Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Devils head moutian
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting and Rockhounding Gatherings or Events > Prospector's Outings and Adventures
Beaujohnklein
Anyone have a mine or an area at devils head moutian i could go mine at next weekend ill leave the area just how me and my friend found it i am only 12 i wont get too many crystals or gems
mikeybrew
QUOTE (Beaujohnklein @ May 2 2014, 11:21 PM) *
Anyone have a mine or an area at devils head moutian i could go mine at next weekend ill leave the area just how me and my friend found it i am only 12 i wont get too many crystals or gems

There are plenty of good areas to dig around Devil's Head, I would be surprised if any of it is claimed these days. If you can find a copy of the Gem Trails of Colorado book, it has a good map showing a couple of the productive areas. When you go out there, you will find lots of evidence of past digging, don't let this discourage you, plenty of good stuff out there still as long as you are willing to work for it. Bring a good shovel, trowel, pick or hammer and chisels, and a pry bar doesn't hurt either once you get down into the granite. I usually get out there a couple times a year and almost always find something. Lots of nice little pockets featuring smokies and microcline feldspar, trending towards amazonite if you are really lucky ( though most there is very pale). But you will likely have to dig and get into the decomposing granite if you want to find fresh pockets. Keep an eye out for signs of pegmatite; quartz and microcline crystals laying about, graphic granite, etc. good luck and have fun, it's beautiful out there and as long as you stay off the dirt bike trail areas you'll be lucky to see another soul out there.
CP
Welcome to the forum Beaujohnklein and hopefully you've gotten some basic research done for the adventures on Devils head mountain.
sign0016.gif

QUOTE (mikeybrew @ May 16 2014, 11:50 PM) *
There are plenty of good areas to dig around Devil's Head, I would be surprised if any of it is claimed these days. If you can find a copy of the Gem Trails of Colorado book, it has a good map showing a couple of the productive areas..............

Sorry but this part you said to this new prospector is just plain wrong! Luckily I've already been corresponding with this young prospector via email explaining the proper research and why it's needed. research.gif
Here in the open forums we certainly do not condone prospecting anywhere without proper research/knowledge of the area one wishes to prospect. Even the book quoted has a disclaimer near it's front cover where the author states, this info is only a guide, you must obtain permissions when needed and know about land status!
There most certainly could be active mining claims there, there is positively some private property intertwined around the area, and if there are existing claims it would be wise to deduce they would more than likely be in a "known producing area" or close proximity geologically.

Remember folks, you are responsible for your activities in the field. happy088.gif
russau
Very good point Dan!
mikeybrew
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ May 17 2014, 01:13 PM) *
Welcome to the forum Beaujohnklein and hopefully you've gotten some basic research done for the adventures on Devils head mountain.
sign0016.gif

Sorry but this part you said to this new prospector is just plain wrong! Luckily I've already been corresponding with this young prospector via email explaining the proper research and why it's needed. research.gif
Here in the open forums we certainly do not condone prospecting anywhere without proper research/knowledge of the area one wishes to prospect. Even the book quoted has a disclaimer near it's front cover where the author states, this info is only a guide, you must obtain permissions when needed and know about land status!
There most certainly could be active mining claims there, there is positively some private property intertwined around the area, and if there are existing claims it would be wise to deduce they would more than likely be in a "known producing area" or close proximity geologically.

Remember folks, you are responsible for your activities in the field. happy088.gif

Certainly didn't intend to provide any erroneous data or encourage mineral trespassing in any way, sincerely apologize for that, my own ignorance to fault I guess, and I should not have generalized in that manner. As you pointed out research always helps and provides definite answers. I will say I have been going out there for years, have hiked around a lot, and have never once seen a claim marker, but that may well have just been luck. I did verify with BLM a few years back that the areas noted as main collecting areas in the gem trails book were still open and not under claim, and at that time was given the impression that little was claimed, but things do change with time. Research of course is always a good thing, and I would never condone anything like mineral trespassing, please don't get that impression. I do believe that there is plenty of area around Devil's Head to explore, unclaimed, it's far from an Antero, but do agree it's always best to know where you're stepping in advance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.