Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is the green bands in this rock
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
400ltz
The rock looks like granite with a green mineral band in it. I found it today in a old dry creek bed about 2 miles from the mountains. I was out four wheeling in the bed and also looking for rocks and this one stood out like a sore thumb so I stopped and picked it up. The granite part scratches with a stainless steel pocket knife, the green part seem too not scratch. The granite parts scratches easily with quartz, the green part I have to really press down to get it to scratch. The green band is a dull olive green color and opaque. I am wondering if anybody knows what mineral the green band is.
swizz
Hi 400ltz,
Judging by your pics that looks like Unakite which is a moderately common gemstone in Colorado.
Unakite consists of Pink Feldspar, Quartz, and Green Epidote.
Denise
Looks like Epidote to me also but hard to tell from just a photo.
400ltz
QUOTE (swizz @ Feb 23 2014, 06:44 AM) *
Hi 400ltz,
Judging by your pics that looks like Unakite which is a moderately common gemstone in Colorado.
Unakite consists of Pink Feldspar, Quartz, and Green Epidote.

I went and looked at some pictures on the internet and it looks just like Unakite. The pictures I looked at were more green than pink from the rock I have, it is more pink than green. I can hardly wait to get a new rock saw blade so I can start slicing up the rocks I have found. Thank You for the help, I was really curious what it was.
swizz
The amounts of green, pink, and quartz vary a lot.
Here are a few specimens from one of my claims.
Denise
We would love to see what you do with them after you slice them up! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Nice ones Chris, great color!
Phil(NM)
I second the guess of epidote.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.