Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need ID Help
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
NewRockHounder
Click to view attachment It's very clear, hard to get a good shot of it sad.gif
Caveman
Looks like a topaz.... at least to me. I have no experience tho - confused0082[1].gif

Cool find!
MikeS
Looks like a clear quartz. I would have to take a closer look. That area can make some weird quartz shapes. I found one crystal I swore was a Topaz crystal but after doing a "assumed specific gravity test" I realized it was quartz. Topaz is significantly heavier. I used this test to confirm that an alluvial Topaz that I found was in fact Topaz. It might be hard to test a smaller piece like the one in the picture.
NewRockHounder
Well it wasn't the actual one I wanted to post, didn't have it with the collection of "needs to be photo'd" and now its in the sampler pack for my next trip, to show my older brother and my dad.. whom I haven't seen in over thirteen years, anywho, I'll post it when I return from Grand County in about four days or so. Gunna do a little panning if I can =)
Denise
I agree with Mike on this one from what I can see from the picture, and the crystal system /structure would also help to identify...but you probably already knew that since it was the wrong picture. laugh.gif

happy088.gif Would love to see pictures when you get back of the other find. Stay safe and have a great time with your dad and brother.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.