Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Australia's Gold
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Treasure Hunting and Metal Detecting
Pages: 1, 2
Denise
I wanted to thank our good friend's Trevor (TWA) and his wife Hazel
in Western Australia. They are great folks. He sent me a picture of some of the gold
he has found detecting. I think he said Hazel once found a 32 ounce nugget!!!
:o WOW...Pretty nice!
I'll ask if I can post her pic with it on a table. It's very cool. blink.gif

His friend Matt Duncan in Australia also has a great website, check it out.
http://www.goldnuggetexchange.com/index.html

Like I said "Australia has great gold, and great people!
gold_tutor
That gets the blood pumpin', Trevor/Hazel, Mrs CP. THANKS

FWIW, I think EVERYONE should buy an Australian quartz/gold specimen for a conversation piece.

Not only does it spend some Yankee bucks with our good friends down under, BUT...
it sure does thaw out a room of stuffy miners when I whip out a piece of Aussie high purity gold and tell 'em where it came from.

Good way to make new friends...buy an Aussie specimen, right, Trevor/Hazel?
Denise
Here is Hazel with her 32 ounce nugget. blink.gif huh.gif
Now thats one lucky woman!!
B) Very cool Hazel....Thanks for sharing!
TWA
QUOTE (gold_tutor @ Dec 11 2003, 10:01 AM)
That gets the blood pumpin', Trevor/Hazel, Mrs CP.  THANKS

FWIW, I think EVERYONE should buy an Australian quartz/gold specimen for a conversation piece. 

Not only does it spend some Yankee bucks with our good friends down under, BUT...
it sure does thaw out a room of stuffy miners when I whip out a piece of Aussie high purity gold and tell 'em where it came from.

Good way to make new friends...buy an Aussie specimen, right, Trevor/Hazel?

Thanks, its great to show other people photos of the gold that we find as it may encourage others to take up the hobby of looking for gold. And yes you are right it make a great talking point, even to those who never go fossicking for gold.

It is even nicer when you can share these moments with people from across the globe.

I would like to thank Dan and Denise for placing these pics in so other people may enjoy looking at them also.
Cheers,

Trevor & Hazel
gold_tutor
No mystery why Hazel is grinning so big. Me? I'd settle for that wee one 2 in from the left laugh.gif

YOU GO, Girl!!! What did you use, and how deep down was it, and how did you get it so clean and sparkly. DETAILS you two, DEEEETAILS!!!!! :D

I pulled 6 grams this week from one batch...that's in addition to the 10 grams the week before from another batch-- And I'm just loafin'. You've inspired me to put my pix up on another thread, since it wasn't from using an MD like you did, and I so admire.

I did take delivery of a Tesoro Treasure Mate vibra probe this week and am putting it through its paces for the distributor. Nice looking, good heft gizmo. I'll keep you all posted.

True confession time: I had to purchase the Aussie specimen below, feel darn fortunate to have it, don't have the heart to break open the quartz to see the rest of it...nice and hefty, so I KNOW there's more in there...but some of life just has to be a mystery, aye, mateys? :)
ME CO
Aussies have all the luck. Megan my prize from the Cabin Fever contest is mostly quartz but only like 1/2 gram. will try to get pic later, Mark
At long last- here is my pic. Mark
TWA
QUOTE (gold_tutor @ Dec 13 2003, 01:30 PM)
No mystery why Hazel is grinning so big.  Me?  I'd settle for that wee one 2 in from the left  laugh.gif

YOU GO, Girl!!!  What did you use, and how deep down was it, and how did you get it so clean and sparkly.  DETAILS you two, DEEEETAILS!!!!!  :D

I pulled 6 grams this week from one batch...that's in addition to the 10 grams the week before from another batch-- And I'm just loafin'.  You've inspired me to put my pix up on another thread, since it wasn't from using an MD like you did, and I so admire.

I did take delivery of a Tesoro Treasure Mate vibra probe this week and am putting it through its paces for the distributor.  Nice looking, good heft gizmo.  I'll keep you all posted. 

True confession time: I had to purchase the Aussie specimen below, feel darn fortunate to have it, don't have the heart to break open the quartz to see the rest of it...nice and hefty, so I KNOW there's more in there...but some of life just has to be a mystery, aye, mateys? :)

Well Gold Tudor here is some answers to your questions:

Firstly, Hazel was using a Minelab GT 16000 with a Coil that was made by Bob Hollins, who is another keen detectorist.

The depth that Hazel found this at was only 4".

The display on the table was only cleaned with warm soap and water.

And she found 48 ounces in just over half an hour.

These were found adjacent to the Mt Catherine area know as Yerrilla approximately 70 Klm south east of Kookine in Western Australia.

Hope this answers most of your questions.

Trevor & Hazel.
gold_tutor
THANKS! Of all your answers the one I think I love the best is the "warm soap and water."

How my grandmother would love to hear that her best remedy is still alive and well!

Long live soap and warm water...the eternal cure for dirty gold :)

Now about that 48oz...gee whillikers...what a haul!!!
At $410 gold, that's about $20,000 US or Au$27,000 payday in just intrinsic value alone. Then there is that juicy nuggety premium.

Have you been back since, or is this not an easy place to access? How tough it must have been to leave with those 48 oz and go home?

L@@K:
PS...I noticed with amusement that Gold Prospectors of America are using an AUSSIE gold nugget in their color exhibitor packet right smack dab in the middle of the page we're supposed to fill out and return, reserving a spot in the next show.

Now either GPAA is contemplating a name change, or someone made a mistake. laugh.gif

How inspirational is dangling a 10 oz honking gold/quartz nugget from down under supposed to inspire the fevered masses here, stateside?

We all know you guys/gals have a special deal going with the deities when it comes to finding easter egg and bigger size prizes in your fair land...<sigh>

Again, my hearty congratulations to your wife, and thanks for sharing. Please keep coming back with more pictures...I personally don't care if it is another picture of the same one rolled over, propped up, or just resting sideways. It/they is/are simply beautiful! :D
Denise
Here you go. blink.gif
Another pic from Trevor.
The same nugget, just a little closer. ;)
ME CO
Here's another shot of my specimen in large vile. Next will try one of the dry ones but not near as pretty in person that way- gold isn't big enough like Megans just lil bits all over it. Mark
Gat-Wa.
WOW! Thats some very nice looking gold you all got there.Hazel woooohooo thats a nice piece adopt me please. hehehe I promise to be a good boy and cause little trouble grin.Hay Mark nice prize congrats,Megan I got to say im partial to teluride pieces, absolutely lovely.
Gat.
Redpaw
I thought that when a piece of gold got that big, they were called "Door Stops"? as I would have a hard time calling them anything else.

The word Nugget just seems so out of place with a chunk like that, I seem to remember an old story of a Door Stop that was made of gold...

Nice Find and Pictures,

Redpaw
Denise
It does feel weard calling it a nugget.
"Door Stop"........that works! :P
Here is another one Trevor calls the "Gremlin" It weighs 50 grams.
Denise
Here is Trevor's Scorpion.....3.5 ounces
DBinCo
Now that's the most BEAUTIFUL scorpion I ever did see !!! rolleyes.gif :D :o
Denise
huh.gif Have you sold the "finch" yet TWA?? Prettiest little yellow bird I've ever seen. ;)
TWA
G-day,

I still have the little bird and is still as pretty as ever lol. rolleyes.gif

Come July I hope to have a mate for it.

Rest assured I will post any big finds on our return.

TWA :D :) :P
TWA
rolleyes.gif Here is some more aussie gold made into jewlery.

TWA. ;) :D
TWA
Oops Try again. :o
Denise
Can I get one of their eggs?? ^_^ laugh.gif
:) Beautiful necklaces and earrings TWA!
Doug-Iowa
When someone decides to take a trip to Aust. Let me know and save room in a suitcase for me. laugh.gif Now that is some great looking gold. I am in awe.

Doug-Iowa
Denise
TWA should be back from his trip metal detecting soon. I cant wait to see what him and Hazel found.
He said he will post pics when he gets back. :D
TWA
Hi everyone,yes Im back with a vengence but unfortunately I was unable to add a mate to the Finch. :(

But we did have a great time and enough gold was found to pay for fuel.

I have already posted this pic but have included it here to add to Australia's Gold.

The pic shows 53 pieces for 63 grams.
cornwall84
This is another great thread ,i think that Trevor and Hazel are out on a trip at the moment and look forward to hearing about it.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
russau
TWA your first picture gives a new meaning to"hows it hanging?" your golds looking good!
Denise
Trevor (TWA) does have a nose for gold! cool.gif
Denise
I would love to see more stuff you have been working on Trevor.

BTW......If any of that gold is too small for working, you can always send it this way.....hehehe
happy.gif
cornwall84
Come on trevor show us what youve found or better still come on hazel show us what you got, you do better than trvor anyway. laugh.gif laugh.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Denise
Hes being too quiet Cornwall. unsure.gif
Think he hit the mother load, and is keeping it from us?
Maybe Hazel did and hes keeping here from posting.
laugh.gif

That sounds more like it...hehe
cornwall84
Hi denise, you are probably right hazel does really well ,trevor didnt post any pics of the last trip, it must have been all Hazels gold again.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
TWA
Hi all I thought it was about time to place another post so to start with I thought perhaps 2 more pics showing the Finch against a black background as this seems to enhance the color more so.

Time to edit as I forgot to include the weight, this being 418 grams.
TWA
And again this time showing the reverse side.
TWA
Oh heck why not post some more just for the hell of it. At least it should get your blood pumping and give you some incentive to get out there and look for some and not that rubble that some go looking for. Hee Hee sorry Dan and Denise only joking. tongue.gif

This one being 98 grams.
TWA
Gee I hate doing this to you all but this one is a picture of a gold bar and this was obtained from crushing a 2 Kilo specie that returned a gold bar weighing 388 grams.

The purity from this gold is in the vicinity of about 98% pure without processing.
TWA
Have you got the urge yet, Oh well I will just keep posting. ohmy.gif

This one is a 38 grammer, I am just doing this to you all to get my blood pumping as well, as it is still four weeks away before Hazel and I set off again for our annual trip prospecting.

biggrin.gif
TWA
This next piece is a 30 grammer, when you pick up one of these it covers fuel costs for the trip the rest become money for jam. rolleyes.gif
TWA
This next piece is a nice little chunky 15 grammer and they all add up so I dont throw these back. laugh.gif
TWA
As you can see I have far too much time on my hands LOL laugh.gif

This little nugget weighs 23 grams. cool.gif
TWA
This is just too much for one day, I bet your just about ready to dust of that detector or dredge and head on out to find some of this yellow stuff, or rubble if thats your bent grin. unsure.gif

This next piece is a nice little 14 grammer. wink.gif
TWA
This little one is a nice little eight grammer which I had thoughts of placing on a tie bar due to its unusual shape. unsure.gif
TWA
This little eight grammer actually looks bigger than it weighs but as they say any gold is good gold. laugh.gif
TWA
Here we have a nice little 22 grammer, whats that I hear keep them comming? Ok then. wink.gif
TWA
Time for a few pieces of fly sh#t as these little begger are only 3 7 9 and 10 grams. ohmy.gif
TWA
I dont think I have placed an eighteen grammer yet so here goes.

TWA ph34r.gif
TWA
Ok the last one was an eighteen grammer lets go for half that and try a nine grammer instead. biggrin.gif

TWA ph34r.gif
TWA
Ok lets make this the last one until next time, lets try for a 27 grammer, so I hope you all have enjoyed looking at some more Aussie Gold and may all your finds be gold.

Cheers,
TWA ph34r.gif
TWA
Hey Jpolk, here are a few species in matrix you asked about, not very good pics though,
Cheers,
TWA ph34r.gif
CP
SHOW OFF!!!!! tongue.gif
Nice pics Trev thanks for sharing.

Looks alot like Colorado gold! ohmy.gif
I keep telling Trev that all the Colorado gold sunk to far and he should send it back! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Sweet finds, hope you and Hazel find buckets full this year! cool.gif

CP
jim
Thanks for the pics Trev. I really did'nt expect to hear from you knowing your in the field playing. Now if I could talk you into sending me one of the uglier ones that I could try cabbing I'd be a happy clam.
Jim rolleyes.gif
TWA
Ok Here we go once again, I have just finished chatting with Denise and said I would place a pic of the gold that was found on our trip for 2007. cool.gif

I hope to add some pics along with a trip report latter. sad.gif

We never made our fortune but we did cover fuel cost with some left over.

Latter when I have cleaned these nuggets up with a bit of Hydrofluric acid I will post some individual pic's of the nuggets. biggrin.gif

This wont be for a couple of weeks yet, as our local doctor wants to see gold nuggets that haven't been cleaned, as he can't believe you can just dig up nuggets out of the ground and it looks like gold. ( Have I got news for him. laugh.gif

Cheers for now until the next Post. TWA ph34r.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.