Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need links for general geology
Colorado Prospector - Gem and mineral prospecting and mining forums > Prospecting, Mineral Collecting and Treasure Hunting Forums > Prospectors and Rockhounding Field Work
dbx
I've looked through several links; none really get me what I think I need.
I guess I'd like to be able to identify different rocks, so when out on a hike,
I don't walk by something unique. And I tend to hike way out of the way places,
not likely anybody's' claim. I think interest comes from a trip to Colorado School of Mines
Geology Museum
and realized the vast variety out there. And, yes, I watched a couple
shows of the gem hunters on the weather channel. ( they're characters, for sure )
Also, is there a central place to check for existing claims - easily ?
MikeS
I recommend a good book or two to learn as opposed to a website. "Simon and Shuster's Guide to Rocks and Minerals" is a good one so is the Audobon Society book. A good website that details what is found in certain locals in Colorado is the Peak to Peak website.
http://www.peaktopeak.com/colorado/index.php
You can search by mineral or by location.
russau
Mike thats a real nice link! Thankyou!
swizz
QUOTE (MikeS @ Jan 10 2014, 07:50 PM) *
I recommend a good book or two to learn as opposed to a website. "Simon and Shuster's Guide to Rocks and Minerals" is a good one so is the Audobon Society book. A good website that details what is found in certain locals in Colorado is the Peak to Peak website.
http://www.peaktopeak.com/colorado/index.php
You can search by mineral or by location.

I have that book and agree, learned a lot from that one. It's a very good general reference to have on hand.
Excellent link also, thanks and welcome to CP Mike! sign0016.gif
MikeS
Thanks for the warm welcome swizz.
MikeS
As for the mine claim question. I have not found any online reliable sources for current mine claims but it sounds like you can get maps and other information from your local Bureau of Land Management office. I have not staked a claim yet but I am looking to this year. Here are some links with further details on how to stake a claim.

http://www.theprospector.com/html/howtostakeclaims.html

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/BLM_Programs/m...ing_claims.html
Denise
QUOTE (dbx @ Jan 10 2014, 02:13 PM) *
I've looked through several links; none really get me what I think I need.
I guess I'd like to be able to identify different rocks, so when out on a hike,
I don't walk by something unique. And I tend to hike way out of the way places,
not likely anybody's' claim. I think interest comes from a trip to Colorado School of Mines
Geology Museum
and realized the vast variety out there. And, yes, I watched a couple
shows of the gem hunters on the weather channel. ( they're characters, for sure )
Also, is there a central place to check for existing claims - easily ?

Great questions dbx! The first link that pops into my mind for general geology info would be Geology.com. They have great information on identifying rocks and minerals I think. You sound like you are on the right track for looking for the right information for prospecting. You do need to remember that when you are out hiking, once you pick up a rock or mineral you are prospecting. You might also be surprised how deep in the woods or off the trail you may be, there could be claims there......so be careful! Colorado in itself hold over 770 different mineral types so dig in. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

As far as looking for existing claims easily.......sorry to say that there is no single place for that info even online. sadno.gif
Claims can be filed anytime so that info changes quickly. Fortunately you found the only club/website that can help you sucessfully do that for your own personal sucess in the field. We've helped many club members learn this process for any state or area of interest to them. happy088.gif

dbx
Thanks for the links and book reference.
I go by the BLM weekly, just never went in.
I'm finally at the point in life, with funds
and health, to go 'prospecting', though
realistically, it'll be as hobby and exercise.
But ya never know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.