Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mineral id help #1
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
fenixsmom
Its deep red to a khaki to black with a red glasslike film over parts. I'm sorry for the weak description and even worse pictures. The phone camera is pretty cruddy. I'm guessing red rhodium?
Denise
Hard to tell by photos, but looks possibly more like Mahogany Obsidian to me. Really pretty stuff and if it is, the darker spots will be translucent. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Here is a cabachon I made from some......

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I hope this helps some!
fenixsmom
OMG that's it!!! You're so wonderful! The polished sample you linked to was almost an exact match, but much prettier! Your cabachon is gorgeous!
russau
yes i have a peice of the Mahogony Obsidian knapped out to a arrowhead. i really liked how it pressure flaked off the edges.
fenixsmom
Pictures?
Denise
Here is a picture of a Mahogony Obsidian arrowhead that Phil NM made and donated for raising rally funds in 04'.

Quoting Phil...... smiley-laughing021.gif

Remember, this is a special point. Not only is it one of the first 8 I ever made, it is slightly curved so you can get the deer that's hiding behind the tree...

swizz
That is an extremely nice arrowhead AND extremely funny! smiley-laughing021.gif smiley-laughing021.gif
fenixsmom
That is so pretty!!!!
Caveman
Really like the look of that obsidian - the uncut and the worked both. I'll have to keep my eyes open when I'm out this year.
fenixsmom
Are you referring to mine? It's wet to attempt to show the color (camera failed me). if we ever meet you can have it!
Caveman
Yes, and thank you, but no - you should do something with it, it looks very cool. I am going to try to make the spring outing - perhaps we could meet there, with the rest.
I made one of those last year, and it was a blast!
fenixsmom
Well unfortunately there is nothing I can do with it. I don't have any tools. Maybe I'll give it to Mrs.P to work her magic on if it really is mahogany obsidian. Maybe she can make a awesome piece for the club treasure ches. I just thought it looked cool in the river. The clear red layer looked like a fossil when I pulled it out. I'll look for more the next time I'm in my hidey-hole!
Caveman
Ask Mrs P about the equipment needed to work stones.... I am sure she would be glad to give you advice.
Denise
You can just call me D or Denise. smile.gif ....... Just don't call me late for the chocolate. laugh.gif

If you want you can send it and I will see what I can do with it. Not sure about size or fractures by the picture but I will do my best.
PM coming at you fenixsmom. happy112.gif

Denise
Caveman
Way to go, Denise!
goldchef
what is this
fenixsmom
Quartz with iron veins?
traddoerr
QUOTE (goldchef @ Mar 12 2014, 10:27 PM) *
what is this

Kind of hard to tell from the picture but it looks like it may be a chuck of petrified wood, we have collected a bunch from the creek (the kids have any way), polished up they look great.
Woody
yes that picture is kind of vauge. Can't really tell if that is Quartz or Microcline, Light Green or Sky Blue?

If that color is light green, well I'd say it was microcline with a weak showing of Amazonite. If that color tint is Sky Blue than I would suggest it is Quartz. Blue is one of the natural color varriaties of Quartz.

If I had to hazzard a guess I would say Blue Quartz. Woody
goldchef
QUOTE (Woody @ Mar 12 2014, 11:25 PM) *
yes that picture is kind of vauge. Can't really tell if that is Quartz or Microcline, Light Green or Sky Blue?

If that color is light green, well I'd say it was microcline with a weak showing of Amazonite. If that color tint is Sky Blue than I would suggest it is Quartz. Blue is one of the natural color varriaties of Quartz.

If I had to hazzard a guess I would say Blue Quartz. Woody

its green very shinny almost translucent
Denise
I think you could be describing what might be Epidote but the picture you are showing looks like a cobble stone....possibly Jasper?
Definitely not Amazonite from what I see. Always hard to tell from just a picture, you do a hardness test on it yet?
goldchef
no i have not. dont know how
CP
Hi Goldchef,

You'll see two threads for both Mohs hardness and mineral id'ing in this forum section pinned at the top. That should help narrow down the possibilities some what.
Personally I didn't see any blue or green hue to this rock......looks like a piece of quartz to my eye in the picture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.