Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is it?
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Chef Mel
What a glorious day! I went scouting on the new property (where I work) and dug around but no treasures were found, but who cares; it was just nice to get outside!

Ok, so there is this structure on the property and not sure what it is, any guesses?

fenixsmom
Some sort of picture would be helpful smiley-chores016.gif
Chef Mel
QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Jan 25 2014, 03:03 PM) *
Some sort of picture would be helpful smiley-chores016.gif

Ahhh, can't get the pics to upload. greensmilies-025.gif
fenixsmom
Was there any evidence of a hearth? If not I would guess a storage shed of sorts. If there is a shaft, naturally its a mine. Be careful out there. Tell someone where you're going in case it really is a mine shaft. Don't want to fall in and no one know where you are!
fenixsmom
Awesome place though! I love exploring old buildings!
Chef Mel
No evidence of a hearth or mine shafts. There are a several fairly deep (8 feet) test holes around the structure and lots of old tin cans. Had my hubby take me out there so I was not alone. He sat and read a book while poked around. This is the view from the area.
russau
QUOTE (Chef Mel @ Jan 26 2014, 05:14 AM) *
No evidence of a hearth or mine shafts. There are a several fairly deep (8 feet) test holes around the structure and lots of old tin cans. Had my hubby take me out there so I was not alone. He sat and read a book while poked around. This is the view from the area.

yep storage of somesort! what a beautiful veiw!
fenixsmom
Simply gorgeous! I'm jealous in a good way!
RhodoRose
Looks kind of big to be just a root cellar. Who knows - could be all of the above, with a few Glory Holes where someone was hoping to strike it rich. A lot of greenhorns came to the Pikes Peak region thinking there was placer gold - nice, shiny nuggets in the ground just waiting to be dug up. No concept of geology or hard rock mining(!) Or perhaps the summer dwelling of a cattle herder, like Womack, who decided to poke around with a shovel and see if there was anything to be had. Part of the fun of gem and mineral hunting for me is the history, and imagining the possible stories behind the things left behind. And what can beat a beautiful day outdoors in the mountains? - glad you enjoyed it! : )

Typing one-handed today, I had wrist surgery on Tuesday. Hopefully back to prospecting and playing my instruments soon - also hope to meet some of you nice people soon! smile.gif
fenixsmom
Aww I'm so sorry to hear about your surgery. Get better soon!!!!
Denise
Great pictures!! I agree, it's great just getting out in this beautiful state. Sorry to hear your down right now, I hope you have a speedy recovery.
russau
get well soon Rose!
GoldpannerDave
That sure looks like a place off Hwy 24 that I must have passed a hundred times. Of course, it could just look like it. :)
russau
Mountainmen stored provisions and gun powder up in the mountains where they hunt to keep from running low and needing to make extra trips to restock supplies. that's what I think this cabin/building is for.
AirBreather
There are a couple of those tyep of structures in the same condition up where I hunt, the other side of Breakneck Pass. We belive them to be old miners cabins.... Just a little roof over your head. And there were pieces of an old sheet steel stove strewn about..
panner13
Wow, I would love to explore the area. Sorry your down and out right now. Plan your next adventure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.