Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need ID Help
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
RhodoRose
Hello!
My first CP posting... I found the following 2 specimens near the Helen Hunt Falls last summer and was wondering if anyone could help me positive ID. I think the first, translucent specimen is a piece of clear quartz, but I'm not so sure about the second specimen. The translucent specimen measures 2-7/8" long and nearly 1" square. The blue-green specimen is a roughly 1.5" cube.
Thanks for looking!
Denise
smileywaving.gif Hi RhodoRose and welcome to the CP forums! Cool looking finds there.
Looking at the picture the second find looks like Amazonite to me. happy088.gif

I hope this info helps! Make yourself at home around the site and thanks for sharing your finds with us!
smile.gif
RhodoRose
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Jan 19 2014, 11:26 AM) *
smileywaving.gif Hi RhodoRose and welcome to the CP forums! Cool looking finds there.
Looking at the picture the second find looks like Amazonite to me. happy088.gif

I hope this info helps! Make yourself at home around the site and thanks for sharing your finds with us!
smile.gif
RhodoRose
Hello and thank-you for the reply!

I thought it was amazonite, too, but then the translucent blue-green and purple areas made me unsure. Can amazonite be translucent, and can it also have purple shading?

fenixsmom
Looks like Amazonite with iron or calcium oxidizatio. I'm not an expert by any means. I just googled it.
texas mark
hey Rhodorose .Thats so cool looking. I just love Gems man they get my adreinlen pumpin . Hey if you or anyone you know are looking for anyones help up there this 2014 season would you please have them contact me I would appreciate it.
Again thats cool find

TEXAS MARK thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
CP
Hi RhodoRose,

Actually no amazonite won't be translucent in it's natural form, but another variation of the microclines that can be clear or tanslucent would be albite. Like amazonite albite is also in the microcline group with just a slightly different chemical make up, if I remember my reading correctly. That might be then an overgrowth layer of the albite possibly making it appear to have a blue translucence from the amazonite being blue underneath. Interesting piece. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Denise
The purple areas could be where Fluorites formed or were trying to form on the Amazonite...... Just an idea. They are associated miners so could be a possibility. Hard to tell just by photos.
RhodoRose
Hey! - Thought I'd post some photos of stuff I found around the Helen Hunt Falls/Upper Gold Camp Road area a couple of weeks ago. I found these in the tailings of an old claim which (thanks to LR2000!) I determined to have been Closed for years. Proof that one man's trash is another man's treasure!

I've since soaked these in Iron Out rust remover, so as soon as I clean and polish them a bit more, I'll post the finished thing!

Check out that monster smokey quartz combo! It's cleaning up nicely, all the rust is gone and it's just the stunning black smokeys growing out of light pink Pikes Peak granite. Think I was excited when I found that one? extra_happy.gif
swizz
Outstanding! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
I love it when a plan comes together. Awesome job on the land status research too!! worthy.gif
Maybe it's worth re-staking and claiming? Very nice to have a spot that you know you have the sole rights to.... and you've already found locatable minerals. chaplin.gif Claim ownership has it's privileges.
Thank you for sharing those pics, would love to see that stuff after a full cleaning. greensmilies-012.gif
noonie
Great pics! That quartz is really impressive..... I'm inspired now and cant wait to visit your neck of the woods next week!
Crusty
Very nice finds! I need to get back out there!!
Denise
Sweet finds and beautiful location!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Looking forward to seeing them cleaned up, another fun process that can reveal combo pieces......so keep an eye on the pieces as you clean them. I love watching a Fluorite or a piece of Goethite popping into the picture as you clean them. cloud9.gif

Keep up the good work, your doing great!
happy088.gif
noonie
I need some ID help too - we went to this similar location near Helen Hunt falls in Colorado Springs, and found quartzes and some what looks like big sheets of mica. Also found this blueish green stone - all pieces were about a quarter sized or less, and we're not sure what they are. Can anyone help us id them?

Thanks for the tips, especially Woody and Rhodorose! We had a great time rockhounding with the kids.
Woody
Noonie,

It looks like you found yourself some Amazonite. Do a Google search on it and you will see some great specimens. That area up there usually does not produce the best of what Amazonite has to offer but none the less, it is Amazonite and a nice colletable icon of Colorado. Woody.
Denise
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Sounds like it was a great day for you and the kids Noonie! Definitely looks like Amazonite to me also. You can also do a search here in the forums for pictures of Amazonite, some great examples of other forum members finds. Here is also a quick link to some Colorado Amazonite.

Thanks for sharing some pics of your finds with us. happy088.gif
RhodoRose
...What Woody said. That's awesome, glad you had a fun trip! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.