Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using rough stone
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Exploring Our Universe > Living Off The Lands
Caveman
We have been having trouble with some of the delivery companies finding our cabin out here (directly across from Mitchell Mountain, on Mitchell mountain Rd, and the ONLY buildings with copper colored roofs in the entire subdivision....) so we had a chunk of granite from Telluride Stone in Denver cut for an address marker, then used stone from the property to "dress it up". What uses do you find for rough stone?
Caveman
Having trouble uploading pics - the way I did it before is not working - they will be coming......
Caveman
Managed to get them to load now....
fenixsmom
I like!
russau
That looks fantastic! very artistic!
Caveman
Thanks, guys!

More things we used stone from the property for:

CP
Very nice Caveman, I really like stone fireplaces and chimneys, looks like it should last for years to come. signs021.gif

Caveman
They have been here since 2005 - The guy who did the work was a true artist, but doesn't work for himself anymore.
swizz
That is super cool Scott! You have a really nice place.
Denise
Fantastic cabin Scott!! wub.gif I love it, great place to enjoy life and all it's beauty! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Great use of the rocks at your place! I also really like the horses on your marker sign!!

Careful.......someone might call you fancy!
giggle.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Caveman
Thanks, guys - and fancy is as fancy does! laurel_and_hardy.gif
swizz
A little chinking on that exterior wouldn't hurt. Corner lacing joints in particular. Stay away from silicone for anything on those logs!
When you make it up to the claims I'll teach you how to seal tight logs like that and recommend some good products and suppliers. I think you'd do well at it if you wanna give it a go in the future. I'd do it for sure but you're too far away.
Caveman
Thanks - I was going to go with "Logjam" chinking this summer.
swizz
Hold off on that product... it's designed for applications where the average joint width is 1" wide or wider. It doesn't perform well on narrow joints. It performs extrememly well for joints where the average width is greater than 1".
From what I see in that pic your joint widths will average narrower than 1". Consider Sashco Conceal for that application or Permachink Energy Seal which will give you far better performance in that situation and a wider variety of colors to choose from. Both are great products and not too difficult for your application.... you could even do it in tubes.
Caveman
Got lots of places where it is 1"plus, and lots 1"minus. Some new air leaks too - living here this winter changed some things.... Is ther a product that will perform well under both conditions?
fenixsmom
Moss and seal blubber crammed (hammer and chisel) into the cracks? Works for the alaskians!
Caveman
True, but not so much here - no seals! caveman.gif
fenixsmom
Lol anyway you could have called me out would reveal I cant back that up.....

Fine, fine.... Bacon fat!
swizz
QUOTE (Caveman @ Mar 26 2014, 05:39 PM) *
Got lots of places where it is 1"plus, and lots 1"minus.

You are going to have to determine an "average" width to determine which product to use.

Each of these joint situations may require a different product. Your brain will have to determine the averages. Fill in the blanks.

Average width of typical horizontal log joints:
Average gap width where soffit connects to log terminations (including gables):
Average width of log lacing corner joints:
Purlin penetration gaps (support/structural logs which penetrate the structure):
swizz
.... you don't have to mathematically figure out the averages, doesn't have to be precise. There will always be radical +/- variations in each case, those are treatable. Just a rough estimate of those locations by eyeballing the gaps all around. One or two laps studying the gaps and your brain will know.
Caveman
I got it..... It's just going to take some time to get it done....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.