Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official Young Prospector Thread
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
LotteryTicket
Thank you, first off, for making this knowledge accessable to me. I have been stalking these forums for awhile now, moved to CO from NY a few months back only knowing that I love the feeling of finding value in the earth we walk on.
The first sign of my new hobby came when i was hiking near the springs and noticed all the little pieces of (to the newbie) 'gold' all over the ground. Im pretty sure that its what is referred to as fools gold, but anyway -
I am an open book to gem hunting and still in the infant stage, but im pretty sure that this is silver on these rocks I found. It was in a public area and i have seen so much of rovks like these, I am searching for guidance as to what these are.. Below are pics of what i think is silver holding rocks, and a colorado thunder egg.Click to view attachment
LotteryTicket
Click to view attachment
LotteryTicket
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
LotteryTicket
Click to view attachment
Denise
smileywaving.gif Hi LotteryTicket and welcome to Colorado and the CP forums. It's really hard to tell by photos, but the silvery looking spots appear to be Mica. Fools gold is Pyrite. See if it flakes a bit when you pick at it with a fingernail, if it does it's most likely Mica. I hope this helps some.

Denise
Crusty
welcome!

I agree it looks like mica... wish it was so easy to find silver!

Happy hunting!

panner13
Welcome to colorado. I agree looks like mica but the flake check will help you determine metal or mica. Have fun out here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.