Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fri, Sat, Majority of Sun CAMPING
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
NewRockHounder
greensmilies-025.gif I drive a white '88 4-runner with a Left Hand Brewing sticker on the back window. I'll be camping somewhere about 2.0 to 2.7 miles west of Devil's Head, gunna try and find some amazonite if I can. I'll be camping probably right off the road (so to speak) in the nearest camping spot closest to the area I want to dig at.. Just hollar before sneaking up on me, you know how it is, don't need a heart attack in the woods... smiley-shocked003.gif
Crusty
if only they'd have included the GPS coordinates ;)
Caveman
What, you mean you can't find it from the descriptions and pictures? Please. smiley-laughing021.gif
NewRockHounder
happy088.gif
NewRockHounder
I also read a couple posts on someone else's site about looking around Topaz Picnic Area... holy hell has that area been prospected. Yikes!
NewRockHounder
And AWAAAAAAYYYYY I GO!!!! Transportation.gif (wish it was all white)
Caveman
Best of Luck!
NewRockHounder
If you couldn't tell, I frequent Devil's Head area, often.. this being said.. My weekend went as follows: I wanted to go approx. 2.0 to 2.9 miles past the actual Devil's Head area, to the west and then the road bows way south towards Woodland Park, anywho.. Little did I know.. (I KNOW NOW!) that Topaz Point Picnic area was more or less 2.5 miles past Devil's Head... I stated earlier that I had read some news articles and whatnot about that area being prospected to all hell... so I didn't even bother looking for a spot to set up camp. About 3.5-5.0 miles from Devil's Head, there is one hell of a quartz.. ehh, honey hole, to say the least, and I think a mine at one time, tho now caved in. I stopped and prospected for a little bit, a lot of gemmy faces but nothing special. I camped on Friday night about another 5.0 miles from that, right off the road and it sucked. Did some prospecting around that area briefly, again, gemmy faces, nothing good really. Saturday, took my sweet arse time loading up my truck again, and moved yet further south, towards where I found my first crystal, but someone of course... was in that area camping.. so I went another oh.. I dunno, 8 miles south, way out of the bubble that is Devil's Head, and camped next to some other people that seemed cool and next to, or rather, in view of some of the crappy radio towers that are out there.

Now, while looking for wood, I came upon some previous prospected holes, that weren't filled in, you bastards! whom ever you are! And was pretty stoked that some areas rich in quartz and what not, seemed otherwise untouched. After meeting the other group of campers, one of the guys from their group showed me another valley... rich, I mean, RICH, in virgin land, running down a creek bed, it was unbelievable... really, but only a few shattered remains of crystals, in the short time that I dug there. I think, had T storms not rolled in, and I followed it up further, I def. could have hit a honey hole.... There's always next time.
Caveman
Glad you had fun! I hope you do hit that honey hole.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.