Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recycled Gold due 2 Applied Simple Chemistry
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Treasure Hunting and Metal Detecting
gold_tutor
One can work consistently at this gold recycling gig, or loaf, depending upon your mood.

I'll admit, the "after results" in the attached was WORK, as the customer who brought in these black buttons SWORE there was gold in them--before started experimenting...sure couldn't tell it by lookin'....

He confessed he'd been reading about torching scrap jewellery, so he thought he'd "try it."

What a challenge, as the torch wielding experimenter had rendered the black buttons absolutely and te-totally INSOLUABLE!

It tickles me to reveal my backyard gold scrappers competitors on ebay (where I am seller gold_tutor couldn't solve this problem laugh.gif

The results--as shown--are 99% pure. Not only is the "after 'close up' pix" chemically pure, notice how crumbly it is after sound chemistry solves the problem.

Sound, logical, straightforward chemistry GETS THE GOLD out of burnt-to-a-crisp junk.

The customer would have been far better off, profit-wise, to have shipped all the marked karat scrap "as is" than to have done this, and made it hard work for someone else what would have been a very simple refining job. But, I'm not griping--work is work, and I get a KICK out of finding the gold in burnt-up messes. B)

The only way to get this "brighter appearing" and take out any remaining impurities is to smelt it at very high temperatures, and then subject it to electrowinning, such as the Royal Canadian Mint does the gold they purchase, in order to achieve .9999 (99.99% a.k.a. 4 Nines) purity. I never take it that far, as this .99 or as we call it in the trade "2 Nines" is pure enough for my buyers.

FYI:
there are 4 levels of pure, and chemically pure, aka 2-nines is the lowest level that the trade accepts as wearing the "pure" label. This is as far as I take it, to the "chemically pure" designation.

If any of you have any messes you've been making by playing around with a torch while you're trying to learn, give me a shout. The gold is still there...that is, the gold that is left, didn't get away by volatizing into a vapor at the temps a torch can create ... ph34r.gif
gold_tutor
Here is the 10g of 99% chemically pure pulled the prior week.
CP
Okay,

Been toting these around for over 20 years now. :P
Had the Mrs take this pic to post in here, now how do I recover this gold from these computer pins.
They have never been used, so no solder. :D

There is approximately 10 ounces in the form they are now and I don't want it in an ugly black button. ;)
I'm sure I have the tools to burn it to a black button, but would rather not. :D

Figured someone might have some suggestions.

Just a bit of fun for winter.....right? ;)

CP
gold_tutor
Hi, CP.
First off, you need to sort by color. Some of those are definitely NOT gold, and some are already down to their copper substrate it would appear, which means the gold is gone from them, too.

How about posting a new pix when you complete your sorting?

You'd have to start with the sort if you bought one of my kits with the idea to play with your goldpan full of goodies this winter. OH, and one other thing...grab a magnet and sort into a separate pile (yes, by color) any that a magnet will not attract.

I hate to sound like I am a "discouraging word," here CP, but 10oz beginning material is not a lot of material to get big results, results, yes...big results, no....

Still like me? blink.gif

Tell Denise we're in a blizzard here, and I can't get to the barn to get out the Tutor's Tailings to take the pix she wants, but I'll do it yet this week, Lord willin' and the creek don't rise...then she can have some winter fun, too<grin>

I'm going to put them up on your For Sale forum, plus all 3 of my kits. Will that be okay?
CP
Course I still like ya! :D
Really didn't expect the big payday on this, just thought it may be some fun for winter.
I know it's hard to beleive in this pic but they are all brand new and as gold as the goldest one in the pic, but the overcast skies that day are reflecting off them.
We just tried the magnet over the lot......didn't pick up a one of em'. ;)

Ready for the next instructions oh wise gold_tutor......... laugh.gif

Of course it's all right!
Can't wait to see the tutor tailings and kits up on the for sale forum.

CP
Denise
Sorry :(
My fault.....I took a bad picture of them. :P
But they are all the same color. ( GOLD ) ;)
Denise
I see reserved spots for the Kits in the for sale forum....... Im anxiously awaiting! :D
Im looking forward to seeing the "Tutors Tailings" ;) :D
russau
denise, in the mid 60s, they price of gold started to rise. untill then ,gold was cheap,so they used 24ct gold and layed it on thick. but as the price of gold started to rise, they started using a lower ct of gold and its a lot thinner now. so 20 year old gold pins probly have a maybe 14 ct and thinly plated pins! megan, correct me if im wrong here! megan has a good book and the kits that are pretty easy to follow! she has some good advice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.