Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's This? #39
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
Denise
These are always fun! Can anyone tell just by the picture what this is? eating-popcorn-03.gif

russau
well to me it looks like a pottery shard
fenixsmom
Is it Azureite? chin.gif
CP
Good trys but nope not a pottery shard and it's not Azurite.....keep trying happy112.gif
RhodoRose
Just a guess off the top of my head, looks like lapis lazuli to me.
Denise
Good eye Erika, it is Lapis Lazuli. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

A combination of the three minerals Lazurite, Calcite and Pyrite.
This is a great piece that Dyphero got in Afghanistan and sent us. We will be making some cool cabachons for him with it.
chores041.gif
fenixsmom
Good job RhodoRose!!!!!
RhodoRose
biggrin.gif Thanks - maybe all the years of poring over the display cases at the Coors Mineral Hall are starting to pay off!
fenixsmom
Beautiful sample Mrs. Cp! Please post pics of the finished product!
Denise
happy.gif Thanks! I will definately be adding pictures when I'm finished. happy088.gif Will be able to get several cabachons from it. Even a heart for his sweet heart. purple_heart.gif
Dypheron
QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Jan 23 2014, 07:36 AM) *
happy.gif Thanks! I will definately be adding pictures when I'm finished. happy088.gif Will be able to get several cabachons from it. Even a heart for his sweet heart. purple_heart.gif

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Don't forget to cut some good ones for yourself!
Denise
Definately will do. Might just have to make two hearts then. biggrin.gif Very pretty stuff, will be fun to work. We'll be getting the 6" saw ready for it later. I will take some pics of the process. Might even turn the webcam on for some of it? confused0082[1].gif
Coalbunny
I was thinking lazurite, but I see a few folks beat me to it. I have a small piece I picked up years ago, darned if I can remember where. And darned if I can remember where I put it. :(
russau
i still say it looks like a broken shard of a coffee cup!:)
Denise
Really Russ?! To me this piece looks like (it could be) a butterfly....hmmmmmm!
spock.gif chin.gif

russau
haha, but it sure is a pretty stone what ever it is! i know youll do wonders with it! :)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.