Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: As it continues..
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
NewRockHounder
This was the first of yesterdays dig. Amongst others that weren't so hot.. Click to view attachment But overall - Click to view attachment My best one so far. And then.. there's well.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment And quite a few others in the garage from a few weeks ago, some partly cleaned, some not cleaned at all. Not however, mixed with yesterdays findings and/or will be mixed with tomorrows. happy088.gif
NewRockHounder
The sad fact and/or beauty of it is this: Majority of what comes out of the pocket is already fractured to all hell, thus extracting anything.. falls into pieces - since I've been digging there and only there, I get all the pieces, finding it joyful to myself trying to piece them all back together. Seeing pieces from the first couple of digs match up with some of the latest. Craziness. smiley-shocked003.gif
CP
Some interesting ones there for sure, the large one on the left side to center of the group in the last pic looks like a nicely formed microcline with a bit of an iron coating.
Hopefully you'll find some more in the pocket that aren't as fractured too. Maybe moisture and freezing caused the fracturing or if the pocket was just too confined or unstable during formation periods? It is fun to put the pieces back with the originals if you can.
Crusty
Wow! Awesome finds, even if they are jacked up. Would still be a blast to find them... especially in anticipation that you'll hit an undamaged one!
MikeS
Good finds man. A few of those appear to be good gemmy smokies. Those Microcline crystals appear to have a touch of green. Is that a coating? or are they showing some green from the crystals?
Denise
Very cool finds NewRockHounder!! That's a neat piece of Microcline on the bottom left of the last picture. What's the darker spot on the right side of it? Hard to tell from the picture. Sweet Smokey on Microcline to the right of that one also. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

All are all cool pieces! Don't worry, when you find a pocket without broken crystals you will be ready! Still better than being skunked and finding nothing by a far shot. Good job! greensmilies-012.gif
NewRockHounder
Ok... well then... Where to begin... woooo... And here we go - We, my friend and I dug all night Friday. Mostly clearing out my over burden, I laid over the top to conceal. And/or fill in the hole, and/or protect what was showing slightly. After a long night of - drinking, ax throwing, ax sharpening, getting more wood - why is it never enough - (let me be clear... sober enough to know better than to throw axes at each other).. happy088.gif Anywho.. Saturday rolled around, my friend and I dug in, hardcore - he brought out and gave to me... rock chisels, a whole set. Quite nice - Once however, hitting clay.. we slowed down... way down, taking periodic breaks as to stretch the legs... sitting in one spot.. we'll you all you know how that goes... anywho, cleared out another foot and a half of over burden rock.. more or less, above and to the right of the pocket(s).. while my friend slowly went through crystal layer/clay/crystal layer/rock/clay/crystals going every which way... you get the idea.. on the left, long story short we dug ALL day and somewhat into the evening, working both sides and/or completely different pockets.. Sunday rolled on through - packed up the camp and took it to the truck via... (kinda wish I got a pic or two... dammit) a stretcher we constructed out of aspen/bungee cords and a little smart thinking.. in two trips... had a lot of crap.... way more than I'm used to taking.. anywho, loaded up the truck with everything except what we're using... came back to the pocket and started where we left off the night before... again long story short (for now, gotta get to bed) ...... well actually... let me leave off there, good climax and no end in sight... (No Country For Old Men) ((ZING!))

I know I've kinda jumped around but I'm still quite tired/sore (mentally and physically) from staying active (constructing a few things) when not in the hole DIGGING and hauling gear,... I'll have pics of our findings within the next few days... got... um... some... uh... thumbsupsmileyanim.gif samples..
NewRockHounder
This is the first crystal we pulled out - I let my friend have it Click to view attachment 2nd pic is same with better lighting Click to view attachment The rest are some of the better ones and then the whole lot - and a couple pics of myself resting my foot on a pair of rock hammers and my friend (holding the axe) Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Next two is same, different angle - Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Some of these in the next were the 'selfie' shots and a few that are just pieces Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment It truly was a great trip - can't wait for next season!
Crusty
Nice haul! Can empathize with how much it is driving your nuts to want to get back out there and get back in the hole!!
Caveman
That is a great collection you got going out of that pocket. You have an excellent location. Very cool. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
MikeS
In picture #10 of the recent post it looks like you might have another piece of Fluorite. Looks kinda green and like it fractured in straight lines.
NewRockHounder
I'll try and take a better pic of it later... I think tho, it may be water quartz. It looks pretty clear when held up to a light. Doesn't much look like my last piece of flourite I found.
Denise
Nice Quartz finds Colin!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
NewRockHounder
Ok - ID help again... I was taking a closer look at this and it doesn't look like any other Smokey Quartz that I've found, I'll try and take some other pics as well. Click to view attachment
NewRockHounder
Is this Tourmaline?
Caveman
I do not think so, black tourmaline is usually jet black....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.