Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wyoming finds
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
triten82
Hello this is my first time posting here and I have some photos of some finds from Wyoming of which I would like to know if anyone here can identify. I think two of the pieces may be sapphire just by lookig at images of rough sapphire on google images. I am really looking to find out what the two small pieces are, the two small pieces were found in Palmer canyon in wyoming. If the pics don't work or are of to poor quality I will have to set up something to try and get better photos. Thanks for any help
hmhoff
Palmer canyon has iolite (blue, often called water sapphire), Kyanite (linguini tab shaped, also pale blue), most in a mica schist. I have not seen the white or clear color in sapphire. I have seen occluded ruby (blood red) thumbnail sized in schist "turtles".

Did you get permission to rockhound up there? The Natrona County Rockhounds club went with Cheyenne Gem and Mineral one year, but they had backhoe'd out the iolite and then the property changed hands and we could no longer get permission. We couldn't get a response even. This is right about where the pavement ends (county line). We would love to go (out of Casper, WY) the next time you travel that way. There's gems in them thar hills!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.