Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well.... crap
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
NewRockHounder
So I did some research on smokey quartz in Devil's Head, via youtube, some other tidbits of information about pegmatite, had to look that up, and yet again see some pics... my photographic memory is really coming in handy now... but then again, not really, because I was digging at the base of some pegmatite but had to run because of daily T-storms... kinda kicking myself in the arse. And it was a hell of a hike with all my tools. I also came across an old news bit from the 1930's about topaz in Devil's Head, quite useful information. On a side note, now I'm jonesing even more to get out this weekend, despite the weather!
Caveman
How many tools do you bring? Just a question from an overpacker - I would have a rock hammer, a rake, a classifier, a pick, a #2 shovel, a little shovel, a spud bar, a pry bar, a hand maul, several chisels, etc, etc......... smiley-shocked003.gif This is why I don't go rockhounding. Just ask swizz what I show up with just for a day of recreational prospecting!
NewRockHounder
I bring, a rock hammer, 4 bottles of water for infield rinsing, a camel back bladder for drinking water (half full), a 5lbs sledge, now a pry bar, a shovel.. spade, but cut down to 3 feet for backpacking, a couple brushes, my knife (always), a tarp for t storms, some bungees, if I can afford it, some food usually jack links beef jerky, smokes, lighter, handheld spade, handheld uhh... pokey thing.. cloth to wrap finds (never hurts to be prepared, good attitude, hopefully better finds) uhhh, poncho sometimes, I feel like I'm forgetting something or another.. but yeah, you get the just of it... oh yeah, a 5gal bucket for overburden. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Crusty
I'm right there with y'all... I have an e-tool collasable shovel, so that makes things lighter/more compact. A trowel, rock hammer, 5 pound sledge, a handful of chisels, a couple towels to wrap any goodies I find (and keep all that metal from clanking around, scaring bears, deer, hikers, mountain bikers, etc lol), drinking water.

Being a n00b who keeps as much of my finds as I can, no matter how most exciting they are, I think my heaviest pack I weighed when I got home was 85 pounds, because I had a big rock with some amazonite in it. Carried that pack for 2 hours out of the hills! I need to be more selective before I get too old to carry that stuff out! lol
swizz
QUOTE (Caveman @ Jul 10 2014, 08:45 PM) *
Just ask swizz what I show up with just for a day of recreational prospecting!

slaphead.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.