Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Meteorite Etching Question
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Gem and Mineral Specimen Finds or Processes
swizz
Probably a good question for Johnny....
I own a small slice of a Campo specimen pictured below and would like to refresh the etching to bring the detail back.
I use Ferric Chloride for etching carbon steel on knives.... will this work well to refresh the Campo or should I be considering another etchant?
swizz
Google is my friend.... I just stumbled upon this excellent article which explains the process in detail and recommends Ferric Chloride: Meteorite Etching
I'm going to give it a try.
russau
Swizz, thanks for that link! it is some interesting reading. not that im going to start doing this but you never know!
swizz
Glad you liked it russ. I have to work today but might give it a try this afternoon or tonight. I'll update this thread with results.
ASTROBLEME
swizz,

The specimen already looks fine in my opinion but I just like looking at meteorites...no matter what condition.

If you wash off the etching solution with water or otherwise put water on the slice during the process, I suggest the final step would be soaking the slice in Everclear grain alcohol to remove most traces of remaining water. That will slow the process of rusting into the near future. Humidity and handling is a problem for keeping an etch intact.

Of course, if any grain alcohol is left over...you can throw a party and invite some folks over to see the fresh etching! drool.gif

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.