Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Colorado Collector's first trip to Devil's Head Mtn
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
evren
Greetings all! I have recently moved to the Denver area from Milwaukee, WI. I have a masters in structural geology, and am an avid hobby collector of both fossils and minerals. Coming from Wisconsin my collection primarily consists of invertebrate fossils, but I have a few minerals so far. Now that I am in Colorado I'm going to try my hand at some mineral collecting. I've already learned from Devil's Head that I need to learn some new techniques for prospecting. Anyway here are my finds from my first CO adventure. As expected it was all quartz.

Entire Haul

Close ups of nicest pieces.

Found this interesting habit of quartz, and not sure what it's called.

I know these aren't spectacular, but for not even knowing where exactly I was going I'm happy I found anything. I'm definitely going to come more prepared next time with shovels. I only took a rock hammer, but was able to move quite a bit of material. If anyone is interested in going out and showing me some sites or techniques I would love to learn about them. Thanks for looking!
Crusty
Welcome!!

Sounds like you've got the skills to find some good stuff... great thing about Colorado is, there is so much good stuff I've stumbled upon as much "good stuff" laying out in the open as I have working my butt off to dig something out myself!

Look forward to seeing the results of your future endevours!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.