Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lapis Lazuli
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
Denise
Dypheron sent us some Lapis Lazuli from Afghanistan to work, sure is some beautiful stuff! Here is a close up picture of the slab he sent.

Click to view attachment

After taking it to the saw to slab it out more, we were able to get more slabs producing these pieces. First I made this 26x26mm. heart for his wife. Turned out really nice and was set with a gold filled hoop in the center top. Double sided so can be worn either way.

Click to view attachment

Dan (CP) made several great cabochons from some of the slabs. He took some pictures but with them all in one photo. slaphead.gif Don't want to take away from the beauty of each piece so I blotted out the other cabs till they are shown later. tongue.gif laugh.gif This way the sizes can be added to each photo of the piece. Lots of Lapis left yet even so several more will be made and added later. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The first one he did was this stunning large teardrop measuring 49x16 mm. Nice work Dan! Turned out fantastic!!

Click to view attachment

More pictures coming later! You get first choice at these Dypheron, so If you see any you like just let us know. CP_Member.gif
CP
Thank you Denise! wink.gif I do like the tear drop shape but it can be a buggar to finish out. What, I thought all in one picture would be easier. smiley-laughing021.gif
Here are a couple of hexagons which I also like doing but can be trying at times. bash.gif tongue.gif But I think these ones turned out ok.
The larger one is 7/8 inch and the smaller is 1/2 inch.....I know inches instead of mm but it was drafting template. confused0082[1].gif biggrin.gif

Pictures are such a tough thing with these because of the contrasting white calcite on dark blue lazurite with some pyrite flakes tossed into the mix. The colors seem much "brighter" when in hand and the pyrite shows both gold or silver depending on the lighting source. Fun stuff! happy088.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Denise
Here are the last two pictures of the cabochons Dan made so far. This first one is an oval measuring approx. 24x10mm.

Click to view attachment

This second one is a freeform triangle measuring approx. 22x19mm.

Click to view attachment

More Lapis Lazuli creations coming soon.... eating-popcorn-03.gif
swizz
Beautiful! worthy.gif worthy.gif
Denise
Brandon scored!! Would love to see what you end up doing with all those Lapis Lazuli cabochons. eating-popcorn-03.gif
swizz
I want to add this piece to your thread and MANY thanks to you Brandon for thinking of me in the sandbox when you saw this. It bears a striking resemblance to the profile of my late dog Lulu, and I think of her every time I glance at it. Absolutely beautiful, it's bigger than the back of my hand.
Lapis by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.