Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dig sites
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Bones
Ok, first off let me say that I have no experience digging for gemstones but I have the ambition. I understand doing the research first...ive been to the blm site and been on the lr2000 and am getting around it through trial and error. I live in Michigan so at the moment I have no way to physically look for areas that show any promise. My question is this...how do you personally go about finding areas you want to dig? Do you go out on foot and explore? maybe take notes of coordinates and do the research or do you have other ways? I'd like to hear how you do it...please remember that I have no experience so go easy on me!
Thanks!
fenixsmom
You can try Google earth to look at the area but as for looking for boundaries I think you'll have to make a trip down here.
dbx
" I understand doing the research first... I live in Michigan at the moment ..."
:
Not sure if you imply looking in Colorado, or Michigan.
I'm teaching myself a bit of Geology, and this link is
for the colorful-yet-confusing maps.
http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/maps/MapView/
swizz
QUOTE (Bones @ Mar 17 2014, 03:54 PM) *
I live in Michigan so at the moment I have no way to physically look for areas that show any promise.

Bones,
Welcome to CP! sign0016.gif
I have to somewhat disagree with your statement above. I'm a Yooper that lives in Colorado now. Not sure what part of Michigan you're in but I always did well finding Agates as a kid on the shores of Lake Superior.... very fond memories of that. You can also find fair amounts of beach Gold on the shores of Lake Superior and Lake Michigan if you can dial in on the black sand layers.
Bones
Thank you for the responses and sorry for the delay getting back to you all. I do live in MI and I am certain there are areas...what I im asking about is Colorado. What I am trying to do is get a plan together before coming out as I will only have 2 weeks to be there. What i was and am trying to ask is how would someone like me find an open unclaimed area to prospect? I guess my q was answered as being there is half the battle...Its hard to find an open area from your computer lol The BLM is only so helpful so I guess the county records will pinpoint locations of existing claims and I can go from there....would just be nice to have an area when I get there...Ill be in Salida around the middle or end of June and will be prospecting on the Sawatch range, most likely Mt. Antero and Mt. White and possibly some others that are close to those... Any pointers would be welcomed and appreciated :)
Denise
Hi Bones and welcome to the CP forums and club. There is some great information on researching in the protected section of the forums for club members. Use the monthly password sent to you for access. That info will help you out a lot! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Some counties you can do research online. Check it out! Let me know if you aren't getting your e-mail notifications. You were sent a welcome e-mail after signing up with the password and direct links......and also a winning notification of the seasonal drawing.
happy088.gif biggrin.gif

swizz
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Mar 26 2014, 07:00 AM) *
......and also a winning notification of the seasonal drawing.
happy088.gif biggrin.gif

hmmmm, I thought I read that someone from MI won that drawing... Bones, dat you? Lucky bugger iffn it is!
Bones
Wow! I guess I did win! How cool is that??? thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Thanks for the info and yes I do get my notifications but only check my emails every few days or so...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.