Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headed to point bar today
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
jhidek
Jen and I are headed out if anyone feels like joining us. I'll be the one limping like I have a leg full of titanium and we will be laughing and goofing off like kids. Should be somewhat close to a parked silver Mercedes. Hope to meet some of you all!

Jeff and Jen
swizz
How did you guys do? Looked like a great day today for it!
jhidek
Totally busted! Maybe I'm just not use to this state and the way the gold is here. Back home in AZ I'd go out and clean up shop in areas the most people said were useless, here I just can't seem to get squat. My wife and I still enjoyed getting out on the river and taking in the outdoors. I'm sitting here thinking the whole drive home that maybe its me, so I panned out some cons from AZ when I got home. Is the gold out here just that much finer than what's in this pan?
swizz
Hi Jeff,
What I see in that pan is very typical of colors found in most Colorado rec locations.
Some locations can have larger Gold but typically most "recreational" designated areas in Colorado yield flour and micron Gold that is #30 mesh and smaller. Those areas are pretty well picked over for the big stuff but occasionally pickers and small nuggets are still found. There is certainly larger gold in Colorado but you have to work for it and the best way for that would be to make a nice discovery and stake a claim.
My claims average #20- #30+ mesh in the pans when I get into a good pocket and occasionally a good nugget and pickers.
It's out there, I wouldn't expect anything much larger than what you're showing in that pan from recreational areas though.
swizz
This Gold came from a CP outing we had on Clear Creek, Jeffco Open Space... which is a rec area.
I think it's all under #30 mesh and pretty typical.
swizz
..... this is a sample from my mine, my Gold is somewhat coarse.
H1 sample 2011 2k by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr
swizz
Woody and his brother have found a few nugs up thar too.
Woody nug 1600 by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr
jhidek
Awesome, thank you so much for the info. I was thinking it was either me, or that the gold was just so fine I missed it. We didnt get anything the week we went up to Clear Creek either, the water was just moving to fast to get anything good. I'll keep going and just chalk it all up to off days and cross my fingers for next time. As soon as I can afford to I plan on picking up a small used clean up sluice or something to help with the fines. Those pics of yours are very motivating, I cant wait to get out and try again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.