Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What works best?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
NewRockHounder
Should I just use super glue? Or an epoxy? Or a specific type of glue? Or what? I honestly have no idea, but majority of the crystals I've pulled from my endless pocket have come out in half or more pieces. Mostly due to the size of the crystals themselves. I'd really like to repair them, if I can do it myself. I'm not looking for professional quality, but enough to hold it together, so pieces don't get lost and I can see them in their full glory (or as full a glory as they can be with visible cracks & small pieces missing)

Keep in note, all of my crystals are smokey quartz, dunno if that helps with options for repair.
720fly
I'm no expert, but I would say just a drop of 5 minute epoxy in the cente and some painter tape to hold it toghter while curing r would most likely do what you want. But remember that a expert would be able to feel that it's been glued together
russau
that would probly work or use the type of adhesive that they use to repair winsheilds. BUT there again, im NOT even close to being a expert!
NewRockHounder
Thanks.

I'll try it on one of the smaller crystal that lost its termination point.

Just for personal collection, not planning to sell them. =) Just don't wanna lose the pieces and more importantly, show it off to family/friends in its entirety.
fenixsmom
I do not recommended gorilla glue ;)
MikeS
I have not had to glue any minerals back together yet... but if I did need to glue some quartz back together I would use the "Glass Glue" by Loctite. It can be found at Walmart and Home Depot. It is designed to make invisible repairs on glass and crystal dishes and such. Strong, clear, dishwasher safe...lol.
NewRockHounder
Thanks Mike. I picked up some today for testing. Don't think I got that one but I'll look when I'm at work tomorrow. The handiness of working at a craft store. =P
Denise
Glass glue sounds like a good idea, especially for the cleaner breaks. For what you are wanting to do, I think just a drop of superglue would do just fine for this application.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.