vehicles?

Looking forward to it!!
Caveman
Mike is working on what we are looking for, and I would recommend good boots, gloves, a jacket, a rain poncho or jacket, good work gloves, rock pick, hammer, shovel, hand trowels, chisels, brushes, pry's - Mike? What would you bring?

Water is a necessity. So are the gloves.

I will have my Estwing miners pick, so a pickax isn't necessary, and I will have spud bars in the truck too.

Edit: We will not be that far physically from the cars.... Time wise, though, well - it's a steep ridge area.
EMac
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 9 2014, 01:29 PM) *
Roger that, Crusty - NewRockHounder? MikeS? EMac? Woody? How about you guys? Up for some digging?

I can't make it this Sunday and have to work Monday (saving vacation for the upcoming holidays), but keep me in mind for 2-weeks from Saturday please! Maybe Jessie and I can carpool down that way.
Caveman
That would be very cool! Will do.
Rockyrat
So I may be interested in coming down and meeting several of you as well as putting my toe into the waters of what others seem to indicate is more of an addiction than a hobby (in a good way of course). I have been reading numerous posts in all of the forums for a little while now and this may be something that would be a good personal introduction. Ok, with that said I do have a couple of questions.

1) Where (kind of specifically) are you thinking of going? Google maps shows Copper Gulch as being Southwest of Canon City. Close enough to the Springs for me to do the one day jaunt.

2) I would like to bring my 13 year old daughter with me. I really haven't seen on any posts were members have brought their kid(s) with them. She likes to look for rocks, and I want to make sure that if she was to come that this would be something that she may enjoy and not be too serious for her. So, how serious will this adventure be?

That's it, for now...
Dypheron
Count us in for monday as well!
Caveman
QUOTE (Dypheron @ Oct 9 2014, 03:51 PM) *
Count us in for monday as well!

Very cool! Glad you will be there.
Woody
that all sound good,

I cant go this weekend though. It is opening day for rifle season and I will be bird-doggin' for my dad. He is getting up there and any year now might be his last to hunt, so understandably I wil be up there with him.

On a side note; as we speak my dog Aspen is giving birth and I am holding a 4 hour puppy in my lap as I type this. I got to go for now, daddy duty is calling.
Caveman
QUOTE (Rockyrat @ Oct 9 2014, 03:42 PM) *
So I may be interested in coming down and meeting several of you as well as putting my toe into the waters of what others seem to indicate is more of an addiction than a hobby (in a good way of course). I have been reading numerous posts in all of the forums for a little while now and this may be something that would be a good personal introduction. Ok, with that said I do have a couple of questions.

1) Where (kind of specifically) are you thinking of going? Google maps shows Copper Gulch as being Southwest of Canon City. Close enough to the Springs for me to do the one day jaunt.

2) I would like to bring my 13 year old daughter with me. I really haven't seen on any posts were members have brought their kid(s) with them. She likes to look for rocks, and I want to make sure that if she was to come that this would be something that she may enjoy and not be too serious for her. So, how serious will this adventure be?

That's it, for now...

Go thru Canon City and up over the pass to Parkdale and turn left on CR3 (Copper Gulch Rd), follow to the split off to Royal Gorge and bear right, staying on Copper Gulch. Go about 3.6 miles from that split to a pull out on the right. We will meet there. We are still working out which section to go to, but this is a good meeting spot.

Yes, bring your daughter.
MikeS
Work is a bit slow which should give me the chance to take Monday off. If that does not work out we can shoot for a few weeks down the road.

Most of the old mines nearby are metal ore based (primarily silver and copper) which should at least give a chance at some of the copper ores like Azurite and Malachite.
Usually when there is that many productive metal mines around there is a chance for gold as well.
While researching nearby areas (Canon, Royal Gorge, Texas Creek, etc.) I came up with an impressive list of other things that we may be able to find there:
Beryl (green), Quartz (clear, white, Amethyst, Agate, Jasper), Tourmaline (Black, and a gemmy variety called Elbaite that can be green, pink, and lilac colors), Columbite-Tantalite, Feldspar, Marble, Selenite, Mica (Muscovite, Biotite), Fluorite(purple).

As far as rock equip. Leave the heavy stuff in the car or at home. Usually the first investigation of an area is reading surface rocks and old mine tailings (if any) on the surface. More footwork and looking than hard diggin. I carry a pick, small shovel, eye loupe, rock books, maps and the basics for the Rocky Mountains in Fall.
I don't have the BLM map for that area so you should bring yours Caveman to make sure we are on grounds open for mineral entry as we go.
I have not had the chance to double check lr2000 but will this evening.
Crusty
Sounds like we've got a plan coming together! I've got room for 3 more in my truck if anyone wants to car pool!

Copy, standard rockhounding gear in the pack with some heavier artillery in the truck if we find something good and need to get serious lol

MikeS
In this case I will bring my 2 metal detectors as well. Even if there is no gold, they may help us find deposits of the other metals. I will also have a GPS unit and a digital scale so we can even do a specific gravity test in the field if want to.

RockyRat, I have not been there yet but it sounds like it won't be too serious of an adventure. Caveman says it's a little steep in spots but not far from the vehicles.
None of us have prospected this spot before as far as I know and we all may come home empty handed except with a fun day and new friends! For dipping your toes in this may actually be a good trip (weather permitting) because this is how it starts for a prospector. Exploring new turf. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
fenixsmom
Dawww thanks for thinking of me Rex :3 ::::::
Caveman
Outstanding! looks like a group large enough to cover some ground. 2 weeks from Saturday looks like it's in the works, too. Keep posting.
Rockyrat
Well it seems that I have lost the ability to read a calendar. It turns out my daughter has school next Monday, and has the following one off. Oh well, good luck out there.
Caveman
Drat! Was looking forward to meeting you.
NewRockHounder
As I told Caveman in a message, I won't be attending. I'm not in the right frame of mind currently - depression hit me hard last night - just my life in general, where I am, where I'm not going, this and that, bullshit that I won't bother you all with. Maybe in a week or two I'll feel better - but equally so, even then, I don't trust my truck for shit as I need a new clutch and new tires, that I won't be able to afford until my tax return next year. I'd ask for a ride but I don't really live close to anyone.. and/or don't want to bother Mike with another ride. If in the rare circumstance that some one does offer me a ride and I'm in a better state of mind - I'd need to know the exact date, and it would hafta be 14 days out so I can get time off work. Unless on the weekend.

Good luck guys, I'm sure you'll find something.
MikeS
I hope you get feeling better man. Sounds like Caveman is thinking about a follow up in a few weeks on the weekend. If weather and car let me, I'll pick you up.
NewRockHounder
Are you all camping? Or just a day trip?
Crusty
QUOTE (NewRockHounder @ Oct 10 2014, 01:40 PM) *
Are you all camping? Or just a day trip?

I'm planning on making it a day trip.
fenixsmom
Camping this time of year?! char060.gif you're a brave man Colin!
NewRockHounder
I was just asking - If it's Monday, I can't attend. Gotta work. Can't/Won't ask for time off till next year, need the money, what little there is. If ya'll going up Sunday, yeah, totally, if I can get a ride.. despite rain... if it ain't snow, it's manageable. Yeah it sucks digging in rain, learned from this past summer, but it can and WILL happen.
MikeS
I got Monday off. Looks like I will be there. Can I invite my brother and 2 diggin buddies Caveman?

Did some looking on google earth and I see 2 good parking spots along the road. The first is just before Sunset City(from hwy 50) and should give great access to sections 10 & 11. The second is near Poverty Mt. just before it re-enters BLM lands right next to the cattle guard and fence that marks the boundry which should be good access to sections 16 & 17. Both spots show hard rock exposure very close to parking and they both have the dry creek bed right there which is prob. the best place to start investigating what type of rock is in the area and also the best place to look for Agate and Gold (Detectors or dry methods).
MikeS
QUOTE (NewRockHounder @ Oct 10 2014, 06:29 PM) *
I was just asking - If it's Monday, I can't attend. Gotta work. Can't/Won't ask for time off till next year, need the money, what little there is. If ya'll going up Sunday, yeah, totally, if I can get a ride.. despite rain... if it ain't snow, it's manageable. Yeah it sucks digging in rain, learned from this past summer, but it can and WILL happen.

I'm going for the day on Monday. My last trip to the claim was diggin in the rain most of the time. At least I found 1 tiny pocket of quartz/fluorite.
Crusty
QUOTE (MikeS @ Oct 10 2014, 06:01 PM) *
I got Monday off. Looks like I will be there. Can I invite my brother and 2 diggin buddies Caveman?

Did some looking on google earth and I see 2 good parking spots along the road. The first is just before Sunset City(from hwy 50) and should give great access to sections 10 & 11. The second is near Poverty Mt. just before it re-enters BLM lands right next to the cattle guard and fence that marks the boundry which should be good access to sections 16 & 17. Both spots show hard rock exposure very close to parking and they both have the dry creek bed right there which is prob. the best place to start investigating what type of rock is in the area and also the best place to look for Agate and Gold (Detectors or dry methods).

Cool, I'll bring my detector... though I spent a couple hours sweeping around Chris's claim and all I found was a couple nails and some cans, and there is definitely gold there, so not sure how effective it is (or how effective I am lol)

Caveman
Sorry guys, computer issues.

Mike - yes, they would be welcome! I'll check google earth and get back to you - there is a parking spot I'm thinking of, and I'll send you the coordinates. Congrats on the florite!

Colin - no camping, day trips... sorry, but I do have a guest house that you can stay in, if needed. Saturday or Sunday in 2 weeks.....

Crusty, OH YEAH!

MikeS
QUOTE (Crusty @ Oct 10 2014, 07:14 PM) *
and all I found was a couple nails and some cans

That's what we are likely to find there too. Maybe with a few pull tabs mixed in if were lucky. smiley-laughing021.gif
I have a cheaper detector which is mostly good for treasure/coin hunting and back up for hunting for meteorites.
My new one which didn't see any real use yet is the Gold Bug II which is a bit more designed for small nuggets which is what is mostly what you will find in Colorado.
So while you are finding nails and cans, I will be digging up BB's and shavings! sweet.gif
NewRockHounder
What time are you heading up there Mike?
Caveman
All,

There is a large pull-out 2 tenths of a mile up the road from Parkdale, I think meeting there would be best as this is very easy to pull into, lots of space, etc. Then I can lead in to the place we will start.

Looks like we have Me, MikeS + 3, Crusty, and Brandon + his wife. Anyone else?

NewRockHounder
Im trying to contact my bosses to get the day off, haven't heard back yet. I'll try one of two again later tonight, if not, hopefully hear something tomorrow.
NewRockHounder
I know I stated above that I wouldn't ask for time off again... but having all of you in one place... hard to resist. And thanks to Fenixsmom, last night, for cheering me up - I feel better, much better, then I have the past couple days. So hopefully I hear back from either of my bosses. (makes me think of Office Space, "That's right bob, bob, I have 8 different bosses")

smiley-clapping.gif
fenixsmom
You are very welcome Colin. I'm glad I could bring a smile to your handlebars. smiley-laughing021.gif (it needed to be repeated)
NewRockHounder
rolleyes.gif
fenixsmom
That's right, just sit there smiling. :D
Crusty
SOunds like the plan is coming together! What time are we going to link up?

Brandon, do y'all want to ride with me or link up and drive together?

And Colin, if you get the time off, you can roll with me!

NewRockHounder
I appreciate the offer Crusty, but it would seem more logical to have Mike give me a ride. Considering he's coming south from Denver, I'm on the way. Rather than you driving north past Castle Rock, and then flipping south again. - That is, if Mike's ride offer still stands... and have yet to hear from my boss, gunna give him a call right now, while I'm thinking bout it.
Caveman
Glad that you are feeling better, Colin, and I hope things work out and you can make it. Working on a time frame now - If you get on Google maps and zoom in on Parkdale (on the otherside of the hill From Canon City on US50), you turn left on CR3, go 2 tenths of a mile, and on the left is a big pull-out. I would like to meet you guys there.
NewRockHounder
Have yet to hear back from my boss.... on a side note, kinda wish I hadn't left him a VM saying I want to go mining on Monday... now I can't call out sick, dammit.
Rockyrat
Hey Caveman didn't that area get burned by the Royal Gorge fire? I drove by there (but didn't go down CR3) a few weeks ago and it looked to me like those hills were pretty barren.

A long time ago, like in 1998, I used to work for a company that used one of the towers at the end of Rd 389B. Back then there used to be a padlocked gate to keep people out. Like I said, that was a while ago.
MikeS
QUOTE (NewRockHounder @ Oct 11 2014, 08:08 PM) *
That is, if Mike's ride offer still stands...

Sorry man, after you said you couldn't attend I asked to invite a few others and the car will likely be full. I have a motor mount issue going on which I should be able fix tomorrow. If you are able to meet up with Crusty that would be great. If your boss gives the ok of course.
Caveman
QUOTE (Rockyrat @ Oct 11 2014, 09:26 PM) *
Hey Caveman didn't that area get burned by the Royal Gorge fire? I drove by there (but didn't go down CR3) a few weeks ago and it looked to me like those hills were pretty barren.

A long time ago, like in 1998, I used to work for a company that used one of the towers at the end of Rd 389B. Back then there used to be a padlocked gate to keep people out. Like I said, that was a while ago.

No, the area that burned is taking CR3 over to Royal Gorge.... that's going left at te split, to the Royal Gorge Bridge. Staying right at the split, you continue onto Copper Gulch Road, into Copper Gulch. Now, about 10 years ago, there was a fire that ran through Glen Vista, but that was all pretty much private land. Those hills are pretty barren, and I would love to have a look - but it's private land, darn it.

Where is Rd 389B?
Caveman
Ok, guys - meet up time is 0900, and the place is the pull-out on the left 2 tenths of a mile down the road from Parkdale. Edit: We should be there about 30 mins. If you do not make that, then we will be at the pull out on the right, about 3.6 miles after the split off to Royal Gorge. Do not take the split to Royal Gorge - Stay right on Copper Gulch Road.
Crusty
Copy, 0900!

Colin, let me know when you hear from your boss!

Rockyrat
Ok, my bad. I was thinking that you were talking about CR3a which actually heads into the tourist area on the North side of the river.
NewRockHounder
I'm gunna call it a no go, my bosses cell just goes to VM. Was worth a shot. I'll try him again later today... but I have high doubts in getting the day off. I'll send you a message on FB, Crusty. Either or, probably around 5pm today is the last time I'll try calling my boss.
Dypheron
I have to back out as well, I've been under the weather all day and it's not getting any better.
NewRockHounder
A no go for me. Wish I could have gone but to short a notice. Both on Caveman's end and mine - equally to blame. Need at least 14 days notice ahead of sched. trip. Anywho, hope you guys find some cool stuff - hopefully ya'll won't get rained out as well.

Till next time -

Colin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.