Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lunar Eclipses
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Space and Astronomy
Denise
For those of you who like to watch the night skies, there is a Tetrad of lunar eclipse coming starting April 15th. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
You can read more details about them at this link.....

A Tetrad of Lunar Eclipses

Keep watching those night skies!!

happy070.gif
Woody
Interesting link, Hopefully we will be able to view the event.
Denise
Sideways snowstorm hit us really hard last night but the skies are suppose to be clear tonight.
I would really like to see this one so hopefully the skies behave tonight.
Caveman
The weatherman says that they will, so we shall see!
Denise
signs021.gif It was perfect! I hope everyone else got a good view last night. happy.gif
Woody
I was able to watch the entire event.

I had some traveling to do so I planned my trip so that I would be driving from about 11:30 PM till about 3 AM. I took lots of pictures but they are kind
of blurry. It was great viewing. not a cloud in the sky, Woody.
Denise
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Very cool Woody! Tim and I watched it together, he was more excited than his birthday. Times together with your son.....priceless!!
One article worded it really good. Seeing the red color of the moon was like watching all the sunrises and sunsets all over the world at one time. Even saw Mars with it and saw Spica turn blue in the eclipse!!!
wub.gif

Don't you just love this big blue ball we live on. happy.gif

Next one will be in October.....not long before the Orionid meteor showers. That would be cool to see together!
Denise
Quote from SpaceWeather.com
Why red? A quick trip to the Moon provides the answer: Imagine yourself standing on a dusty lunar plain looking up at the sky. Overhead hangs Earth, nightside down, completely hiding the sun behind it. The eclipse is underway.

You might expect Earth seen in this way to be utterly dark, but it's not. The rim of the planet is on fire! As you scan your eye around Earth's circumference, you're seeing every sunrise and every sunset in the world, all of them, all at once. This incredible light beams into the heart of Earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the Moon into a great red orb.
Woody
So here is my best pic of the eclipse. It went from being a brilliant bright bulb in the sky to a soft glowing light. The original Mood-lighting.
Skygazer
Cool picture Woody! Another lunar eclipse is going to happen on the 8th of October, so keep your eyes open.
Crusty
and the one on the 8th peaks at about 0500, so you don't have to get up in the middle of the night to see the best part!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.