Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: south platte panning
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
panner13
hi folks, new guy here. really like what your site offers so far. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was ok to pan on the south platte from mineral blvd. to evans along highway 85/sante fe? Any info would be great. I was hoping to maybe sluice and bring cons home to process.
panner13
i know dredging and any other form of mechanical prospecting is a big no but i just want to know if i can sluice and pan. maybe dig a little as long as i fill the holes in again. does anyone know? how about clear creek at I-70?
fenixsmom
QUOTE (panner13 @ Mar 6 2014, 11:45 PM) *
i know dredging and any other form of mechanical prospecting is a big no but i just want to know if i can sluice and pan. maybe dig a little as long as i fill the holes in again. does anyone know? how about clear creek at I-70?

I play down at I70 and youngsfield. I personally haven't had a whole lot of luck yet, but others have. Maybe I'll see you down there!
Caveman
Go to this forum:

"Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work"

It is the first pinned subject. Although old and in need of an update, it is fairly accurate. Check with the local business along the creek to see if they still allow parking and/or access. My favorite place was Tymovich Meats, as they allow both - with permission. Call to check on their business hours. Do not go under or past the 70th street bridge (downstream) - you will have to follow some stricter regs that I do not have current info on. The gold there is fine, but consistent, but you will have to scout around with a pan to find it - as soon as you find a spot with decent color - start sluicing. It is a great place to test your equipment and processes, and access is fair to good.
CP
QUOTE (Caveman @ Mar 7 2014, 03:53 PM) *
Go to this forum:

"Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work"

It is the first pinned subject. Although old and in need of an update, it is fairly accurate.

Fairly accurate? Needs an update? Could you elaborate please?
Something I wrote in that thread is not accurate?
panner13
thank you, i read a good amount of the threads i scrolld through and the first one of course. i was not sure if that was just a list of free places or all the free places. but i read it could not hurt to ask. also, where exactly is tunnel 1 on clear creek? and describe above please, west or east is above. I also assume that means no panning on the platte?
panner13
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Mar 7 2014, 12:55 AM) *
I play down at I70 and youngsfield. I personally haven't had a whole lot of luck yet, but others have. Maybe I'll see you down there!
that would be cool. I have yet to go on a group trip somewhere. the adventure would be fun.
Caveman
QUOTE (ColoradoProspector @ Mar 7 2014, 04:23 PM) *
Fairly accurate? Needs an update? Could you elaborate please?
Something I wrote in that thread is not accurate?

As far as the free areas - some city lines have changed (around Arapaho Bar), and new regs in some of the cities. Wheat Ridge, from what I've heard, now allows panning with a permit in some areas - I have heard that Adams County has some new regs (I have to look into these), etc. There are also some business that no longer allow parking in their lots, and there is a parking area at Gold Strike Park that wasn't mentioned in the list the last time I looked at it a while ago. I need to check and see if there are new regs in Arvada, too. Golden also has new rules favoring other recreational users over prospectors (I recommend that you take a fishing pole with you and put a line in front of your sluice to keep the kayaks out of it....). Check the rules in Golden at Gold-N-Detectors - they stay updated on the city regs there.
CP
Thanks Caveman, gotcha'......We do not include any city parks or open space east (downstream) of Jefferson county's open space for the "Free Panning and Sluicing areas" intentionally. That's from Golden's western city limit and on downstream. I know alot of folks like to use the parks along Clear creek as well as the South Platte but those are not what we view here as the typical areas we should list for folks to go prospect. Those metro area parks have absolutely nothing to do with anyones "right to prospect" in the field which is what we educate about here. smiley-cool14.gif

City parks sometimes do allow these activities and sometimes they do not. Same with county's and their owned parks....some do some don't. Then when someone misuses something as simple as a private parking lot, things are changed.

You're correct though we do need to update that free panning and sluicing areas thread to clarify this......I'll get on that today. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

As far as those city parks go, there is also a warning that folks should see as well.....
BUYER BEWARE! ILLEGAL REC GUIDE SERVICES

Have fun out there folks, know where you stand and you'll be successful!! emoticon-misc-004.gif
Caveman
Buyer Beware - very true, CP! And, sorry -sometimes I fail to be clear, and can also be a little rough - no disrespect meant. What you do here is better than what anyone else provides, and far more accurate. Plus, you never advocate breaking the law, as some others do in the name of standing up for your rights. You always tell people to check up on what is current for the area, not only for the year, but for the day as well. This is what we all should do, every time we go out, wherever we go. Rules change frequently, especially from Golden on downstream. I can't wait to see what happens in Boulder now, after the floods. Changes are coming!
panner13
thank you guys for the information. who would i check with to see what the regs are to pan and sluice downstream of golden? i want to do all this the right way. i just started exploring the idea of panning and you seem to be very knowledgable. as soon as i can afford it i would like to join the club. i do like how you guys advocate not breaking the law. quality forum in my book.
fenixsmom
QUOTE (panner13 @ Mar 8 2014, 11:00 AM) *
thank you guys for the information. who would i check with to see what the regs are to pan and sluice downstream of golden? i want to do all this the right way. i just started exploring the idea of panning and you seem to be very knowledgable. as soon as i can afford it i would like to join the club. i do like how you guys advocate not breaking the law. quality forum in my book.

There is an area called Arapaho Bar underneath the hwy 58/ I-70 flyover. Take 44th yo Youngsfield and hang a right you'll see the bridge a half mile up the road take a right and go under. There is a two way turn and take another right. Go to the end and park. Walk down the trail and you'll see brown pylons/poles with "gold panning area". There is a quarter mile stretch of river to sluice and pan in.
CP
Thanks for the compliments Caveman! CP_Member.gif No worries buddy, no disrespect taken here either, just wanted to clarify. happy088.gif

Hi panner13 you're very welcome, and thank you kindly for the compliments as well as considering the Colorado Prospector club as one of your choice to possibly join! We'd all be honored to have your future participation. signs021.gif

To check on any parks rules you'll simply need to contact that city or county's parks and open space dept. There you should easily be able to check any parks rules on allowed or not allowed activities for any particular park.

Have a great day out there! biggrin.gif
Caveman
Also, if you are going to do anything in the city of Golden, after you check with the Parks and Open Space, stop by Gold-N-Detectors for the latest info (these guys will help keep you out of trouble) - sometimes the officials forget to tell you everything, especially anything new - it's not intentional, but they aren't always on the ball, so to speak.
goldchef
Ill be going to youngsfeild service rd {inbetween exit 264 and 265} on Sunday 4/9 have a small group but more are always welcome. Was there for a spot check on Thursday. They have all kinds of new signs up there now showing the boundary's that they wish for you to stay in. emoticon-misc-004.gif
panner13
goldchef ... I wish I could make it tommorow. that would be awesome. unfortunately no but may I take a raincheck? fennixmom, thank you as well. caveman and copro, thank you very informative advice on proceeding. I hope I may get to eventually pan with you all some time. I have allot to learn.
fenixsmom
Hey we all have to start somewhere! I'm still as green as my pan!
russau
if you keep hanging around with this group youll be a pro in no time! really a good group of nice people as you already know!
panner13
green is not the word for it. but the bug has bitten another victim. gold fever has set in.
swizz
Hi panner and welcome to CP! sign0016.gif
Sorry to hear that you got the fever, it happens.
I'm not sure if you're a member here at the club level or not but we'll probably do a quick CP Club one-day get together in Clear Creek Canyon again this spring when conditions are right. Gonna do it as soon as the river is right, just before runoff. That might be a good chance for you to meet up with some of us and learn new things, see different equipment, etc. If Caveman's there you can even be a hand on his trommel! Hopefully in the next month or two... dependent on Mother Nature but I'll have to check what dates we did it last year.
panner13
thanks swizz. not a member yet. but that does sound like fun. I got the fever lol what can you do but search for gold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.