Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I See I'm Over My Head
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Off Topic
NewRockHounder
So I've stopped making posts - if you(s) haven't noticed.. I see now that my new illness (rock hounding) is on me... and despite meeting a few people from this site.. I need to be a member for anything major to go down and/or for me to learn anything from pro's (despite Mike s).. , maybe it's my new onset of depression or just life in general (that's how it is) (I know this) - I can't afford yearly membership - not short term, nor long... ain't gunna happen no matter how much I'd like to join. I literally live pay check to pay check. I'd like to think I can get a claim by next year but I highly doubt it - due to my lack of experience in this matter... shit happens.. that it does.. that it does.. Sorry to rant on to you all, but I figured I'd make a post as to my silence. I'll probably stop checking this site as I'm waaay out of my league.

To Mike S: Thank you a hundred fold for inviting me to your claim - it was a life experience that won't go missing. (I still talk about it)

To Woody: I wish we could have gotten together - tho yer work hours are crazy.

To Crusty: Thanks for the zingers, more often than not, through me for a loop, but kudos none the less.

To Caveman: Thanks for posting to my tags. (I'd post my life, *thus far* but no one really cares)

Felix, CP's, anyone I've forgotten.. my bad, but thanks for responding to my posts and/or giving me advice a long the way..

I feel kind of sad posting this.. but it's probably my depression getting the best of me.. anywho, everyone take care..

Colin Pendleton
Crusty
While being a member is great, there is so much available "outside the wire", both in historical info in years of posts and access to a whole lotta smart folks who have no problem sharing with anyone who asks, member or non-member.

I've been where you're at, scraping to get by and not having money for luxuries. Having an outlet like sharing your experiences here is free and so is getting out and kicking rocks (well other than gas money) and sharing what you find.

Hope the funk passes quickly and you get back to feeling OK. We're here for you!

Caveman
Hey, NRH'r you are invited out here when I put something together - don't give up, and keep postin' - This is a learning experience, and this time of year, things are wrapping up, people are winterizing, and are otherwise busy as heck. We do want you here even as you are! I was a lurker for awhile, then actually joined up much later. I am trying to put something together before the snow flies - my research is going well, only finding "closed" claims thus far - need to stop by the county, though. The other area - I will get to tomorrow, and there are only hunters in the RV area now.... and they will be leaving soon as the elk have moved to more inaccessible areas. The summer residents have also cleared out, so only a few full timers are in the nearby cabins. We can have a reasonably sized group now, and you would be welcome to join in. Talk at you later!
fenixsmom
Crusty is right Colin. We're here for ya! If you can make it up to clear creek I can name three folks that would most likely love to meet up with you. Our specialty is gold. Although 2/3 are members, you are far from excluded. The only reason we probably seem like the 'in-crowd' is because for the most part we are the only ones that talk on a regular basis. I would definitely say that judging by your recent Facebook post you are certainly suffering from depression. If you need someone to talk to man, I'm always here for you. From the bottom of ny heart. You are not alone.

If you do come and join us i have a spare pan i can give ya.
Crusty
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Oct 8 2014, 06:54 PM) *
If you do come and join us i have a spare pan i can give ya.

DON'T DO IT; IT'S A TRAP! That's how they got me!! I was just an innocent rock hound like you, with no interest in gold. Borrow a pan they said... give it a try they said... Now I'm a gold fiending crackwhore jonesing for a bit of color! smiley-laughing021.gif

I even thought of panning the little crick along the walking path in my neighborhood! signs026.gif

Woody
I'm going to give you a sugestion,

Everybody gets the Hoe-Hums every once and a while, it is an ingreident of life. The path you choose during such times is what makes successful people successful. It can be very hard to rebound back when you have to be a "self Motivator" A self-motivator is someone that does not have a close network of friends and family to readlily draw support from. A real good way to help move past such times is to step back and look at where you are, compaired to where you were.

Think back to about 4 months ago. If I'm following you correctly, you were as green as they come. It was exciting to find even a small shard of stone that had a crystal face to it. During this summer you had several outings and began to find better quality stuff. Recently you found a couple of pockets and might be on the edge of some really great finds. Even if you didn't hit the jackpot you are at least stepping off in the right direction. So I would say you are a lot better now than you were at the start of the Summer. Even if you are by yourself every outing you go on builds up your knowledge base. So too does reading what other like-minded people are posting. The sharing in other prospectors experiences help to sharpen our own learning curves. That holds true at the professional level as well as for the novice. Now as far as the notion of having a different acceptance than say a paid club member......... Horse Pucky! And I will prove it to you.

I am a life-time member, true enough. But when I see/read a post such as yours I don't see any status that says you are a non-member. A lot of people do personalize their Avatar and include membership status but just as many do not. Nothing in the posting specifically list you, or anyone else, as a non-club member. In fact the only way I now you are a non paid club member...... is because you kind of bring it up a lot. And they certainly is nothing in our "Secret Club Hand shake" that says we should treat anybody special, or different. The advice, stories, or just postings that I do are usually spontaneous. I often read interesting postings and think they are neat and exciting but just don't have the time to reply. Never have I looked to see if they were paid members or not. However, there are perks offered to paid members that non paid members don't get. Membership does have its advantages, as well it should. If you can someday make it great! If not Don't focus on what you can't do, learn more about what you can do!

The trend of things right now is a frantic pace to get ahead of the coming winter. Not a lot of folks have the free time for personal hobbies and endeavors. Fewer and fewer outings results in less opportunities and chat about such events. Most prospectors begin their winter projects about now. These projects are often something they purposefully put off until winter sets in. Something like cleaning cons, or researching land status. Maybe even building new equipment or tools.

Good luck on your next outing, woody.
Caveman
Crusty.... YOU, sir, are a Nutcase. greensmilies-025.gif Welcome home, zoomie! dancing_smiley.gif That invite includes you, ya know.... wink.gif I think the areas just off of Copper Gulch Road - T19S R72W Sections 2,3,10,11,16,17,20 - these have easy to fair access - more difficult: Sections 1,4,15,21. Large area, old mines, lots of closed lode claims on 10,11,16,17,20 - these may have been a developer planning upscale houses, as they were closed a little after the patented moratorium was put place, a lot are under the same name - and in sections 12,14,15 and 21. MikeS, can you check on the minerals in these and help narrow the field a bit? Woody - this may just be in your power zone - lots of rusty rock! I'd bring gloves, water, food, knee pads, a hard hat if you got one, and really good boots. I have spud bars if we wind up needing them. NewRockHounder, you are definitely invited. I need to set up a day - maybe next Saturday, if the weather holds..... emoticon-object-024.gif These areas are not secret by any means, and if they are open, maybe we can add this to the Researched Areas for yearly members - waddaya say, Mr CP?

MikeS, I need to get with you on the other areas in the NF. I'll PM you tomorrow.
MikeS
I did notice that you stopped posting and didn't respond to my PM. I thought you were mad at me for not showing up. I swear I tried man, my brother and I. There is prob still antifreeze on the turn lane for rampart rd. I am going to let you in on a small secret friend. Most of the paying members that I have seen do NOT have a claim(swizz and I are one of the few) and have never had the chance to dig into a pocket of crystals like you have. I staked a claim and filed it before ever becoming a yearly member of the club. I am living proof that you don't have to be a club member to prospect successfully and one day stake a claim if you want to take it to that level. You have to understand that I have been prospecting since I was a young teen in the early 90's and have only decided to take it to the next level this year. I have also lived most of my life paycheck to paycheck and have been working non stop since I was 17. I have never had a credit card or a bank account let alone enough money to put in it. Lately I have been lucky enough to turn a lay-off situation into better paying situation which has barely kept my "mining season" going. I have been going non stop for the past 12 months to get to the point where I could pay the fees for the claim and get a yearly membership. Owning a claim is wonderful but it comes with issues sometimes. For example I just checked the lr2000 system and realized that someone has staked a claim right next to mine. So this weekend instead of digging pockets I will be searching for this claim to make sure it is not crossing into mine and to make sure it's not a "paper filer". Just one of the things with owning a claim. Don't let that pesky depression bug wreck your passion for diggin buddy. When you do become a member you will realize that the closest thing to "pro's" that can help teach you about crystal mining will be me and the CP's. I think most of the members are just as amazed by what I'm getting into as you are. Don't stress about not being a member yet. We will get you there! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
MikeS
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 8 2014, 09:57 PM) *
MikeS, can you check on the minerals in these and help narrow the field a bit?
MikeS, I need to get with you on the other areas in the NF. I'll PM you tomorrow.

I'm on it! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Caveman
Thanks, Mike...

How about you, NewRockHounder? Are you in?
MikeS
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 8 2014, 09:57 PM) *
maybe next Saturday

This coming Saturday I have to do a reconnaissance mission near my claim. Maybe Sunday or following weekend?
Caveman
Sorry, that is what I was talking about... not this coming, but next Saturday. I have to go to Canon to the Clerk and Recorder's Office to make sure that there are no pending or active claims. Man, that short class sure helped! I still get the freeze-ups, but I can at least beat my way through it now.

Edit: Next Saturday is out - we have out of state company coming... This coming Sunday, or Saturday 2 weeks from this Saturday. Let me know...
Crusty
QUOTE (Caveman @ Oct 8 2014, 09:50 PM) *
Sorry, that is what I was talking about... not this coming, but next Saturday. I have to go to Canon to the Clerk and Recorder's Office to make sure that there are no pending or active claims. Man, that short class sure helped! I still get the freeze-ups, but I can at least beat my way through it now.

Edit: Next Saturday is out - we have out of state company coming... This coming Sunday, or Saturday 2 weeks from this Saturday. Let me know...

Sunday's calling for a 60% chance of rain; Monday is a holiday with no rain chance. Any chance you're off MOnday?
swizz
NRH, sorry you're going through some hard times.
I have no idea how old you are but I'm guessing relatively young. Life is a long-term deal and whatever you're going through is a tiny blip on the radar. Woody and I are about the same age (early 50s) and his entire body of advice echos my sentiments. I've survived a LOT of hardships thus far and I'm sure there will be many more. Bottom line: focus on what you CAN do, not what you can't. That advice has gotten me through SO many hard times.
I don't have anything fluffy to say, I'm more like a mean coach. Dust yourself off and get back in that saddle! Be a man. Be proud, humble, kind, and never stop. Patience and perseverance.
russau
NRH I understand! as you are working , you still could buy all the toys you've wanted...............but when health problems or retirement come into play , you better have everything paid for , because your money is really tight now!
Caveman
Guys, I'm going to start a new thread, "Copper Gulch" in the open forum - It looks like Monday will be the day, as the weather seems to be ugly on Sunday, but that can change.... I don't mind a drizzle, but the rains we can get here are dangerous in the Copper Gulch area. Nuthin' like steep slick rock, and a hard rain to make things more interesting than I'd like - particularly when the Gulch is prone to flash flood! smiley-shocked003.gif NewRockHounder - I sent my # on facebook - call me when you get the chance.... Would like to meet up with you.
NewRockHounder
I have my own pan, Fenix, used to be into gold when I lived in NorCal. Have yet to get a sluice box... wanted to for awhile but then learned about CO's gem belt. More money... supposedly, less effort, granted you know what the f*** yer doing. Which I don't.
fenixsmom
EMac and I are hitting up Clear Creek tomorrow if you can make it. You are welcome to join!
NewRockHounder
I would, but as stated in another post, I don't trust my truck for shit. If I can get a ride??, yeah I'd be down, but I'm not going to run my truck into trouble if I can help it. Thanks tho, for the invite, appreciate it.
fenixsmom
My truck isn't in road worthy condition either. Slap the name Hemi on it and the part prices skyrocket. $150 for a fuel injector? I mean COME ON!
polekaat
Hemi injectors are cheap....try buying some for a Cummins.....a rebuilt set is $1500 and a new set is around $4000.....for six ...
After 2 sets of rebuilt ones.....I'm gonna have to get a new set now....doh
fenixsmom
Lol true. Why the hell are you burning through three sets of injectors?
lostnewb
NRH,
Woody seems to have some of the best advice I have ever listened to. He is also always willing to help someone new learn as he did with myself and my family. Heck he even took the time to wait on our slow butt's to get up the hill although I think the little ones kept up fairly well. Point is I would take his advice to heart, pick yourself up and get movin. I think most if not all of us have suffered through the hard times in life. Nice part for you is, you have a bunch of people here willing to listen and help you learn. Looks like you have some great finds already this year which is great for someone just starting out. Heck who knows maybe you will be one of those lucky people to find a 5 pound nugget thumbsupsmileyanim.gif .

Also PM me if your ever looking for a ride somewhere. I work up in denver and am always running back and forth so would be happy to have someone else to talk to while I am cursing the construction at Lincoln and I-25. smiley-shocked003.gif

Catch you later.

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.