Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guess what...
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
NewRockHounder
I'm 90% sure this is my first topaz... am I wrong? Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I know these kind of blend into the flashlight itself, couldn't find my normal light that I use... still in camping crap.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
MikeS
Looks like Quartz, but hard to tell. If the back is fractured then that could lend a clue. Quartz fractures like glass (no cleavage) Topaz sometimes fractures more in one direction (some cleavage). Field testing can be a challenge. I have found only two pieces that I thought must be Topaz. After doing a specific gravity test it appears the crystal I thought was Topaz was just funky Quartz, but the alluvial Topaz was in fact Topaz. Color can be an indicator. If it is really as orange as it appears in the photos then the color might suggest Topaz.
NewRockHounder
Whats the gravity test? - other than the obvious..
NewRockHounder
The backside - hard to capture, it's transparent with a slight orange/yellow hue Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
MikeS
QUOTE (NewRockHounder @ Sep 11 2014, 09:13 PM) *
Whats the gravity test? - other than the obvious..

Here is a link for Specific Gravity Test

It sounds like this guy might a easy way to do it.
Quick Test

Specific Gravity of:
Topaz - 3.49
Quartz - 2.65
MikeS
I don't see any cleavage on the fractures. Looks like Quartz.
NewRockHounder
I don't have a digital scale, or any scale for that matter.. seems a bit complicated or maybe I'm just tired from a horrible day at work... or maybe both..
NewRockHounder
I wanted to thank you Mike, for that post. I will refer back to it for sure. (granted I get a scale) - Since I became more.. and by more I mean, any chance I get, active in rock hounding.. this winter is going to be shut up and stock up, on all the required tools - possibly a kit for polishing and crap - but mostly general tools for digging and now a scale for gravity measuring.. that link is most helpful. Really, really, thank you.
MikeS
Your very welcome sir. greensmilies-012.gif
fenixsmom
Its so SHINY!!!!! Scratch test results?
NewRockHounder
Nothing to test with... I'm ill prepared for such tests apparently.
MikeS
I have had a real tough time with scratch tests in the feild when looking for Topaz. They are very close to the same hardness (Quartz 7, Topaz 8) and it is often very difficult to get a conclusive test especially if you don't have an eye loupe . I can be hard to get a scratch at all. The specific gravity test is more conclusive because Topaz is significantly more dense and heavy.
MikeS
I tried the quick test created by John Betts and it seems to be just as accurate and easy. Small samples are hard to do the standard way. Dry weight divided by wet weight(suspended in water). That's it. No measuring volume or multiple math steps. Very cool. This could have saved me time from not trying to scratch test everything for the past several years. smiley-laughing021.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.