Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BRAND NEW YOUNGSTER
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
found me a good one
Hey! My name is Riley! I'm new here and probably posting in the wrong section!!! But! There is a but! I do it with good intention! I'm 16 and live in loveland colorado, and honestly I have no idea where to start! I want to learn to prospect for crystals and gem type things! I already know some about gold. So where do I start? What should I know!? Any thing helps :)
swizz
Hi Riley and welcome to CP! sign0016.gif
Make yourself at home here and search our archives, we have a LOT of information here for you.
I think a good starting point is to learn the basic legal aspects of prospecting. I believe that is most important for sure.
From there.... you can start deciding what you want to target and planning trips! We're here to help.
Denise
smileywaving.gif Hi Riley and welcome to the CP forums! Great advice that Swizz gave you. Lots of information so "dig right in". happy088.gif You will also find pinned topics at the top of each section of the forums that are very helpful. Make yourself at home around the website and forums, post up any questions you may have along the way. Knowledge is power and the more you know the better time you will have once you're ready to get out there!

found me a good one
So how do claims work?! I'm 16 and couldn't buy a claim. Could I get a permit to search on one? Or how does all this work. I was reading at it seems I don't need a permit to go prospect and dig for minerals as long as I don't sell them, witch I won't. But I can't just walk on some land and dig... Right? Sorry for asking probably already asked questions! I'm eager and on a iPhone and there is just too much info to dig threw on suck a small device! Thanks guys!
swizz
You'll need to learn how to research land status first. It's not terribly difficult but you'd have to commit to learning this before doing anything else.
To start you'll want to know if the land you want to prospect is: Public, Private, BLM Managed, NFS Managed, Open Space, Park, State Trust, County, City, or other.... etc.
There is a ton of archived information on our site so it's not necessary to walk you through every step of land status research in this thread. When you have some time (and access to a pc rather than a smartphone) run our Search function. It's all here!
russau
As always, Swizz has the absolute, best, first step in this process. Not as glorious as the actual digging for gold/gems, BUT a necessary first step to avoid getting into trouble and to knowing where you can go and knowing the laws involved with what your doing. if you know the laws invoved, youll be less bothered by some wacoenviromentalist or just some nosy do gooder wanting you to go away!!
swflman1999
QUOTE (found men a good one @ May 25 2014, 09:15 AM) *
Hey! My name is Riley! I'm new here and probably posting in the wrong section!!! But! There is a but! I do it with good intention! I'm 16 and live in loveland colorado, and honestly I have no idea where to start! I want to learn to prospect for crystals and gem type things! I already know some about gold. So where do I start? What should I know!? Any thing helps :)

Hello Riley

My name is dan and I am in the Loveland area and am looking for someone or a group to go out rockhounding together contact me if interested in rockhounding or anythingthat has to do with minerals and gems. My Email is swflman1999@comcast.net

dan

fenixsmom
Welcome to the forum!
Make sure to go to your local blm office and purchase. A topography map for the area you are interested un. You should be able to use a computer at your local library for free. You need to learn how to read said topography map and jot down the township info. Then get real intimate with the LR2000 system on www.blm.gov. it's quite a bit of work, but it will keep your butt out of serious problems.

There is plenty of open public land to rockhound/prospect in. Get to know the laws and practice! If you locate an area you would like to stake a claim, maybe ask a parent to cosign on the contract. Just a thought! Good luck and happy hunting!

Jessie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.