Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: B L M map
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
dbx
To get started, hopefully rock hounding to start, just to be clear, pretty much any light green area on BLM map is a safe place to start. Then, check LR2000 - best effort checking for current claims. Then map out a spot and go. Any other advice ?
fenixsmom
QUOTE (dbx @ Feb 7 2014, 04:51 PM) *
To get started, hopefully rock hounding to start, just to be clear, pretty much any light green area on BLM map is a safe place to start. Then, check LR2000 - best effort checking for current claims. Then map out a spot and go. Any other advice ?

Light green and yellow I'm for sure are good to go area. The dark green is a wilderness area and I don't think you can prospect in there. I've read conflicting info. Blue state land I have no idea about.
fenixsmom
Unless they are designed to be used for special purpose or are improved sites. Those are no go.
MikeS
Bring some binoculars if you have them, and watch out for mine claim markers. Have fun!
dbx
QUOTE (MikeS @ Feb 7 2014, 07:24 PM) *
Bring some binoculars if you have them, and watch out for mine claim markers. Have fun!

No doubt. In all my 'wanderings' , I've yet to come across markers, as outlined in pg9 of MiningClaims pdf ( or 3832 section ). And the other pdf is quite handy - Mine pkt 2014. I think it's odd the state owns this chunk of land .
MikeS
I have not seen any markers in the area where I have been finding stuff either. I need one of those maps though. Looking to stake a claim this year.
russau
QUOTE (dbx @ Feb 7 2014, 08:28 PM) *
No doubt. In all my 'wanderings' , I've yet to come across markers, as outlined in pg9 of MiningClaims pdf ( or 3832 section ). And the other pdf is quite handy - Mine pkt 2014. I think it's odd the state owns this chunk of land .

the state can call it whatever they want,but its still public land (you own it!)and some have special restrictions on what can be done with the land in question! some land when donated to the state can have special restrictions placed on the by the donator person,and these restrictions must be respected! all the federal gubermint/state gubermint/local gubermint does is manage these lands for us!
fenixsmom
These guys know a lot more than I do, so you've come to the right place!
Denise
Uhoh, ALOT of confusion in this thread. All maps have a legend defining all the markings on the map. Remember that just because you don't see any markers in the field, doesn't mean it's good to go for prospecting. stop.gif Monument markers are not that big and can be easily hidden or obscured from your vantage point.....not to mention that they could have just been knocked down. Here is a link to a thread CP started a while back regarding state owned land. Great informationthat should be read!!

Colorado Division of Wildlife-state owned lands, access and use rules

I hope this info helps everyone.
dbx
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Feb 8 2014, 08:39 AM) *
Uhoh, ALOT of confusion in this thread. ...
I hope this info helps everyone.

Well, I'm pretty sure I read blue as state owned land. And I wasn't planning to look there anyway, it was just an odd chunk of land for the state to own, I thought.
fenixsmom
Thank you for that link D!!! I've been banging my head against that one for ever!!!
swizz
QUOTE (dbx @ Feb 8 2014, 09:30 AM) *
Well, I'm pretty sure I read blue as state owned land. And I wasn't planning to look there anyway, it was just an odd chunk of land for the state to own, I thought.

Whatever map you're looking at will always have a Key to identify shaded areas.
Blue is typically used as the color key for State owned lands.
Yellow is typically used to identify BLM managed lands.
Green is typically used to identify USFS managed lands.
No maps (that I'm aware of) are accurate with their depiction of borders, rarely even close. Further research is required to determine exact borders of the above mentioned lands if they are not clearly marked in the field. Research is solely and legally the user's responsibility.
MikeS
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Feb 8 2014, 08:39 AM) *
Remember that just because you don't see any markers in the field, doesn't mean it's good to go for prospecting. stop.gif Monument markers are not that big and can be easily hidden or obscured from your vantage point.....not to mention that they could have just been knocked down.

Mrs. CP is right. You have to put in some footwork or as CP put it "beat the bush" when checking for markers/monuments. The thread on "How do I avoid claim jumping" is good to look at.
Caveman
Also, don't forget that the BLM is not the only stop you should make. You should also go by the County Clerk & Recorders office when doing your research.
fenixsmom
Because of patented claims right caveman?
Denise
You can find records of patented claims as well as records of newly filed location claims.
Caveman
The county clerk/recorder will usually have the most up to date record on claims, land sold, etc., not just on patented claims.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.